New R1 Tax

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

• Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

So there is a new UK departure tax of £8.90 now quoting on new tickets. Anyone know what this is for? No doubt simply targeting the travel industry again and will go straight in the Treasury’s pocket- to pay for furlough no doubt. As if this industry wasn’t shafted enough as it is.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Stevescoots
    Participant

I dont think its much and wont stop people travelling when they can, and we have to pay ourselves out of this mess somehow.

4 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1092279]

Back in the real world it’s nothing to do with HM Treasury and everything to do with Heathrow Airport.

Heathrow Airport’s Ridiculous Demand To Passengers And Airlines

6 users thanked author for this post.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

I think that an arrivals “tax” of £1750 for a 10 night stay in an airport hotel will have more impact than an £8.90 departure tax.
    https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-travellers-from-red-list-countries-will-have-to-pay-1-750-for-10-day-hotel-quarantine-12213267

1 user thanked author for this post.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

FaroFlyer… and don’t forget the additional two £100 tests that you have to take while locked away… totally pointless if you are tucked away isolating in your hotel room… why not a single test the day before release by which time you will actually be positive or (with luck) negative… But, of course, with a bit more luck you will be allowed through with no assessments at all, no hotel and no tests like recent passengers from South Africa… One wonders how we ever ran an empire….

Stevescoots
    Participant

[postquote quote=1092398]

I agree, i have 4 tests while in qurantine in Vietnam. the reason is because if you test positive you get pulled out and strait into hospital isolation. whilst in the UK you just get told to stay isolated in the hotel unless you get sick. I agree no point in several tests using the Uk model. test on arrival and test when leaving is enough, or even forget the arrival test, what are they going to do if you test positive?

Raffles99
    Participant

In simple terms, the airlines and Heathrow have a deal that certain services (eg terminal electricity) will be provided on a cost-neutral basis. Part of the existing charges are ring-fenced for this.

With no passengers, the money allocated to cover these costs from landing and passenger service charges is nowhere near enough to cover these costs.

R1 is a fee which to recover the money which Heathrow is owed by the airlines.

In theory – well, to be fair given that the regulations are set in stone, in fact – it will drop away when passenger numbers return to normal and all the money due for arrears has been paid.

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

If you think £8.90 is bad just wait until the other tax changes needed to recover the cost of this pandemic.

6 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

Sorry G&T , wish BT would move the report button away from the thanks button, or at the very least add a remove report button for inadvertent clicking

Anyway , £8.90 seems a trivial amount to pay if you deem it necessary to hop on a plane to destinations abroad
    As for the quarantine charges of £1750 , I’m assuming they’ve not seen the Lenny Henry adverts ?

MY companies travel policy wouldn’t allow me to book into a hotel with that nightly rate !

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

No worries canucklad. See it’s now been reported as a LHR charge to add some revenue to airport running costs.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

“It’s only £8.90” but I think that’s £8.90 too much. LHR is a monopoly and as such the government should step in, regulate fees and abolish this R1 tax.
    Slightly off topic, I find it incredible that the UK allows foreign entities to buy key infrastructure. Imagine the Chinese selling Beijing airport, or the Qatari’s DOH? Would never be allowed!!

DavidSmith2
    Participant

so, if I understand correctly, this is a levy charged by LHR for planes arriving and departing from their airport. It is not imposed by or collected by the Government. Is that correct? In which case I do not see how they can refer to it as a tax. It is a levy or a charge. A tax cannot be levied by a commercial company, only by a statutory authority.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1092455]so, if I understand correctly, this is a levy charged by LHR[/quote]

Correct. At time of writing it’s a charge imposed by LHR alone. But of course we might see other airports doing likewise such is the decline in the revenue they gain from airlines and their passengers.

I find that many staff of airlines and travel agents describe APD as a “tax” when in fact it’s considered duty at the time of purchase.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1092459]I find that many staff of airlines and travel agents describe APD as a “tax” when in fact it’s considered duty at the time of purchase.[/quote]

Correct Alex. Indeed, this extends to “Car Parking Fines”. I still see notices at some car parks which refer to a “Fine” for over-staying or non-payment. It is of course – if there is a properly visible notice displaying the terms and conditions for parking – a breach of contract, for which the car park managers would have to sue, if the charge is ignored.

RoyJones
    Participant

I thought the CAA regulated Heathrow and how much it can charge. It strikes me that either (a) Heathrow has CAA approval for this or (b) Heathrow have ignored the rules “because of COVID”.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls