British Airways – Naming an aircraft for the Olympic Games

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

• icenspice
    Participant

British Airways competition for naming Rio Olympic Games aircraft

I don’t know which, if any, I like. What about SamBA or CopacaBAna? Or is that placing too much emphasis on the airline? ?

MickBettesworth
    Participant

After the expedition ship fiasco – what about PlaneyMacplane face?

BugAdvisor
    Participant

You can only choose from one of these names:
    Gold Force One
    Golden Hauls
    VictoRIOus
    Mission Accomplished

So a pretty boring competition really – they would have gained more publicity if they’d allowed Planey MacPlane Face.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

How about a nice, elegant, Latin name?

Ipsum Veteris

1 user thanked author for this post.

JohnHarper
    Participant

What they don’t seem to have mentioned is that if you choose the winning name you will receive an invoice for your share of applying it to the aircraft and removing it after a suitable period of time. If you choose to pay by credit card or paypal a £5 surcharge will apply.

ABBA.

conshaldow
    Participant

I like this idea but as BugAdvisor mentioned it would have been better if the general public got to vote on the name, but very likely Planey MacPlane Face would top it.

Going down a similar train of thought to FDOS, I thought about using another latin word which is also very apt, and would have voted to call it “The Aurum”.

MrMichael
    Participant

BA bashers couldn’t resist a couple of barbs then!

I rather like Spirit of Team GB.

GivingupBA
    Participant

I wanted to suggest “Flying Sardine Can” but I am not that mean.

I have more than a soft spot for BA and like them (despite my user name!), and sometimes still fly on them.

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

Looking ahead to the next football World Cup, if BA are going to be transporting the England team they could do worse than naming the official plane ‘Mimicus’

Mimicus is the Latin for ‘farcical’ and farcical comes from the Latin farcire, meaning “to stuff”.

By doing this, the players will know what to expect when they’re crammed into their Veuling-operated flights to and around the Russian Federation and the fans will be primed for the predicable results, especially when we come up against the mighty Iceland at a crucial stage of the compettiton.

#AllardyceMcArseFace

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=718880]BA bashers couldn’t resist a couple of barbs then!

[/quote]

In hoc veritas non bashing (The truth is not bashing)

The bloody thing is geriatric (more Latin) and they’ll be lucky if it doesn’t breakdown and delay them for hours 🙂

I rather like Spirit of Team GB

Vodka (they can wash their seat areas with it, kills 99% of all known germs)

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=718914]Looking ahead to the next football World Cup, if BA are going to be transporting the England team they could do worse than naming the official plane ‘Mimicus’

Mimicus is the Latin for ‘farcical’ and farcical comes from the Latin farcire, meaning “to stuff”.

By doing this, the players will know what to expect when they’re crammed into their Veuling-operated flights to and around the Russian Federation and the fans will be primed for the predicable results, especially when we come up against the mighty Iceland at a crucial stage of the compettiton.

#AllardyceMcArseFace

[/quote]

Too bloody true – I stayed up very late to watch Eng v Iceland and ended up shouting for Iceland, ‘cos I was so mad the England team.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I’ve got a good idea – how about naming all the 747 fleet with a theme, like they used to do ‘River XXXX’, ‘XXX Castle’.

Here’s a starter of ten, any more ideas?

Junk Food
    Junk Mail
    Junk Boat
    Junk Machine
    Junk Whale
    Junk Nimia (Latin for junk)
    Junk Punk
    Junk Metal
    Junk Pitch (Baseball slang)
    Junk Funk

MrMichael
    Participant

Junk FDOS

😉

2 users thanked author for this post.

JohnHarper
    Participant

One morning a couple of weeks ago I had an early departure from LHR – 06:45, it was a nice clear morning. I was sitting in the LH lounge in T2 with an excellent Do&Co bacon toastie watching the landing aircraft.

I for many years thought the 747 was a sight to behold and a total marvel of engineering. That morning maybe because of the poor paint jobs and the tired look of the ones that landed – all from the home team I thought the graceful lady was well past her retirement age and looked very tired and worn in comparison to the assortment of other types – from many carriers that landed while I was waiting.

The only other 747s I see regularly are those of LH (not sure anyone else is flying them in any number any more) and by comparison they are so smart. When I got down to the gate my three month old TK A321 was parked between two LH A320s, one a NEO and the other on looking it up was fifteen years old, from the outside they were both pristine as was my TK A321.

Let’s hope the one going to Rio has had a clean and that the outside doesn’t look like a patchwork quilt of touched up paint. I won’t however hold out too much hope.

ABBA.

icenspice
    Participant

Bravo Alpha Tanga?

Seriously though, I think all passenger aircraft should have a name. After all, they work their little backsides off 365 days a year. The only airlines I can think of that do so are Iberia and Aer Lingus. Much more personal than a boring registration number.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls