New credit card charge fees at British Airways

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

• MrMichael
    Participant

A business I advise have recently added a 3% fee capped at e3 for transactions done by credit card. It is a fact of life that the costs and risks associated with Credit Card transactions are higher. I think this will become more and more prevalent not just in the travel sector but all sectors. One of the big Supermarkets in the U.K. will move on this shortly, the others will follow, you mark my words.

esselle
    Participant

I don’t think it’s a bad policy; in Australia it is common for hotels etc to add a credit card surcharge to the bill.

I just think BA should stop making daft comments, in this case about not making a profit from it, where it is perfectly obvious that it is twaddle.

TCSH11
    Participant

So Virgin don’t BA do charge… so it is possible to issue tickets with out a cost, so why are BA charging it’s disgusting. Thing is not sure other than debit, which not everyone can do if they are say waiting to be paid, or claim bk travel… that you could pay… maybe as suggested cash should be allowed.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

so it is possible to issue tickets with out a cost

No it isn’t, it is possible to take a commercial decision to absorb the cost as a sweetener to your customers.

If people do not have the cash available to cover their ticket, maybe they should not be booking one? The UK has a ridiculously high amount of personal debt and most air travel is not essential.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Slightly off topic but in the US many companies levy an extra charge for paying with a credit card and dress is up as ‘convenience fee’. Not necessarily a convenience for the customer!!

MrMichael
    Participant

Those Avios, 2-1 vouchers, gold perks, nectar points, etc etc etc along with all the other “free” perks one can get with a credit card have to be paid for. Nothing is free in life, including free credit cards.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=775233]Those Avios, 2-1 vouchers, gold perks, nectar points, etc etc etc along with all the other “free” perks one can get with a credit card have to be paid for. Nothing is free in life, including free credit cards.

[/quote]

That’s true, but another part of the cost is the cost of fraud, which is not trivial.

At least three times in the last couple of years, my credit card has been the victim of fraud and I’m sure that the merchants who accepted it, for transactions that were not initiated by me, would be charged back by the credit card company.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

As MrMichael notes, these credit card fees will become more commonplace.

The fees will also become higher. To give you an idea of how high they could/will become in future you need only look at how much one airline charge in Australia.

SIA (which currently does not levy a credit card fee in the UK) has hiked its (credit card) fee to 1.35% for tickets issued in, and starting from, Australia. The fee is capped at A$70 which is considerably higher than BA’s maximum fee in the UK.

TCSH11
    Participant

[quote quote=775188]

No it isn’t, it is possible to take a commercial decision to absorb the cost as a sweetener to your customers.

If people do not have the cash available to cover their ticket, maybe they should not be booking one? The UK has a ridiculously high amount of personal debt and most air travel is not essential.

[/quote]

I knew it would be you that picked my post apart.

When I said “with out cost ” it was meant as ” not passing cost to customer” like Virgin.
    As for ” not having cash available” it was meant as “immediately” some people due to increase costs of life etc, have not much “spare cash” but once they are paid they can settle or they claim the money back from their company or client, but have to pay up front. So pay on a card.

Seems you again have nothing better to do then tear other peoples posting apart… Maybe you need a life.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=775331]

When I said “with out cost ” it was meant as ” not passing cost to customer” like Virgin.
    As for ” not having cash available” it was meant as “immediately” some people due to increase costs of life etc, have not much “spare cash” but once they are paid they can settle or they claim the money back from their company or client, but have to pay up front. So pay on a card.

Seems you again have nothing better to do then tear other peoples posting apart… Maybe you need a life.

[/quote]

Maybe you just need to write posts that say what you mean?

JohnHarper
    Participant

[quote quote=775331]I knew it would be you that picked my post apart.

[/quote]

Perhaps you should stick to keeping the window blinds closed on your 787 regardless of the wishes of the passengers. Oh and when you have time, look in the mirror, you will see one of the reasons there why my spend with BA in the last two years has been zero and minimal in the years before.

TCSH11
    Participant

[quote quote=775334]

Maybe you just need to write posts that say what you mean?

[/quote]
    I actually started this post agreeing that BA’s costs are wrong, but guess what, 2 people decided to criticise, attack and belittle me, thus making this once again a personal attack.
    Unfortunately as someone with a condition on the Autistic spectrum, explaining is not always easy, and sometimes does not come across as well I want, but most adults are able to read around it and understand it, and not do what you did and pick holes in things.

As for you John, I am quite happy with who I see on in the mirror as I know I am not someone who expects something for nothing, who is happy to pass blame to others, and oh yes, expect a whole aircraft to suffer because you them. The person I feel sorry for in all your travels is the unfortunate family member or work colleagues who have to sit next to you for hours on end, and listen to you moan for days on end.. but yes am happy to go play, as least it’s more exciting than listening to you demanding control over a piece of plastic in a window, but then anything else I guess would need some form of intelligence.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

John, I’ve switched my ‘Ignore’ button on.

esselle
    Participant

Goodness me. I thought this was a forum swapping experiences/seeking advice from fellow travellers. Suggesting impossible physical activity seems a bit excessive.

Let’s stick to the agenda shall we?

Flightlevel
    Participant

We can all agree to disagree let’s not get personal, schools out for ever!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘New credit card charge fees at British Airways’ is closed to new replies.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls