New Cathay lounges planned for the expanded Hong Kong concourses.

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

When the airport expansion is finished in 2025 there will be two distinct terminals and some 40 new gates located adjacent to the new third runway.
    This new gate concourse will be connected to terminal ‘2’ by an extension of the current train and moving conveyer systems that have been a feature for some years.

This expansion will finally allow Cathay room to expand its lounge offerings and two new flagship lounges are in the design stages and a new arrivals lounge is also likely.

Both Hong Kong and the airport traffic are recovering fast with at least seven new airlines using the airport with now almost all of the pre Covid airlines back also.

Good to see KLM back next month and also American joining United daily to HK with Qantas now flying its A380 and most of the European airlines again using their larger aircraft.

After those three tough years it is good to see Hong Kong moving forward at a pace.

6 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

This was news to the managers I spoke to in the Wing the other day – but I also read the same or similar article. CX lounges remain at a very high high standard & the new lounges should be excellent.

Had one of those stupid moments on Thursday night before flying HKG – HEL. Went for a shower in the Wing and very skilfully and stupidly, managed to soak all my clothes when I turned the shower on. After shower, changed into a set of fresh clothes and asked the staff whether they could provide a plastic bag so I could at least keep my other items in my carry on dry.

When I told the manager I had 3 hours until flight – he simply said leave it with me. Within an hour, my shirt and trousers came back not only dry, but nicely pressed and folded for my carry on. Absolutely refused to allow me to tip the staff member involved, so I went to buy some confectionary and left it for the team who run the showers.

As with the outbound – I really enjoy time I spent in the Wing. Excellent lounge, thank you CX.

8 users thanked author for this post.

Woodpecker
    Participant

Hi Cwoodward,

Just wondering if you had any update on when & where the CX Arrivals Lounge would reopen? Or would we need to wait for the HKIA T2 to open first?

Thanks in advance.

cwoodward
    Participant

Hi Woodpecker
    I do not have any specific update other than an arrivals lounge is now believed to be ‘likely’.
    This is from people at Cathay but only ‘opinions’ not fact.
    I am asking and will post if/when I know.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

I wish they would bring back The Bridge, location wise it was always the most convenient, I am surprised it is still vacant, as its a great space.

cwoodward
    Participant

Andrew, I believe ‘the bridge’ is a casualty of the bigger picture and a new Cathay ‘flagship’ lounge in the offing.

As I was told it was the Airport Authority who would not renew Cathay’s lease on the space – again due to bigger plans and a redesign of the area. This has a ring of truth and my info was from a reliable source however I can find after a brief look no media reports or anything in writing re this.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls