Naming and shaming staff

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• rferguson
    Participant

I read an article on a well known travel blog site about the authors displeasure at the customer service he received from a member of staff at a Lufthansa lounge.

The blogger goes on to set the scene (regarding interlining baggage), this was said, that was said, the agent did this and didn’t do that and was unhappy. On the surface of it, the service he did receive from the lounge agent was pretty poor and pretty rude.

However, he then goes on to name this employee in the article. First name only, but certainly not a common one and I am certain she will be instantly identifiable by other travellers and her colleagues.

I read through the comments and there were typically two extremes:
    1) ‘She should be fired and we should all be naming and shaming online’
    2) ‘It’s wrong to name this woman when she is not able to give her side of the story’.

Personally, I sit more with number 2. I am all for complaining when something goes wrong or I am treated rudely. I can even understand these bloggers recounting their negative experiences online – leaving out the naming and shaming aspect.

I can understand that in a position of power (as those with a large online readership are) it could be tempting to ‘have the final word’ on the matter. On the other hand I feel it unfair and on the verge of bullying.

What do others think?

esselle
    Participant

Totally wrong to name the individual concerned on a public forum.

Write privately to their employer if you must, because at least they will then, if it proves necessary, be able to defend themselves.

But naming them on a public forum says more, in my view about the author, than it could ever say about the employee.

13 users thanked author for this post.

MS
    Participant

What’s the link? I wanna read it.

rferguson
    Participant

The Awful, Vindictive Lufthansa Lounge Milan Agent

This is the post.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    MS

MS
    Participant

Thanks for the link, I read it.

This feels like the typical self-entitled/stuck up guy complaining, whom is really the one who is vindictive.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Looking at the extremely comprehensive and detailed OMAAT website it has look, feel and corporate structure of an online travel magazine with a large circulation. In the ethics page Ben Schlappig makes a statement…

“I do everything in my power to maintain editorial independence”

One Mile at a Time Ethics Policy

The issue I have with the article is the story does not have “editorial independence” as it was written with only the author’s side. Anyone writing articles which includes this sort of content, should get both sides of the story, providing an independent and balanced article.

Yes I would consider this a a form of bullying and I hope the lady in question makes a deal out this….

5 users thanked author for this post.

FrDougal
    Participant

I have given up on those travel bloggers. They are all in it for their own gain and the reports rarely reflect reality.

rferguson
    Participant

It seems said blogger has reflected on naming the staff member and has now deleted it from the post.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Mark
    Participant

I cant unsee the name now though!

DannyBoy
    Participant

This is interesting as it goes back to the recent Tripadvisor thread where reviewers also use this same approach on good and bad experiences with staff.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Praising in public is fine with me. I occasionally do it on TripAdvisor. But shamming a particular person is unacceptable.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Mark
    Participant

Ok ladies…… time to move on.

PointyMark
    Participant

As a disabled man I have been abused by airport (not airline) staff so many times that I fully support the idea of naming and shaming. But I haven’t done so myself because I generally don’t get the name of my abusers. In so many aspects of our life today people and organisations do not take responsibility for their actions (ref Boris J as an example! Oops, was that ‘naming and shaming’?!)). On the occasions I have complained to airlines I have got nowhere (still waiting for any response from BA to a complaint I made 4 months ago), so it seems justifiable to revert to social media, if it’s the only forum airlines seem to care about. Except ITA, who contacted me within 24 hours, following abusive wheelchair ‘assistants’ in Catania and Rome, and proactively gave me compensation. Singapore Airlines, on the other hand, blamed me last year for embarrassing a Changi person who abused me, but then Singapore has absolutely no legislation to protect or even recognise the rights of the disabled.
    IMHO anyone who abuses anyone should be held accountable.

4 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Hi Mark
    I recognise how frustrating this must be, sympathise and agree that it should not happen – however it always will to some degree or other given the education level poor training and pay of most of the staff involved.
    The snide political remarks are perhaps unnecessary and achieve nothing, nor will public naming and shaming. This approach will only serve to weaken your valid position in my view and an assertive factual approach that perhaps offers solutions will perhaps achieve more.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls