Need clarification on BA tier points

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

Fjaggrey
    Participant

I am currently a Bronze member of BAEC and have 580 tier points.

I need additional 20 points to get to silver, which I plan to achieve by going on a trip to Amsterdam or Madrid before my membership year ends on 8th April.

I need confirmation on whether I still need more tier points to retain the silver membership before 8 April, or I will just have to keep on flying after 8 April to retain the silver membership.

KidsterUK
    Participant

Hi, I had the same wonder over a year ago.
    When you get to a new level as the Silver membership you will keep this level until next year when it runs out in Marsh/April. Your tier points resets every year. IF you from April 2013 to 2014 have manage to get another 600 tier points you will remain within Silver, if not you will be back in Bronze.

Fjaggrey
    Participant

Oh right! Got it now. Many thanks for the insight. Whew!

jayjay007
    Participant

remember NOT to accumulate more than the exact points needed for renewal,as they will ALL be taken away when a new level is acquired:
    say that u have now 700 and silver requires only 600 -your balance points turn to ZERO as soon as you reach the new level

Foreignescape
    Participant

I am bracing myself for being shot down….but does anyone have a chart of the BA tier points?

I flew from Melbourne to Perth last week in Business on QANTAS and received 40 tier points. Then from Perth to Sydney on the same terms 140 tier points.

Today flying LHR to Helsinki in business on Finnair its showing as 80 tier points each way.

Melbourne to Perth being a longer flight than LHR to Helsinki but shorter than Perth to Sydney.

Where are the cut offs?

JordanD
    Participant

jayjay007 – things have changed slightly: BA now don’t “reset” your tier points when you hit a new status level. Instead they allow you to continue to accumulate points until the end of your membership year (so in the OP’s case, 8th April, same as mine).

As such if – like me – you make Bronze (300 TPs), you can continue accumulating points to make silver (a further 300 TPs, a total of 600 TPs within that membership year). In my case, my work/clients plans changed after making Bronze, so I’m ‘stranded’ between Bronze and Silver.

Foreignescape – There is an online calculator from within your BA Executive Club account where you can calculate the Tier Poitns available on relevant Oneworld Airlines. Each airline has a different way of working out the TPs available (many on a distance basis: MEL-PER is about 1690 and SYD-PER is 2051, and on some carriers above 2000 mile journey attract higher TPs). Click on the below for more info:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/flight-calculator/public/en_gb

first_class_please
    Participant

From the BA website:-

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/flight-calculator/public/en_gb

Tier points are based on the length of flight so Melbourne to Perth is same as Melbourne to Sydney, but Sydney to Perth goes over that threshold and then becomes “longhaul” points.

I know with American Airlines its based on flights under / over 2,000 miles on domestic flights.

Foreignescape
    Participant

Thanks, I did use the calculator.

So the Finnish flight which is shorter, but has more tier points, is I guess on the basis of international v domestic as you suggest with AA.

JordanD
    Participant

Foreignescape – the LHR-HEL flight is (if I read correctly) with Finnair. Finnair don’t use the strict mileage (+/-2000 miles) to govern their tier points, not least that operating with Europe is slightly different to Australia (bigger than Europe) or the US.

BA have a higher TP value for their “long” European flights (HEL, IST, ATH being some) – and as BA codeshare with AY on this route, that is probably why it is an 80 TP route in business.

Cloud-9
    Participant

Maybe BA need to look at allowing BAEC members to rollover their ‘left over’ TPs from one year to the next.
    I am sure it would be met with general applause

Cloud-9
    Participant

Maybe BA need to look at allowing BAEC members to rollover their ‘left over’ TPs from one year to the next.
    I am sure it would be met with general applause

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls