Mr Tappin’s departure from Heathrow

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 108 total)

• Bucksnet
    Participant

Internment in Northern Ireland, whilst I don’t agree with it, was against suspected terrorists by civilian authorities. The new US law allows the MILITARY to detain ANYONE.

Back on topic, I just heard on the news that the items alleged to be offered for sale were batteries. This is totally ridiculous.

spudseamus
    Participant

Bucksnet – 24/02/2012 22:09 GMT

Internment in Northern Ireland, whilst I don’t agree with it, was against suspected terrorists by civilian authorities.

old men were jailed just because they knew or were related to some one who may/may not have been involved in an illegal act ! but that is nothing new to British Imperialism the same thing was done to Ned Kelly’s neighbours !! yes way off topic !

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Rich. “. If Mr Tappin is innocent then he will be acquitted”.

Should he choose to fight, it will be at least 3 years before this comes to trial and he will most likely be denied bail. UK witnesses will have to attend in person and their entry to the US could easily be denied. If guilty the reality is at 65 he is looking at between 25-35 years in an American jail. If he’s “lucky” he’ll be released on parole after 15 years.

Or he can “confess” and be home in a year’s time! I hope it never happens to you Rich, but if it did I wonder what path you would choose?

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

This has nothing to do with business TRAVEL.

I like the BT forum because its free from political agenda’s (normally)

There are surely other forums on the internet where you can debate the validity of national judiciary systems and the (frequent) injustices that occur on almost a daily basis.

Swissdiver
    Participant

A quick note on this from a non British non US person: whether Mr. Tarpin is guilty or not is not up to us. Judges will do their job. And I trust a US judge can do it as well as an British or for that matter a Swiss judge. But what I find shocking in this case is the mere fact UK is extraditing a British citizen. I understand there is a treaty about it and it has to be applied. But then the treaty should be reviewed! It is abnormal for me to see a country extraditing one of its citizen.

Beyond this point, I second Loyal_BA view, right above.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

When I made this post Loyal_BA, there was NO political agenda. I highlighted Mr Tappin’s journey through Heathrow on the basis that very sadly, it is a business travel related issue that I pray does not happen to any one else.

I will accept Rich’s view, points have been made……..

This forum should certainly continue to highlight any business travel related issue, however tenuous.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

An update on the British business Christopher Tappin.

Just denied bail and remains incarcerated, locked in a cell for 23 hours a day.

This scares the living daylights out of me. His passport would have been taken away from him, he would have been tagged, he has limited funds and the bail amount under discussion was a mere $50,000, not exactly representing a crime of the century. Exactly what flight risk would he be there is no where for him to hide, when it is clear the most important part of his life is his wife and family.

It is SHOCKING treatment by a country where the other extreme sees prisoners suing the Government for millions of dollars when the system fails them……

I repeat that I am making no political statement here, just commenting on a fellow business traveler and a situation I would not wish on my worst enemy.

By all means lock the guy up and throw the key away, but at least find him guilty first.

RichHI1
    Participant

Just read AP feed.

Two points to make:
    1) he is being held in isolation at his own request according to his attorney “as he is in a new country”.

2) the refusal of bond was made due to inconsistencies in his financial affadavit, a copy of which he had not shared with his US attorneys.

I hope we shall get more details emerging in the appeal which has been filed already by his US attorneys.

It is unfortunate that none of the British media appear to find it an interesting enough case to have a reporter in the El Paso courtoom and are using a cut down of the AP wire service.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi Rich, I also read those pieces about his own request and the inconsistencies in the financial reporting.

He is still not guilty and has now here to run to.

RichHI1
    Participant

As I said Martyn, I hope we will get more details emerging in the appeal. I cannot believe in his situation Mr Tappin would enter false information on his financial affadavit. I am however concerned why this documnet was not shared with the US attorneys. Ceratinly his attorneys in the US do seem to be trying their best for him.

Let us see what comes out in the appeal. As you say under the principles of both the US and England someon is oresumed innocent until proven guilty. His denial of bond was due to being a flight risk not due to a presumption of guilt. The prosecution asserted he could flee to Mexico as the border is only a few miles away.

VintageKrug
    Participant

He should never have left the UK. Period.

RichHI1
    Participant

I disagree, respect for the rule of law is what separates civilized societies from the uncivilized.

In all this, whilst I support the rule of rule of law, judicial process and the US and English leagl systems, I think everyone will feel sympathy for Mrs Tappin who is accused of nothing and must be suffering a torment. Perhaps someone will start an appeal to enable her to visit her husband in the USA whilst he is in this predicament. The British press have been keen to exploit Mr Tappin as a story but they do not think ti worthwhile sendign a reporter to court or to support Mrs Tappin or the family.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

I’ve just read the story that Abu Hamza has been cleared for deportation to the US:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17657814

That Mr Tappin could be deported so easily and this charade has gone on for years and still may not be over says that our justice system needs an overhaul.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Hear hear!

I’m glad they are finally being deported, except for Babar Ahmad whose case is very thin; he should be freed.

RichHI1
    Participant

Avoiding the merits of individual cases, I think many judicial systems, the UK, the ECHR, the US and many many others do suffer from suboptimal delays. In an attempt to ensure the maximum fairness, delays of years creep in which add cost and add to the stress suffered by those involved whether or not they are at fault civilly or criminally. Trouble is, it seems beyind the wit of man to dream up a faster system (except perhaps Judge Dredd where justice was dispensed immediately but perhaps Justice there is the wrong word.) Where there is money and access to unlimited legal skills they will be employed to use all possibilities to get thigns to got heir way and that leads to all these delays if they do not actually affect the outcome. If these cases had been processed without the need for extradition then they would have been over years ago.

Another interesting twist is I see another youth who is wanted in connection with Internet offenses in the US has now claimed to have Asperger’s Syndrome. Side stepping the specifics of each case, I am inclined to wonder should laws be updated so that charges can be laid in multiple jurisdictions and not only where the offence took place. This is already the case with Sexual Offences where abuse of minors can be prosecuted in some countries by its citizens no matter where the acts took place. Secondly if certain ailments remove or alter a patient’s ability to make rational choices, should certain ailments require that access to the internet is restricted or perhaps always supervised? This is already the case for ailments such as epilepsy with driving and helps prevent those suffering from inuring or disadvantaging themselves.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 108 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls