New format for Forum pages: Message to Forum Manager

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

• Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

I think what you are suggesting Martyn is to only allow forum accounts to be opened using e-m addresses from private/business domains and not public ones such as ISP/hotmail/gmail.Please correct me if I have the wrong take.

That would certainly help with validation, however it may also curtail some users eg Not all airline staff may have an employers e-mail account so can only use the usual public e-mails such as ISP / hotmail / gmail / yahoo facility.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

The problem with only using a business address is that many people do not have them or are not allowed to use them other than for company business.

I have no affiliations with any airline, other than a love for Swiss, nor any travel company but I only use a “yahoo” address, which is paid for, but no-one would know that.

To restrict it to business addresses would mean many could not contribute including perhaps retired travelers who no longer work so have no business address but do have an enormous amount of experience to contribute.

I’m not particularly bothered if any forum poster pushes his or her favourite airline, I’m old enough to make up my own mind but I am grateful when someone can give advice on a particular airline or hotel even to an experienced traveler such as myself. No one is too old to learn something new,

The only change I would make is that people have to post say 10 times before they are allowed to start a new topic. This would push out those mysterious advertisers who are looking for a freebie and I’m sure from their comments BT could quickly see if they are spurious or not.

RichHI1
    Participant

As an owner of my own business I feel very strongly about the use of corporate emails for personal purposes. I do not think people should be encouraged to use their emloyer’s email account for personal activity. If it is their personal opinion, then they do not speak for the company and if it is the company view then they should not be pretending to be an individual with independent view.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I’ll look into this, but there may be a simpler answer – our error.

As you know we send out a newsletter every Thursday, but other editions of Business Traveller send out their own email newsletters on other days, and at other times.

As part of the newsletter there is the functionality to update a forum widget, which then allows the recipient to see the current forum discussions. If you don’t update it, then the template simply populates it with old discussions (or the ones that were there on the template).

Occasionally this happens, and then users see a thread and post on it, reigniting some long lost thread from the past.

While this has the advantage of pushing down threads whcih have become very tedious, it is actually an error on our part and one for which staff are dangled out of the window of Business Traveller towers until they promise to concentrate more before pressing “send”.

So if that is the reason, apologies.

And it was good to meet a few of you at the Business Travel Show yesterday

Tom Otley

Irons80
    Participant

And there goes the theory of some that it was VK doing it. Maybe they’ll stop now with their frankly boring and very slightly obsessive posts.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

08/02/2012 10:43 GMT

What a sad post.

From 20th December – 31st January I was lucky enough to be travelling in the South Pacific for pleasure. I had little access to IT and much as I enjoy the BT forums they weren’t high enough on my list of things to look at! Mrs HT and I had an amazing trip. A once in a lifetime. Well, we might do it again some day if we get the chance.

It’s sad that disagreeing with views and challenging the experience of the person expressing them is seen as an attack and badmouthing. I suppose there are some people around who can’t accept challenge to their view point and get very entrenched in expressing it.

A little justification for stances adopted is a much more mature way to behave rather than posting mantras and links to an airline website that anyone with a little intelligence could find if they were sufficiently interested.

I was talking to a colleague yesterday who actually drew my attention to the post I’ve referred to above, they know my handle in this forum but don’t post here themselves as far as I know. I believe he only reads the SQ forum on Flyertalk.

He told me of a poster there who adopts a line of SQ is perfect at everything they ever do and are faultless, the best airline in the world and so on. He even a few weeks ago started attacking people who were complaining about the website and stating that he had no problems with it and they mustn’t know what they were doing. That got rather a lot of frequent posters cross and let’s say he was challenged strongly and in one of his responses he said something like SQ was a wonderful company and he hoped he’d be lucky enough to fly with them one day. FT allows people to quote and his post was quoted probably before he realised what he had posted and removed it.

It does beg the question of whether someone who blindly advocates one airline has really ever travelled with it or are they just continually doing desk top research which of course if you had the time and not much else to do, would make you pretty well informed.

I just wonder.

I think both the French and the Germans would take exception to HT being described as champagne

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

Well said Rich

Henkel – I also share your views

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

Well said Rich

Henkel – I also share your views

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I agree with Rich. All post, especially if marked P & C is opened on arrival and all electronic mail boxes can be inspected at any time. These are the rules I have to adhere to and agree with if I am contracted to any company.

However, what I was suggesting, was that the mail address is merely used by BT so that a poster can be identified by BT for poster verification purposes, i.e. someone knows who Mr or Mrs 007 actually is – I was certainly not advocating for these details to be published alongside a post. It amazes me in trade journals when peoples companies are identified next to personal comments.

I guess it all depends how seriously you take the people behind the posts. Personally, I am interested in the post, whether it is from an old bottle of plonk or a blatantly loyal fan of BA – who cares!!

I have been subjected to abuse into my personal mail inbox only once by a poster using the handle Peter Boulton (which considering the fact I openly publish my email address, does surprise me). Was I bothered, not really, I reported it the the BT team, but I am still here safe and sound.

We all are mature enough to consider and evaluate the information flow. If not, well quite frankly, you shouldn’t be using open forums.

Have a great weekend everyone, life is fabulous, but only if you let it !!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls