New York to Orlando

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

DanielRawson
    Participant

Can I get some opinions please. I’m flying with my wife and 4 year old in July to Orlando via 3 days in New York. When booking internal flights a suggestion came up of using Westchester Airport which is about 45 minutes outside Manhattan. Does anyone think this may actually be easier with it being a small airport rather than the the faster journey to JFK?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

You may find Newark easier and I’m assuming there are flights from there to Orlando. Westchester I know very little about but i thought it was mainly for private jets.

If you’re worried about getting to jfk apart from the Limo’s, you can take the subway and then the airport train. It’s very easy and not at all expensive.

Stamford777
    Participant

I live near Westchester Airport (HPN) but if starting from Manhattan I would say Jet Blue from JFK is your best bet. HPN is small and cramped with no lounges and gets congested very easily.When it is not crowded and flights are on time it is a delight (TSA are very nice here) but it is not always that way. Jet Blue terminal at JFK is light and airy with loads of food and bev options.

GoonerLondon
    Participant

There are a number of flights from LGA – this is much closer to manhattan.

Delta or Jet Blue.

PatJordan
    Participant

I have used Newark – Orlando. Newark is easier to reach by cab/limo than JFK and is a pleasant airport.

Continental used to fly Newark – Orlando, but I don’t know what their current schedules are.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

I would agree with GoonerLondon – La Guardia is easy to reach from all of Manhattan and is relatively cheap in a taxi.

I travelled to LGA in December, from Manhattan, Wall St to the airport was $25.00 with UBER and took 20 mins.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Westchester is a superb alternative to the other big NYC airports, if you are staying in the locality..

kt0rlando
    Participant

Unless you’re very close to WestChester I wouldn’t recommend it. As someone said earlier it’s very small, limited (and expensive) food and drinks landside and even more limited in the large room that is the departures lounge!

Biggest drawback though is its small size an the fact that in the case of any throttling or closing down of NY airspace HPN invariable loses out – as I found out (again!) last July – and priority is given to EWR JFK and LGA! That and limited airlines with direct flights (via Jet Blue) and I’d choose LGA or JFK any day of the week unless I was actually in WestChester or Somers etc.

DanielRawson
    Participant

Thanks folks. That’s all sorted and have taken the advice and booked a flight out of LGA.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I always forget about LGA. I think it’s a very nice airport. Good choice.

Senator
    Participant

LuganoPirate, I think you are the first person I have seen use the term “nice” and La Guardia (LGA) in the same sentence 🙂 As an airport, I find it to be run-down, tatty, and rather unpleasant. Furthermore it experience, due to its runway options, extensive delays.

It has two advantages:
    Proximity to Manhattan
    Stunning views when landing from the south on most days

When I have limited packing, I take the subway to Jackson Heights/Roosevelt Avenue and a taxi from there. Takes 10min and it costs about $10 one-way…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls