British Airways – Naming an aircraft for the Olympic Games

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=719101]Bravo Alpha Tanga?

Seriously though, I think all passenger aircraft should have a name. After all, they work their little backsides off 365 days a year. The only airlines I can think of that do so are Iberia and Aer Lingus. Much more personal than a boring registration number.

[/quote]

Swiss and KLM also name their aircraft Icenspice. After various towns I think?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Back on thread, how about “Victory” or or even “Victoria”? Good British names evoking a spirit of the past!

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

[quote quote=719572]

Bravo Alpha Tanga?

The only airlines I can think of that do so are Iberia and Aer Lingus. Much more personal than a boring registration number.

Swiss and KLM also name their aircraft Icenspice. After various towns I think?

[/quote]

SAS name their aircraft after Vikings (I think), for example, Ingeborg Eriksdatter.

Poshgirl58
    Participant

I like Spirit of Team GB too.

Lots of airlines still name their aircraft. VS fleet are females – Madmoiselle Rouge, Lady in Red, Miss Kitty (A340 now retired) to name a few. Thomson Airways also ran a competition to name their Dreamliners; as Britannia Airways they always named their fleet. I can remember flying on Jean Batten (737) and Brian Johnston (757). PanAm had a variety of Clippers. I can remember a line of BA 1-11s lined up at BHX all named after counties.

A lot of European airlines still do it as do Qantas, Singapore, Thai and Air India. The practice may have come from the flying boat days and the naval tradition of naming ships, but can’t find any firm evidence to back up that theory.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

My aeroplane used to be called ‘Moneypit’

But if we must name a BA aircraft, I suggest Barbara Jane Harrison, a name that means the finest tradition of heroism and care for fellow people.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MrMichael
    Participant

Nice one FDOS, I think some UK train operating company’s name their trains after those that died in the service of the company. A nice tradition I think, and a nice way to recognise the sacrifice people make.

Poshgirl, I think your dead right on the tradition on aircraft naming coming from shipping.

A couple of other naming conventions, busses in Southampton were named after the great liners, Normandy, SS United States, Mauritania to name a few.

The U.K. Trucking company Stobart name all their trucks, hundreds if not thousands of them, all girls names. Not sure if it extends to Stobart Air, anyone know?

canucklad
    Participant

Morning Posh Girl
    Evidential evidence is compelling to your theory. Sadly from airlines that are no longer with us.

As mentioned, Pan Am continued with the Clipper tradition following the legacy of their flying boat heritage. To make your theory even more robust , CP Air’s call sign was Empress, and they named their aircraft “Empress of ….” . A tradition that goes back centuries to CP’s shipping days.

And actually icenspice, it’s probably harder to find an airline that doesn’t name its aircraft. Although probably not all that hard : )

Oh , and back on topic…..I agree with some of you. The BA names nominated for the competition are pretty B-l A-nd
    My suggestion ………”Chariot”

Poshgirl58
    Participant

FDOS_UK, nice suggestion and a long-overdue tribute to a true heroine.

JohnHarper
    Participant

LH, TK and TG also name their aircraft.

Ktfarah
    Participant

enaBAling

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Still “running” after a couple of days – in the Times today…

Runners’ kit is lost on the flight to Brazil

Not sure there was much in this one – “slumming in economy”

PLANE DAFT Olympics 2016: Team GB fly economy with British Airways to Rio despite airline sponsoring the squad

canucklad
    Participant

I know it’s the Sun, but this is quite telling.

“A BOA spokesman said British Airways were suppliers rather than sponsors, therefore it was up to the federation booking the flights if they wanted to pay for business class tickets.”

And if their not sponsors why are they, benefitting from jumping on the Team GB bandwagon. And more likely at a finance directors glee ! Poor show BA !

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Unfortunately, I was just drinking coffee at the time I read this, and with involuntarily laughing, I managed to shoot coffee out through my nose (!) so I’ve now got to wipe down the iMac.

Very droll.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=721093]Unfortunately, I was just drinking coffee at the time I read this, and with involuntarily laughing, I managed to shoot coffee out through my nose (!) so I’ve now got to wipe down the iMac.

Very droll.

[/quote]

I was drinking tea when I read your post Anthony, I bust out laughing imagining the scene. Luckily I was between sips!

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Carajillo2Sugar 1st August 2016 at 14:41

Have you never followed England’s competition footballing forays by Private Eye front cover? The one I enjoyed the most was at the time of the last World Cup (thankfully I was in central Asia and spared the ignominy). It had a plane at its stand, the front steps were in place and the pilot was leaning out of the cockpit window. There was a speech bubble enquiring “Should I leave the engines running…?”

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls