New Club Europe Seating Help

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• Anonymous

dutchyankee
    Participant

Do any of the posters here on this forum know how I can tell if my upcoming flights with BA will have the new CE seating? Is there an indication when you do the on-line check-in or any other way? I have currently blocked the two seats in the front row on both my future flights, but generally I prefer at least one row in front of me, but from the reviews, not sure I will be comfortable with the new seating, hence taking the two in the first row. Any advice is appreciated.

peter19
    Participant

dutchyankee,

I also was looking for that info but could not find it anywhere or have a response in another thread. I’m not sure there is such a resource.

Maybe if you detail the route might have a chance of finding out…
    Anybody know if its on Malta out of LGW?

dutchyankee
    Participant

Hi peter19, thanks for your reply. For me it is LED to LHR this Friday, returning on the week following Sunday. It is scheduled as an A321 for Friday, so not sure if the A321 has the new cabin yet, and is an A320 on the Sunday. Shame there is no way to check.

To Malta from LGW is it a 737 which would have the old convertible seats or is it an A320 family aircraft?

peter19
    Participant

Hopefully somebody can advise.

I flew LHR-PRG a few weeks ago on A320 and it had been upgraded to the new cabin with 8 rows set as Club.

Malta – I thought it was A320 and 737 back but looking at it again now it’s a 737 both ways so i suspect this may have the old?
    I’m flying up to GLA from LGW on a 737 after after arriving so i presume its the same aircraft on a domestic route.

lesmclaren
    Participant

Only bit of good news I can impart from the new BA seating is that [at least on 319 / 320] the overhead bins are now deeper and will actually take a wheeled bag lengthways. They already did on every other airline I have flown with but BA now seem to have caught up on this one! Apart from that [even in the front row] yuk!! narrow, hard, straight backs and uncomfortable and we wont talk about the leg room!! [rather the lack of it]. Plus now you are sure to be hit on the shoulder several times by the many inconsiderate people who insist on having bags on their shoulders and / or backpacks if you are sitting in the front [especially the front row] because the aisle is so narrow. Plus in c and d in the first row watch your feet and knees while people try and get too wide for the aisle bags towed behind them!
    Like everyone else has mentioned, does not seem to be any way of finding out if it is “new” or “old” configuration.

Travelcruiser
    Participant

The new seating is fine Dutchyankee. In fact I was pleasantly surprised to find it actually quite comfortable and you don’t notice the lack of legroom. I think this is because the seats are thinner.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Thanks Travelcruiser, would you say to keep the front row, or take another row? Thanks again. I fly in 18 hours.

Tim2soza
    Participant

I have just flown from Barcelona to Heathrow in the new Club Europe seating. It is a disaster. I am 5 foot 8 inches tall and my knees were almost touching the seat in front. 6 footers will be wedged in. Using a laptop was difficult when the seat in front was not reclined, and impossible when it was. I sat in the seat for nearly 4 hours including 75 mins on the ground. The seats are hard on the back and I still have back ache 4 hours after the flight. I’m afraid it will be Easyjet Row 1 or emergency rows instead of BA for short haul from now on. The value proposition has, in my view, vanished despite the food and service being good.

If you have BAEC status, then either grab Row 1 or go Economy and grab the emergency exit seats is my recommendation. The price premium for Club is simply not there if you have Silver or Gold.

The interior did look very smart, but its all about legroom in my view.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Thanks Tim2sms, you have made my decision for me, I will stick with row 1! Many thanks.

Travellator
    Participant

Dutch

Best fly EZY from now – CE has virtually no value for money now on !

peter19
    Participant

Its easy to sit and criticise the new product which I have seen fair points noted on previous threads but equally it’s not all bad. For those who are not a BA silver or Gold member finding a good deal CE price would be worth the upgrade, lounge access some nicer food and a bit nicer experience.

I found the seats to be comfy and although i do agree that leg room is a concern, if you don’t get reclined on its not that bad and I’m 5′ 10. I also like the design of the slot to hang your tech on. Much better for watching videos than leaning with your neck down for the flight.

Anyway, dutchyankee hope you have a good flight!

SimonS1
    Participant

Not really convinced Peter.

I know it gets you lounge access, but for the price of the upgrade you could have a decent meal in any of the outlets at T5 before you travel and cash to spare. The better food on board is worth a fiver at most and the empty seat next to you is next to useless if you are trying to use a laptop and work.

andystock
    Participant

1A or 1C are the best seats

Tim2soza
    Participant

SimonS1 – +1

I’m afraid I won’t now book BA for short haul. Long haul Club World still great.

BA have obviously calculated that 6 economy seats generate more revenue than the row lost to yield 7 rows of CE. (4 inches each x 7 = 28 inches of pitch.) – Given that a plane is almost never 100% full, I can’t see how the yield management provides a benefit, especially if CE sales are lost by unhappy customers. Still, they will have complex systems that beat my simplistic calculation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls