New First Class Wing Unveiling

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

• Reeferman
    Participant

Sorry – BA’s CW product (not CE)

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Thank you. I will ask and report back.

Tom

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I wonder in peak periods when transiting through T5, whether exiting airside and using the New Wing will provide a more pleasant and faster experience against using the awful flight connections?

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Yes, it’s a thought. I did something similar at Paris Charles de Gaulle

rferguson
    Participant

Thanks Tom.

I just cannot fathom the reason for not retrofitting at least SOME of the existing fleet – which will remain the bulk of the fleet for at least the next twenty years. I can understand not retrofitting ALL of the current fleet but will the current config really STILL be flying around in another ten years? Thats dreadful!

first_class_please
    Participant

Good morning all.

So, I’ve just used the new wing this morning.

I don’t normally write reviews, but here’s a quick run down, via iPad.

Arrived via the pod to T5 and headed to Travelex for a quick VAT refund claim on a few purchases.

Then headed towards the far right end, H? A few staff welcoming into the wing. You cannot see the check in area from the outside, but 15-20 check in desks. I did not have luggage to check in as through checked from Manchester last night, so did not actually count.

All was quiet.

To the right are then 3 desks, which can be staffed by 4 people to scan your boarding passes, by BA staff, who advised me once through security I would be in the First lounge and I should exit it and walk through to the Concorde lounge, before going to an automated gate for bar code scanning and entry.

Once through there are two security belts, to your left and right. Usual iPads, large electronics, liquids in one tray and bags in others.

It was 9.30am when I went through and probably 6-8 people in front of me at various stages of the check.

Very quick and easy to put items through and go through the personal x-Ray to luggage claim.

This was where the ‘passenger factor’ kicked in. Why, oh, why, do some people insist on standing at the belt and putting all items into pockets / bags before moving out of the way?

Words were spoken by me to a gentlemen in front, suggesting that the large island area that has been provided, complete with inbuilt seats would be a better place to ‘sort himself out’.

Once through here, along a corridor and into the First / Gold lounge. It didn’t come out exactly where I thought it would, by the business centre, but the far end of the drinks bar. (If you entered the lounge the previous way and turned right, that wall in the distance).

Probably 5-7 minutes in total and very relaxed and quiet.

I’m not sure if I gained anything from going through normal security and then through the white door to the lounge, but as I don’t normally start journeys at Hetahrow I was not sure which security that was to use.

All in all very easy.

Concorde lounge unchanged, dark eating area, so so service and OK food.

My wife and I were gold card holders for many years, before swapping to Etihad last year, where I am now Platinum with over 50 sectors in the last year and a card valid until March 2020.

Give me the Abu Dhabi First lounge any day over the Concorde room.

Have to use up the BA miles somehow and now I’m not status chasing 2-4-1 vouchers when available are excellent, for me.

rferguson
    Participant

Here’s Alex Cruz and his welcome speech for today.

Part 2 from Gatwick Airport.

Posted by AIRLIVE.net on Wednesday, 5 April 2017

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Titanic

Deckchairs

New configuration

Yawn…..

Plus people connecting from international flights to First lose their direct entrance to the Concorde Room (not that it is anything worth getting excited about) and now have to do the schlepp down, round and up -or clear immigration and use the first wing – good job BA.

navnov11
    Participant

Received the following from BA today:

British Airways

View email online
    rotation of images of the new Boston and London Gatwick lounges and Boeing Dreamliner 787-9

I’m writing to you with news on the exciting new future of British Airways.

Over the coming months we will be revealing a series of innovative and transformational new products and services, which will change the way you fly with us around the world.

We have been listening and we will be investing where it matters the most. Already we have started making improvements to your experience at the airport, for example we have just modernised our lounges at London Gatwick and Boston to make your journey even faster, smoother and more relaxed.

But there is more to come… a £400m redesign of the Club World experience, state-of-the-art upgrades of some of our busiest lounges, improving our punctuality and baggage handling processes, and introducing the latest generation Wi-Fi across our fleet, to name but a few. You can discover more and stay updated on all our latest news on ba.com.
    ===
    https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/about-ba/whats-new?DM1_SRC=&utm_source=eD&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Email&utm_term=1000hc05mhtl&utm_content=100000158394
    ===

‘All these changes will be introduced on flights between London and New York (JFK) before they’re rolled out to the rest of our long haul network during 2018. And last but not least, you can look forward to a new Club World seat with direct aisle access in 2019.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Yes, he was asked about the seat but nothing new.

My understanding is that it’s essentially the same seat, but with enough room for passengers to access the aisle without the step over.

Let’s discuss the new seat here

A new club world seat in 2019 – so says Mr Cruz

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Here are some photos from British Airways of the new First Wing

British Airways First Wing Heathrow

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

And my own walk from security along the corridor (obviously I didn’t take pictures of the security area)

`

esselle
    Participant

Couple of thoughts;

The corridor in your video looks very bland and unwelcoming. Is it that bad? Good to see them selling some of the space though.

Also, whilst £400m is a lot of money, it is difficult to benchmark. How does it compare with investments made by other airlines upgrade programmes?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls