New credit card charge fees at British Airways

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

The story is here

Some winners, some losers…

British Airways to charge up to £20 for credit card bookings

esselle
    Participant

More spin.

They say they do not profit as these offset credit card charges. Except that they have been paying the charges up until now, so the net charges will in effect now go down, which means their costs are lower……which means they will make more profit.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Can we pay in cash at the Ticket desk,they take cash for excess luggage! Online purchases could be paid within 24hrs!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

There’s an interesting view of the new charges in the comments section of the article

British Airways to charge up to £20 for credit card bookings

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I find this CC charge so wrong, yet another fee with which to fleece us travelers. In Switzerland, Germany, Holland and South Africa you have the possibility to make an instant payment by bank transfer – though you then lose any extra miles / insurance you may get from the CC company.

Clearly BA will make more out of this than on a fixed charge. They know the figures and have dome the sums and if they would make less they wouldn’t be doing it.

Defcon5
    Participant

Interesting this is released the day the cabin crew are voting whether or not to take ballot action. Anticipating more bad news and taking a double hit in one day or is this meant to be positive?

Also, after watching the interview with Cruz it seems he is thinking more about the shareholders than the customer the way he referred to them several times. I guess that’s his job but it does feel a little opportunist. Then again, if you are paying several thousand pounds for a ticket, what is an additional £20?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=775019]

Then again, if you are paying several thousand pounds for a ticket, what is an additional £20?

[/quote]

£20 more than you would have paid, before.

summerfly
    Participant

Maybe the extra revenue from long haul flights can go towards decent pay for the mixed fleet.

I find the changes to fees reasonable but reports that MF are being paid less than they were lead to believe they would get is appalling.

I’m more than happy to pay extra £15 on long haul if crew are treated better.

Defcon5
    Participant

Touché FDOS. I was just trying to be balanced.

It really does feel like a business that is purely driven by profit and nothing else.

What makes many organisations great are the culture and the people but it seems to have gone from BA…

lesmclaren
    Participant

“BA hits the customer yet again” would have been a better headline!

I seem to recall that there was a new law either coming in or proposed that the credit card charge had to reflect the maximum charge from the cc company to their customer [BA in this case]. Whilst 1% may sound a fair charge I doubt that this is anywhere near what BA actually pays owing to the volume of sales – maybe 0.25% max???

It would also seem reasonable to expect that BA has always recovered the cc charge hidden in the ticket price, in which case the ticket price should drop by a corresponding amount. OK I know – pink pigs might fly!!!

canucklad
    Participant

Ditto’d my comment from the new yak,

Totally absolutely, astonishingly and brilliantly genius thinking by the BA team …….
    Yet another inventive way to raise ancillary fee’s.
    I truly believe that BA will beat Ryanscare to the penny for a pee charge …… : )

OneA
    Participant

So my AmEx Centurion card will attract no fee as its a charge card??? Yet my complimentary black BA AmEx credit card will attract a 1% fee of the sum transacted. Why not encourage more people to apply for a BA AmEx (credit) card by making it fee free? It’s 50% APR, along with an annual fee would make a nice little earner for BA!
    Of course most airline tickets are paid for by credit card. Its convenient. The BA business model is built on this expectation of payment. It really is another penny pinching skimping trick by the joker currently at the top to extort more and more and more money and offer less and less and less product airside and in the air.
    If it wasn’t for the crew I would have deserted them long ago and as for the avios upgrade WT+ to Club fiasco for North America and Middle East……..well that’s another story!! It is now not VFM and once a loyalty programme becomes unattractive, loyalty simply goes. So watch out BA…

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I just wish I could charge my clients a service fee for paying me what they owe!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=775033]Maybe the extra revenue from long haul flights can go towards decent pay for the mixed fleet.

I find the changes to fees reasonable but

reports that MF are being paid less than they were lead to believe they would get is appalling

I’m more than happy to pay extra £15 on long haul if crew are treated better.

[/quote]

The rates include a substantial element of performance related and are not guaranteed.

I’m hardly a BA supporter, but no one forced the crew to take these jobs and BA (IMO) were not deceptive in the description of the package.

If you are so appalled by this matter, may I suggest that you stop flying with BA and let them know why? If enough people do that, they will change their policy.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=775066]
    Of course most airline tickets are paid for by credit card. Its convenient. The BA business model is built on this expectation of payment. It really is another penny pinching skimping trick by the joker currently at the top to extort more and more and more money and offer less and less and less product airside and in the air.

[/quote]

If it encourages people to pay by debit card, this eliminates the risk of Section 75 claims and chargebacks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘New credit card charge fees at British Airways’ is closed to new replies.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls