More international airlines should concentrate more on Gatwick

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

• RichHI1
    Participant

I believe the instigation of a direct rail link between lgw and lhr would make it more attractive. The rails already exist with about 5 miles that might need electrification. It would not be HS3 but an easy connection with bags would increase attractiveness and lower aome costs, particularly if the cost was built into connection tickets. I believe a 20 minute frequency either non stop or with one stop at Clapham Junction would work. It would also increase public transport access to both airports. It also involves negligible expense and I am sure Beardy would snap it up having flights from both airports and a knowledge of trains

Bucksnet
    Participant

Rich, that is a stupid plan. Who is gonna fly into one airport, take the train, and then fly out of the other? They might as well just connect at AMS, CDG, FRA, MUC or any other airport where development is not being deliberately restricted by traitors in the government.

It’s probably only really useful for Channel Islands flights and maybe a few other routes, but they should really be at an expanded Heathrow.

NTarrant
    Participant

Tete – the link comes up 404 not found and there is nothing on the BBC site for the last few days at least regarding LGW.

There are no CrossCountry services from LGW anymore, this has mostly been driven by delays from the Birmingham to Reading sections which compounded to make an unreliable service.

There still is a premium service to Victoria every 15 minutes non-stop. The problem at LGW is that unlike LHR you have a choice of either a 15-20 minute journey on LHR Express or Tube 45 minutes or coach at a simular amount of time. At LGW the saving in time is a matter of a few minutes and there is the issue of four paths that could continue to the south coast as patronage from the coast increases.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Try cutting and pasting this: –

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-17476678

RichHI1
    Participant

Bucksnet I think some would, it would also make changing plans following delay or cancellation easier, it would aid public transport from Sussex, surrey, hampshire, wiltshire, dorset, devon and south and south west london. Additional the rails are already there so it is cheap and quick.

It would then make it easier to shift smaller planes (rj’s and the like) Gatwick.

What is rolling stock on GE? I thought they had the Ex Wessex Electrics taht used to run to Weymouth? They were quite good on taht service.

NTarrant
    Participant

Thanks Bucksnet –

There is a lot of bunkem in what they say, except that the type of rolling stock is not that good. Probably why many people prefer to use the Southern and FCC 377’s.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Rich, the Gatwick Express should stop at Clapham Junction, which needs completely rebuilding. Also, it would not be too hard to run another Heathrow Express service out of the south of the airport and along the lines to Waterloo. This can also stop at Clapham Junction, where people can of course make connections. No need for what would be a very lightly used direct link between the two.

Also, if the HEX trains went underground before they reached Waterloo, they could run to Bank along the Waterloo and City line.

RichHI1
    Participant

Bucksnet, I think you will find the Waterloo and City loading gauge would make this Impractical. The Southern link project was cancelled by BAA but I believe there are counterproposals being put forward by some local authorities. It is unfortunate that LHR’s rail links are solely focussed on central London. If you look at AMS or FRA or CDG they are much more integrated info national travel not just a city centre shuttle as LHR. I also think the T4 T5 split is utter stupidity with changing trains and long wAits with cases at T1-3. The line should go paddington t1-3, t4, t5 and then continue to slough or parhaps reading to give direct access to the midlands, the north etc.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Nigel, the Brighton line needs to be upgraded to 25kv AC overhead lines, and then a new fleet of trains can be introduced.

Rich, the W&C would need to be upgraded, but a train from the heart of the financial district to Heathrow would be more than worth it. Also, as I have said before, where the HEX line joins the mainline, both north and south of the airport, a new station could be built. All trains would be required to stop there and connections could easily be made.

RichHI1
    Participant

I hate to think what reboring the W & c tunnels would cost also the upgrades needed at stations which ate not geared for luggage or longer journeys. Will not crossrail Provide this anyway?
    Ironic the auburban section of Brighton line was overhead electrification. How much would elcetrifying the lines in the Southern Railway area cost? Given the low speed limits of the track, what is the benefit?

NTarrant
    Participant

Rich is right about the W&C line, it is very tight for modern stock. The purpose of Crossrail is to connect east and west and LHR with the City. Not sure what the time savings are predicted but even with stopping services it is supposed to be quite good plus of course no changes.

It is highly unlikely that the third rail in the south will be replaced in the forseeable future, there are not only the cost of the equipment but also clearances on bridges and through tunnels. There is nothing wrong with the third rail system really. I would not call 70-100mph as low speed Rich, which there are many on most of the main lines to and from London.

If LGW Express stopped at Clapham Junction it would slow it down considerably. The 442’s are slower to start off than the 377’s. During times of disruption LGW Express also stops at Clapham and East Croydon to move the people and the “not valid on LGW Express” on tickets is suspended.

RichHI1
    Participant

NTarrant not saying lines are slow but High Speed lines such as Eurostar and Shinkansen need 25kv to get sufficient power to run at 180-200 mph. 80-100 mph emus work happily on 3rd rail DC at 650/750 volts.

NTarrant
    Participant

There must be a problem with BT’s website, just seen Rich’s other post. The idea of a LGW-LHR service has been debated before on another thread. It will never happen and has limited appeal. It would be useless for Hampshire and even West Sussex. What is needed is the link between Woking and LHR which was abandond by BAA.

NTarrant
    Participant

I agree Rich but the Southern area is not “high speed” due to the nature of the system and that has nothing to do with the electric supply system

RichHI1
    Participant

I read that a local authority is proposing a lit version as BAA have sropped their plan. Do you know any details?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls