New Avios pricing ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Did I miss an announcement or something? Avios pricing has changed or there appears more flexibility in choosing the balance between avios needed per sector and money paid.

Seems BAEC have more flexibility in choosing reward flights…. or like the announcement I must have missed am I missing something else. Admittedly, only looked on European redemption.

christ
    Participant

There is lots on this on head for points and re GBP 1 options and apparently limiting cancellation fee to GBP 1. However, I think they concluded that GBP1 was not the best value for money.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Montysaurus
    Participant

Avios prices seem to have gone up. A domestic/Area 1 one way Club Europe flight used to be 9000, now it is 12000+.

mkcol74
    Participant

[postquote quote=966056][/postquote]

Spot on – not best value, unless perhaps you’re an Avios millionaire or earn them through work travel.

I don’t recall an official BA announcement.

@Montysaurus
    There’s been no change in number of Avios required, just the flexibility to use more & pay less cash.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The way I read i,is the number of avios only increases if you want to pay less.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

MartynS is correct…. if you are booking (my recent return from Moscow) you are offered several pay options : e.g. in economy the return for 25500 Avios and £ 1, 18500 avios plus £ 35 (the old rate for my timings) and several others – it seems to me to be all good, i.e. more flexibility….no grumbles from me

Raffles99
    Participant

Can’t argue that more flexibility is beneficial.

Note 1: if you make a booking under this new system – using ANY combo of cash and money – your cancellation fee is just 50p one-way or £1 return, NOT £35. See https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/09/06/what-are-the-cancellation-fees-on-an-avios-booking/

Note 2: if you try to us a BA Amex 241 voucher, it defaults back to the old pricing of £17.50 one-way economy / £25 Club Europe taxes

As mentioned above, the new options are not necessarily the best value. You need to do the maths on the marginal cash and Avios required between each pricing level.

No changes to long haul, and indeed this is only a trial on short haul.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Mikeact
    Participant

Old news.

Mikeact
    Participant

The 1p option can be excellent value, if, you have tons of Avios. I’ve booked 5 seperate days to get back home from a popular destination next year. A no brainer to cancel out the eventual days I don’t need.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Mikeact I think you may have found a way to prompt BA to modify their improved system so that it is not so easily gamed

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls