Mr and Mrs Smith

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Swissdiver
    Participant

Mr and Mrs Smith joined apparently IHG. While their city hotels look nice, prices are somewhat high for something that appears to be not so special. Can anyone explain me the frenzy about it, if any?

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1207229]

I always assumed Mr & Mrs Smith was a marketing consortium (like BW), or a booking agent (like Lastminute) rather than an operator/owner of hotels.

It would be interesting to understand the IHG thinking behind this move.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Old News. My wife and I have been members for almost 20 years. Nothing to see here.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

[postquote quote=1207250]

You were correct first time – they do not own or operate hotels.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

It is quite an interesting idea. We reported on it in 2020 (easily missed, there was quite a lot going on at the time)

IHG Rewards partnership with Mr and Mrs Smith goes live

The partnership allows IHG Rewards members to earn and redeem points at over 400 Mr and Mrs Smith properties.

Behind the scenes it would be interesting to know how it works.

It gives IHG members more luxury hotels to stay at / earn at, and the hotels themselves will see more people booking, but I wonder how it works with the revenue share and the rate the Mr and Mrs Smith properties receive when someone redeems at one of their properties. I guess each of the individual hotels must have agreed to participate – must have been like herding cats…

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I always thought Mr. and Mrs. Smith was an euphemism for an unmarried couple! 😉

2 users thanked author for this post.

EasternPedlar
    Participant

I stayed at a Mr & Mrs Smith property in Mallorca some
    months ago, and booked through the IHG website as I wanted IHG points. I could have booked via the hotel website which didn’t seem to be linked to IHG, so I can’t quite figure out the IHG involvement.

Redemption nights for Smith properties were available on the IHG website but were expensive and could not be easily cancelled (unlike for IHG properties where cancellation at short notice is a reward feature).

2 users thanked author for this post.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Thank you all for your comments. I remain though with a question: are the high prices justified or is it a hype?

EasternPedlar
    Participant

Their properties are generally upmarket, but have varying price points. The hotel I stayed at in Mallorca (Posada Terra Santa) was an excellent property and charged about € 180 off season. In June that’s gone up to € 325, but still not super expensive for Mallorca. Other Smith properties in Mallorca charge much more. I’ve had a look through their portfolio and get the impression that they have curated their properties well. It’s not all hype in my opinion.

What does concern me is that their rates are generally non-refundable. I don’t have travel insurance that covers trip cancellation (I rely on my global health insurance and don’t bother with the rest) so that is an issue.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls