New high-density B737 rolls-out today

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• Anonymous

Charles-P
    Participant

The desire of some airlines to squeeze us all in to ever more dense aircraft continues with Boeing announcing today the first flight of the 737 MAX 200

The MAX 200 is named for its seating for up to 200 passengers in a single-class high-density configuration with ultra slimline seats. An extra exit door is required because of the higher passenger capacity. Three of eight galley trolleys are also removed to accommodate more passenger space.

On September 8, 2014, Ryanair signed an agreement with Boeing to purchase up to 200 new Boeing 737 MAX 200 “gamechanger” aircraft – comprising 100 firm orders and 100 options.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/102360/boeing-unveils-first-b737-max-8

What needs to be mentioned is that this B737 MAX (the B737 family dates from the late 1960s) is not just for short-haul use. There are also variants which can tackle long-haul too.

Already Norwegian has said it will operate this B737 MAX on transatlantic flights starting in 2016 – please refer to the piece I wrote about this in the November issue of the magazine.

Airbus has a rival A321 neo with similar seat count and range capability.

IAG has indicated it’s a possibility for SNN to US East Coast.

GrahamSmith

Also, the B737 Max 8 hasn’t flown yet, it’s just been rolled-out. I’ve edited the thread title.

Charles-P
    Participant

Graham Smith – true and thanks for the edit but Boeing’s order book shows 2,955 of the 737 Max planes in the backlog so it is coming
    Airbus, which launched its A320neo program several months before Boeing launched the 737 Max, has firm orders for around 4,400 A320neo jets at the end of November.

These new very high density aircraft are coming and as was said in the BT story highlighted above they are going to be used on not just short haul. I wrote this post to illustrate what I think is a real fundamental change in the type of aircraft we are going to see in the years to come. The low cost airlines are going to pack their passengers in ever tighter until people call “enough”, as yet that is not happening.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Alex and Graham, I am sure what Charles was pointing out is that an airline like Ryanair that already squeezes 189 passengers into their 737-800’s, is the launch customer for the 737 Max 200 which is the same size as the 737-800 and 737 Max 8, but is happy to squeeze yet another 11 pax in which will entail two more rows. When does such a seat pitch become inhumane???

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I take your point, dutchyankee.

But it’s not just Ryanair.

I’m sure Norwegian will apply dense seating when it starts Cork-Boston in 2016.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/102088/norwegian-to-launch-flights-from-cork-to-boston

In fact, Norwegian did recently operate a service from LGW to JFK using one of its short-haul B737s.

A B787 had failed and the quickest way to move some stranded passengers was to draft in a short-haul B737.

However, the flight didn’t operate non-stop. It routed LGW-JFK via REK.

Charles-P
    Participant

In my view we are going to see two very different types of airline travel in the future.

Business – people prepared to pay for comfort, decent food, entertainment and other ‘luxuries’

Basic Economy – people focused on no more than the price who will put up with being packed into ever smaller spaces with no frills whatsoever as long as the cost V comfort trade off is ok for them.

I give as an example my daughter who will happily join Daddy in Business when he is paying but will also cheerfully live with easyjet etc when it is her cash.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

So they fit in eleven more pax by removing 37.5% of the galley trolleys. I wonder what that will do to the returns on F&B charges…. Or perhaps they will put aside some more space for defibrillators, anticoagulants and compression stockings for all the DVT Sufferers…

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Ian – In fact this is nothing new. IAG’s Vueling is already operating what it calls an “enhanced comfort” A320.

It has slimline seating and reduced galley space.

What is also worrying is that I am sure the number of toilets on these aircraft are also being reduced.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Alex-On…IAG-Group-acquires-enhanced-comfort-A320

Charles-P
    Participant

“enhanced comfort” on a high density aircraft ?

Right up there as corporate doublespeak.

superchris
    Participant

well thats something to look forward to then……

EastCoast747
    Participant

Lavatories ?? Probably not….

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

EastCoast747 – lavatories yes – but they will be outside ( and you’ll pay for the view!!)

EastCoast747
    Participant

Oh dear – we know what happens when you….in the wind.

Had to laugh last week on a Southwest 737 when a waggish male flight attendant announced as part of the briefing “There are two lavatories on this aircraft – a Men’s Room at the front and a Men’s Room at the rear.Sorry ladies…..”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls