More BA T5 lounge experiences (formerly disasters)*

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 803 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

Anthony – interesting post. I suppose it depends how you look at it.

On the one hand £1,500 spend for status a year’s worth of lounge access is a decent amount of money for many people and you maybe would expect some recognition of loyalty.

On the other hand you could still be sat in the lounge next to people who have no status but have literally paid thousands for a one off business class flight.

The wider context here is that IAG need to trim costs and whilst the Iberia saga continues there are other ways of trimming the budget. That either means reducing the operational costs of lounges or tightening the criteria or both. I would see this as one step along that path.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I don’t believe that cost reduction was the primary focus of the renegotiated lounge contract.

British Airways made an operating profit of £330m (€347m) last year.

esselle
    Participant

I had given up posting here, but I will come back to this once more.

VK, it was price. Trust me. Yes, innovation, novelty etc were part of the mix, but it was price that drove the decision.

Travellator
    Participant

Esselle – Where is the inovation or novelty if what the majority of posters are reporting is indeed factual ?

esselle
    Participant

I guess what VK described as ” bespoke husband and wife biscuits”………

Travellator
    Participant

So Blue for blokes and Pink for Gals

SimonS1
    Participant

BA made a loss before tax of £100m last year after finance costs etc.

You can find the accounts here.

http://www.iairgroup.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=240949&p=irol-reportsannual

That’s why they need to save money.

millionsofmiles
    Participant

Bespoke “husband and wife cookies”?

This usually denotes a high quality, home/handmade food product, produced by a family business. Usually such food products have regional ingredients and are of very good quality.
    Or am I wrong?

millionsofmiles
    Participant

Revenue needed for achieving a staus:
    I know that LH had a guideline for Silver of 10K€ and 30K€ for Senator status. So the travel agent had to confirm such revenues to LH before they issued the status card.
    When they changed to M&M the thresholds in miles were around this revenue value.
    So if you can get a BA Silver for 2000 Pounds, that is a steal.

jaguarpig
    Participant

Love to know how to get gold for £1400, I thought I was fairly frugal obtaining it over the last 8 years but have never managed it for that .

blend69
    Participant

Food – I was in Concorde Lounge late morning a few weeks ago on my way to Miami. I went in the restaurant for breakfast. Sorry no Eggs Benedict because they had run out of butter. They were at least honest about it, and I just had another excellent champagne to make up. Truth known they sure helped my cholesterol.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

when ex-Europe fares are cheaper than ex-London its a good way to accumulate, especially if needing a change in the states. 6 sectors/trips + transfer to Europe to start journey….

RonaldoJ21
    Participant

First Class Lounge a disaster. At 6.30pm there was NO English speaking newpaper. Reception went to the Concorde Room where there on only one! I asked what the soup of the day was and was told mushroom – only then to be told they no longer serve soup. I asked for a bacon bagette – none. I setled for the mozorella pannini – only to be told after 20 minutes that there was no mozerella. There were no sandwiches. The food was appalling. The Manager shrugged and said write your comments in the book. cost cutting gone crazy. BA will no longer be my airline of the year.

endschi
    Participant

I was in the First Class Lounge in T5 four times the last two weeks. I can’t really complain. I had good breakfast, the cold cuts are now better and of bigger variety than before. Formerly there were two different champagnes available, this week there were four different kinds. Wine selection still the same, as is beer, soft drinks. The only thing I missed was the freshly squeezed orange juice for breakfast. Now it’s out of Tetra Pak. Apart from that, no complaints, really.

jaguarpig
    Participant

Eggs Benedict has been gone in the CCR since BS took over.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 803 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls