New Airport Contract signed-29 Billion

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

It’s very important to ensure UK companies and residents get the contracts and work. Is such provision prohibited under EU law?

HarryMonk
    Participant

VK, I think it possibly is, but I also think there is probably only one EU nation that follows such a law, much to their own detriment. Any guesses who that maybe?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Good point Harry, but if the workers are employed in the UK, even if they work for a foreign company, will have PAYE and NI deducted. They will still spend a good amount on rent, food and entertainment so UK plc still benefits.

While it’s also true that all public tenders have to be advertised throughout the EU, I believe the awarding contractor can insist on certain sub-contracts being awarded to companies or suppliers of their choice. I think this is how France, Italy and Germany get round the rules. The Uk seems not to read the rule book!

stevemac
    Participant

I agree with VK that we should look at the new infrastructure projects delivered in the UK in a positive light. Berlin airport anyone?

O.C.D.P
    Participant

Is there an official editorial line on this? Such a project would provide a huge economic stimulus in the short/medium term as well as provide worldclass infastructure in the long run.
    http://www.thameshub.com

VintageKrug
    Participant

You need to leave a line between links or they don’t go “live” on this forum.

http://www.thameshub.com is probably worthy of a new thread, rather than being tacked onto discussion about a possible Turkish airport (which itself may well soon be in doubt, given recent events…)

O.C.D.P
    Participant

Thanks VK will update it onto a new thread

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls