New format for Forum pages: Message to Forum Manager

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

• Tim2soza
    Participant

If we are to have paged threads, please could they be date descending, otherwise long threads are going to need lots of clicks to get to the newest stuff.

Thanks.

Tim2soza
    Participant

I also repeat my offer that if the forum can be made RSS’able, I’d be happy to create iPhone and Android Apps for the forum content, no charge and no cost for the App to download.

VintageKrug
    Participant

My preference is to have date ascending posts (as is the case now).

Some people have different preferences, of course, so configurability is the way forward!

Bucksnet
    Participant

And of course you can click ‘skip to last post’ which has always been there.

stevescoots
    Participant

cant say as I noticed any change…..

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I have seen several old posts reappear this morning from a new poster, which appears to be for the sole purpose of removing current discussions down the line.

On the left, a BA flight report has been posted for the 3rd time 3, 4 and 8 February.

Is there a mystery editor or someone with aspirations to be a moderator about??????

VintageKrug
    Participant

The forum posts look like the work of a Bot to me. Just generic statements. Probably best if the user was removed.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

It would be nice if the “recent” posts on the forum home page could be increased from 10 to 20. Sometimes I miss replies when a lot of topics are discussed and the thread I’m contributing to gets pushed down and out.

It then means I have to put in key words or wait for someone with more patience than me to resurrect it!

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

Yes Martyn, am being increasingly drawn to the view Simon shared on a previous thread. The number of coincidences are growing, centred on one well kown poster who has used this tactic several times before on threads which run contra to his BA promoting agenda.

Looks as though he views this forum as his playground to disrupt whenever the mood takes him. Very sad.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Morning T D C – if a high profile poster were to manipulate the forum in that respect, I presume that Tom and his crew would intervene as they would know.

All new handles need an email address and presumably the IP address can be taken found embedded within that email.

VintageKrug
    Participant

While I’d rather not rise to the bait, but after nearly 100 posts in the other thread – it’s all plainly much more interesting than discussing business travel – it’s probably better that I set out my position clearly to avoid another dozen pages of speculation and drivel.

Please desist with all these silly accusations.

There is no evidence whatsoever that I have any other handle on here. I don’t. Never have. Never will.

Happy for BT to explore IP addresses or whatever.

You cannot prove anything, but similarly neither can I refute these allegations; the damage is done in the mud slinging, and it’s got to stop.

Indeed, I don’t believe there’s anything one can do to prove or disprove who any poster is; but the focus should surely switch away from my handle to a group others who seem to be worryingly obsessed with me.

It’s incredibly boring to read the constant accusations from Hengli, Tete, Disgusted, Ishmael, Henkel.Trocken et al (why no-one asks if these are the same poster – two of whom have chosen explicitly champagne related usernames – I’ll never quite understand).

Now I don’t actually think all of these handles are the same person – but there are certainly similarities, and probably more similarities in the posting style, travel pattern and perspectives than might be drawn from similar posts by those other handles which have also been accused of being me.

It does seem to be in some way related to the position I have taken providing a commentary – apparently appreciated by some of the crew I have spoken to – on recent events at BA. It’s a shame open debate is so frowned upon.

Indeed, it’s interesting that Henkel hadn’t posted since the 19 December, and popped up again on 2 Feb within an hour of me posting for the first time in weeks in the “forum posters identity” thread with a diatribe against me.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Forum-poster-identities?page=4

Nearly every single post made by that H.T username since then has referenced me in some way, and if you explore back to that username’s posting history, more than a quarter of the posts are concerned with badmouthing me:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/members/Henkel.Trocken/content/forum-posts

It’s certainly harming the forum; in large part it was the actions of those posters which made me decide to take some time out from posting.

re: this morning’s accusations, johnsmith6 is quite obviously a Bot; the posts are generic, brief and not written in proper English, often referring to thread long thrown into the dustbin (e.g the expired expedia offer). If such accusations happen every time a bot infests the forum, or someone comes in late at night and makes a series of posts, then the forum will indeed “fall apart” as BB set out.

It would help, now the forum is getting busier, if the number of posts shown in the recent posts box was doubled, which would ensure everything got a good airing.

Every user has a unique email address, and although email addresses are pretty easy to create, mine is tied to my BT subscription, in addition I am also known to Mark Caswell and Tom Otley as well as having some recent conversations with other forum posters and Mark Caswell via email about similar accusations, which are completely without foundation.

I trust that BT’s website administration will verify this, and remove the johnsmith6 account in question.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/members/johnsmith6

I have never sought any “attention” and have explicitly asked posters not to refer to me, but to discuss the content of posts, which seems to be being adopted by most by using the “quote date” function.

This obsession with me is really what is most sad about some who post here. Probably quite lonely people.

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

Good morning Martyn, As nearly all forum posters travel, the usual common link/trace – the IP address – can easily be avoided. Different locations and different machines (ipad, iphone, laptop) plus the availabilty of devices in hotels, lounges with dynamic IP addresses etc may well mean following a recurring user’s IP is difficult.

Setting up a new e-m without any verification presents no difficulty either. Annoying, one can only live with the jekyll (bastion of correct grammar, spelling, syntax) and hyde (deliberate errors, street) irritant who occasionally even confuses himself as to which persona is posting.

The guy clearly loves the attention.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Can we have a ‘Like’ button next to each post like you get on Facebook and also be able to sort and search through old posts and threads more easily? Thanks xx

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“Calm down dear” – personally, i would have avoided the bait!

I am pleased to see you back and look forward to post number 4541.

TDC – would it work if the initial email to join the forum came from a business address rather than a hotmail / aol / account. At least that way BT would have visible details of each poster (and before anyone bleats, this is more about this morning “bot” than any of the regulars).

RichHI1
    Participant

Can’t blame the EU, WIllie Wlash or Bassa for this so not interested 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls