New iPhone Out This Summer?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

Rumours abound that a new iPhone 4G will be released this summer.

A few possible features of iPhone 4G:

A new, sleeker body design.

OLED screen.

Multi-Tasking. (use multiple functions at once without going in and out of apps)

iChat camera (on the front so you can have video chat!!!)

32G (basic) and 64G of memory.

Removable Battery.

Hi Definition Camera.

Hi Definition Camcorder.

Hi Definition audio.

Messaging light.

True GPS built in.

Let’s see if there is an imminent announcement about this in the next few weeks.

wanula1
    Participant

This is on most of the news web sites, the BBC link is below:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8610610.stm

VintageKrug
    Participant

Those reports reference a new Operating System (OS/software).

My post relates to new hardware.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

VK

A slimmer design AND a user-replaceable battery would be difficult to achieve at the same time. The reason Apple give for not having a user-replaceable battery in the 3GS is that the compartment required would compromise the phone’s size.

I’m not convinced by Apple’s argument and will be interested to see if you’re right. Battery technology is not Apple’s strong point. I have two MacBook Pros (the previous model – one 15 and one 17) and I get almost no meaningful battery life from either, so they effectively live with the mag power cord attached.

The battery life on my 3GS is also so poor that I’ve recently invested in a MiLi iPhone Power Pack, which effectively doubles the battery life (in reality, it means I only have to recharge it once a day, not twice). The phone is 5 months old.

Simon

BlackTower
    Participant

being able to have more than 200 emails in an inbox and running flash player would be a great leap forward

Its a rubbish business tool/great pleasure tool

Kaicat75
    Participant

VintageKrug
    Participant

SimonRowberry
    Participant

It looks pretty genuine to me, VK.

Most of the features you speculated on seem to be included, although a removable battery still seems beyond Apple.

Pity there are no clues re the memory. Anything less than 64GB will be a disappointment .

I have a 160GB iPod Classic and that holds all my iTunes collection, including a thousand Podcasts and iTunes U stuff, plus FinalCut movies and my entire iPhoto/Aperture collection, and there’s still about 25GB left over. Whilst to expect that sort of memory from an iPhone is probably unrealistic at present (the iPod Classic’s hard drive is partly mechanical), I’d be ecstatic if it had 80GB.

I hope not too many Forum posters are stranded at the moment.

Simon

Kaicat75
    Participant

apple have taken the time to explain why we will never see flash on an iphone

http://www.t3.com/news/jobs-on-why-apple-bans-adobe-flash-from-the-iphone?=45149

VintageKrug
    Participant

I wonder when the new phone will emerge in the UK? Maybe September..?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Or will it be announced next week…my money would be on a June 7 announcement.

VintageKrug
    Participant

And indeed my prescience was correct:

http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2010/06/07/apple-iphone-4-to-launch-later-today/

Apple kicks off its WWDC (Worldwide Developer’s Conference) today.

CEO Steve Jobs will deliver his opening keynote at 10am San Francisco time, which is 6pm over here.

He is expected to reveal the iPhone 4, even though it has already been (sort of) revealed in the whole prototype-left-in-a-bar escapade.

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

“And indeed my prescience was correct”

Is VK actually Steve Jobs then? Or is Willie Walsh still the bookies’ favourite? David Cameron? Geoff Hurst?

Anyway, pity the iPhone 4 uses the same screen size in relation to the height, it’s fine at 3.5 inches (size matters so much these days) but there’s a fair bit of empty space above and below it. When the first iPhone was launched there really wasn’t anything to touch it (pun intended) but now other phones like the HTC HD2 and Sony Ericsson Experia have the screen taking up effectively the whole front face. Surely the iPhone home button can be relegated to an edge and the earpiece incorporated as with these other models.
    Think I’ll settle for the OS upgrade to the 3GS.

flyingformiles
    Participant

Only a shame there didn’t increase it beyond 32GB.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls