My first long haul flight in 7 months and arrival in the Nam

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• PhilipHart
    Participant

cwoodward
    Participant

The fellow is clearly delusional.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@PhilipHart – para 4 – “the staff were much more Nazi-ish” – goodness gracious, were the cabin crew shooting passengers and moving passengers into ‘secure’ areas….after racially profiling??

Stevescoots
    Participant

Well its all over! Would I do again….maybe depending where!

Released Saturday evening with a smile, an elbow bump and congratulations, I now have a certificate to display on the wall next to my 50 m swimming one from 1978. Drop my bags at my apartment which was only 5 mins away from the quarantine hotel and an hour later was in Malt South , my local pub meeting with friends. All in all, it was not too bad to do.

The last day was the worst as I had no idea what time for release, so it ended up as 9 hours sat on the bed all packed up waiting for the call. Weekends were the worst with a lot of binge-watching Netflix/Amazon etc. During the week was fine because after 7 months working from home, I was used to time being taken up with work and evenings TV or reading. I also set a strict regime of wake-up time, doing exercise. Getting out of my seat etc. Food was ok, I would say airline economy level, but I could order things in from local places (my local let me run a tab) or my staff drop things off for me.

They have just changed the rules here that if you qualify as an expert (company must do the sponsor and application) and are not staying over 14 nights then you can skip quarantine after a test and result on arrival provided you stick strictly to an itinerary and install a tracking app however I have heard that it only works on android phones bought in VN. Once I get all the official process that may make me change my plans to stay here until Xmas

While all this was going on I finally got my approval to apply for a new China resident visa but that means that means having to fly back to UK, 2 weeks to process and then another 2 weeks quarantine in China and on top of that another 2 weeks restricted to my china apartment after quarantine! After the 2 weeks I have had here in Vn there is no way I am going to do the China one unless there is an absolute crisis. Some friends went back in and where my company is the quarantine hotels are pretty rough. Obviously, the huge internet restrictions or snail’s pace connection with VPN that means nothing to watch makes the job difficult. Food is 100% basic Chinese. White rice and noodles. No laundry service wash your own clothes in the sink and no deliveries. Cannot have anything sent in. pretty much sounds like prison with a carpet and big bed. Think I will give that a miss!

1st day back!

4 users thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=1011623][/postquote]

Glad you are out Steve, as it stands I go into quarantine in Singapore on 15th November if things havent changed some interesting snippets I have taken from your adventure ….

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls