New British Airways Club World service and White Company bedding

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 102 total)

• FrequentTraveller
    Participant

I understand the new meal service is taking time to rollout to all long haul routes because crew training is required.

But I don’t understand why it takes so long to roll out to all routes just putting a different blanket and pillow on a seat. After the initial trail and test on the JFK route completed, why can’t it be rolled out to all other routes with a few days? It may take a week or so longer for the return to base flights to use up the old supplies held down route. As new blankets are cleaned for their return journey.

K1ngston
    Participant

No Martyn thats the copious amounts of BA’s finest champagne that does that for you 🙂

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“BA’s finest champagne” – that’s a contradiction in terms….

Trust you will meet me in BKK first half of May… that wonderful sushi behind the Westin is waiting….

Anyone else wants to join us… ?

K1ngston
    Participant

Try and keep me away Martyn, the Sushi place is definitely calling!

See you in May……

Nogbad01
    Participant

Hi Martyn. V impressive price. I guess the AMS start explains some of it, but would love to know how you got the whole trip for that. I would certainly put up with club for that!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Nogbad01 – happy for you to email me

mart yn sinc lair @ hot mail . com (obviously no spaces)…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Experienced the Club World enhancements yesterday to HKG. As I saw them, there are 2 areas where there is improvement, F & B and bedding.

F & B

Very pleasantly surprised being served a drink in a crystal glass and not having to mess about with miniature bottles. Not too keen on the new nuts being served both in Club World and Europe, can only assume they are a cheaper version/product. The food presentation was also enhanced and yes, it did look good on the new plates, especially the breakfast fruit. Did it taste any better? That’s all down to personal choice :).

Bedding

This was strange. On the club seat is a canvass covering, containing the bedding. As I was upstairs by the window it was stuffed into one of the side storage pods until needed. Not sure where it would be kept if you don’t have additional storage. When it was needed, I asked the cabin crew whether they gave assistance or made up the bed. Answer, (and I have to say the crew on this sector were excellent, apart from this answer), “thankfully no, its down to you”.

I couldn’t work out what to put what where. It just seemed a bit too much of a jigsaw puzzle after a long day travelling and time in the lounge. Ending up just putting a cover over me. If there was an instruction leaflet, I missed it – but was surprised a little at the disinterest of the crew in assisting.

The new pillow though is a big improvement on the previous offering. Interesting though, I didn’t sleep as well as I used to…

Overall though, I think these improvements provide a fresh appearance to cover some of the cracks in what is overwise a very poor offering as a business class product, but where value for money is concerned, for me, excellent value…

openfly
    Participant

Hi Martin, I agree with most of your points. I have had the new bedding 4 times and the major point is that the new pillow is just too big! Seated, its difficult to position comfortably and when used for sleeping it shortens the bed considerably. As a 6 footer in a scant 6 ft bed it shortens the bed so much that your feet hang uncomfortably over the end! It’s just too large….

rferguson
    Participant

FrequentTraveller to be honest I’m not really sure why.

BA says that it’s down to having to negotiate individual contacts with launderers at each outstation but even so I don’t see why it should have to take so long.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Actually, I rather rated the new White Company en route to/from JFK back in March18. The pillow and seat cover were a distinct improvement.

Incidentally, outbound, we took the LCY/SNN/JFK BA001 using an 2-4-1 and were astounded at the quality of the onboard service; it was almost like how things were back in the old days of Imperial Airways etc. For a 36-seat plane, it was barely half full and both the cabin and flight deck crews kept asking us to “talk up the service….” to anyone we knew.

BrotherJim
    Participant

Is the new bedding on Sydney yet?

And a bit odd the crew don’t set it up for you.

rferguson
    Participant

BrotherJim – no. It should launch on SIN/SYD in September.

In regards to the crew setting it up for you – TBH there isn’t really anything to set up. It’s a small mattress protector underneath and a duvet. Most other airlines that offer a similar product do not have crew set it up for the passenger either, unless the design of the seat needs crew assistance (ie some herringbone designs that ‘flip’ over). Airlines like Qantas, Qatar etc that offer mattress pads it’s a DIY service for the passenger. I guess this is down to two main factors – to differentiate between F and J (the crew will offer a turndown service in F). And also just down to crew:passenger ratios in Club/Business.

stevescoots
    Participant

[quote quote=866319]BrotherJim – no. It should launch on SIN/SYD in September.

In regards to the crew setting it up for you – TBH there isn’t really anything to set up. It’s a small mattress protector underneath and a duvet. Most other airlines that offer a similar product do not have crew set it up for the passenger either, unless the design of the seat needs crew assistance (ie some herringbone designs that ‘flip’ over). Airlines like Qantas, Qatar etc that offer mattress pads it’s a DIY service for the passenger. I guess this is down to two main factors – to differentiate between F and J (the crew will offer a turndown service in F). And also just down to crew:passenger ratios in Club/Business.[/quote]

I have found EK always offer to make the bed, odd thing is I always say “its ok, I can do myself” not sure why i do that. Same with service, i often take my used glasses etc back to the galley rather than push the button.

capetonianm
    Participant

Isn’t BA’s tinkering with details rather similar to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic?

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=866459]Isn’t BA’s tinkering with details rather similar to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic?[/quote]

To a degree, yes. But to be honest Capetonian although opinions vary on the new CW catering and bedding for once it IS a genuine enhancement. Money has been spent and the food, equipment and bedding is far better than previous. Many carriers still offer far better again, no denying that. But what BA has rolled out is far better than the almost embarrassing catering before it.

Of course what people are more interested in is a new seat.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 102 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls