My first flight on BA on Club class! Need advice

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

• MarkivJ
    Participant

Hi folks, Flying from Seattle (700-300ER) to Tel Aviv (787) in Nov, my first time on BA Club! I’ve read enough reviews about BA’s Club but having not flown Biz class ever (well, other than once on Lufthansa in 2006!!), I’m quite excited! (I’m not expecting the moon though).

I wanted advice on 3 things:
    1) what seats in these configs? Window or aisle, and any rows to avoid or select? I normally pick window seats on Economy just so I can scooch myself up to the window (not hard given the limited seat space!) and look out during take-off and landing, but will it be the same in Biz class or will the window be a mile away from my seat?
    2) There are 2 biz lounges in T5 (Galleries and Terraces) – which one’s better? Can I shower in either?
    3) I’m breaking my journey in London so looking forward to using the Arrivals Lounge. I once got bumped on AA Biz class so used the T3 arrivals lounge (prior to its refurb) and I quite liked it (again, my first time visiting one). Can I use it or is it only for BA T3 arrivals? How is the BA arrivals lounge?

thanks! 🙂

MarkivJ
    Participant

My 1st question should read “1) what seats to choose in both 777-300ER and 787?”

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Hi MarkivJ

1) I’d go for a window seat, generally more ‘private’ than the aisle seats. Try to avoid the middle pair if travelling on your own. Window seats are right next to the window, so you should have no issue looking out. The further forward the seat, the more likely you’ll see more out the window as the CW seats further back in the cabin are closer to the wing.
    2) There is a north, south and B terminal lounge you’ll be able to use at T5. The B terminal one is smaller and can be a little quieter.
    3) BA has a decent enough arrivals lounge in T5. Plenty of showers and buffet food. You may also be able to avail of a spa treatment, though like in the departure lounges, they often get booked quickly.

MarkivJ
    Participant

Thanks!

I managed window seats for all 4 sectors. One the TLV-LHR return sector, I chose a window seat with an icon of a baby bassinet in the neighbouring seat – what does this mean? That was the only window seat available.

Cloud-9
    Participant

You can only use the arrivals lounge if you get to LHR in the morning.

Bassinet icon means that in the unlikely event of a baby onboard, you will be moved.

Window seat every time.

They serve bubbly pre-takeoff ask for the rose:- very nice!

Enjoy!

NTarrant
    Participant

Agree on window seat as other have said, but try to avoid row 12 as it has one less window than other window seats.

It’s unlikely that your flight will go from a gate near the galleries north lounge. If your flight is from B gates head straight there it’s a nice quiet lounge.

Agree with other on arrivals lounge, not sure what time it closes but think it’s about 1300.

Enjoy your flights

ImissConcorde
    Participant

Do not go to B until the gate number is posted. In the unlikely event that you do leave from A you could miss your flight by the time you get back through the system.

Globe_trotter
    Participant

One clarification regarding ImissConcorde’s comment: to return to the main terminal (where the A gates are located) from the B lounge, you don’t need to “get back through the system” since there’s an underground pedestrian tunnel linking the two terminals which, speaking from experience, takes around 10-15 minutes’ walk at a brisk pace; unfortunately, the moving walkways only move in the reverse direction.

NTarrant
    Participant

I think Imissconcorde, is warning not to go to B until you know that the flight is departing from B, which is sensible. Usually the lounge dragons will have an idea where a flight is going to go from before it’s posted.

Flightlevel
    Participant

The problem with the walk back from B/C gates is you mix with arriving pax so you have to clear security again before going to your gate in A. ImC is correct, don’t go to another building until you are sure your flight leaves from there – sometimes the enquiry desks in A know the gate number before its posted.

Globe_trotter
    Participant

Flightlevel, sorry but that’s not true (based on my experience of doing it): the lifts at the end of the underground pedestrian tunnel coming from Terminal B bring you up inside Terminal A departures i.e. past security.

The first time I tried going to the B lounge with a (possible) A departure (I had a long transit time), the helpful lady on the reception desk told me not to catch the train back and to use the pedestrian tunnel precisely to avoid mixing with arriving passengers which would then force you to go through security again.

I would agree that it’s probably not worth doing unless the transit time is “long” which I would put at >3 hours.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Proof of the pudding is in the eating and trust you are correct. I’ll try that sometime!

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

I used to find ‘Seat Guru’ very useful for helping to choose your seat.

https://www.seatguru.com

Cloud-9
    Participant

Also Seat Expert in conjuction with the BA seating plan, to determine definitively which plane layout you will be getting

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Markiv J, an important point that I don’t think anyone has covered, apologises if I have missed it,is BA’s Club World is 8 across seating. The 2 window seats are facing back to travel as are the two middle seats. The window seat whilst having good storage requires stepping over an aisle seat passenger. Some people hate it others it make no difference. That said if the new bus calls is in situ then it is 1-2-1 I believe.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls