More BA T5 lounge experiences (formerly disasters)*

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 736 through 750 (of 803 total)

• fatbear
    Participant

Sounds like Galleries South this afternoon….

Unfortunately I was there in the period when they don’t serve any hot meals – just the 3 types of bland sandwiches, some cakes and the soup

BA4ever
    Participant

It was the Galleries North.

TominScotland
    Participant

I think that expectations about a very busy lounge, with large numbers using the facility, need to b realistic. We cannot (and, IMHO, should not) expect highly personalised, 3* (Michelin) quality at the prices many people are playing for their tickets. What we want (and, in my experience, generally get) is a range of attractive food options, tailored to the time of day, in a clean and well managed environment (that is certainly where improvement might be required).

BA4ever – “Both the bolognese and the green curry were vanished in a couple of minutes.” – surely that is testament to their acceptability to the those in the lounge and is somewhat contrary to those who describe the offerings as ‘slop’??????

I am intrigued by the notion of the stuff (sic) “fighting” – I hope the violence did not lead to bloodshed!!

BA4ever
    Participant

Tom, the bolognese resembled slop, the green curry resembled soup. The reason why they vanished was because they were the only things that seemed edible. When I saw the hot food, I knew I would aim for them as well, because the rest seemed, well, almost disgusting.

The baked beans were what they were, the vegetarian curry had unidentifiable ingredients in it, the pasta looked overcooked and oily and the rice was the wrong rice to serve with a curry, plus also overcooked. I am a good cook and I can tell from the look of something how it is cooked.

In no dictionary the sandwiches, or cakes, or hot food would be found as “attractive”. The salad bar was indeed attractive but it was cold, I was tired, I wanted something hot.

Would you prefer “arguing”? Although in my book, two people screaming to each other, with red faces almost touching, are fighting.

esselle
    Participant

I popped into the North Galleries the other day as I did not have time to go all the way over to the CCR (my inbound domestic flight was running late and I had to go to the B gates for my onward connection.

First time in that lounge for many months. Slop is exactly the word to describe what was on offer. And no knives, even after asking. And mediocre wines. Not good at all, and far from adequate for C or J pax in my view.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Well, Esselle, at least you don’t have that smell of sausages like at FRA (where the wines are even worse)…

Tim2soza
    Participant

I got told off twice in my recent visit to the First lounge.

First misdemeanor – The breakfast fare had been removed and the lunch offering laid out. I was too early in helping myself to lunch, but too late for breakfast. Silly me.

Second crime – my guest didn’t like any of the three bottles of wine on offer, saw the cabinet in the wine library was open, grabbed a bottle, and while searching for a corkscrew was told off for taking the wrong wine. It turns out all the posh stuff on display in the racks is not for customers. Let them eat cake!

Received the text based survey, scored the experience badly; no response, of course. Then on to the flight which outbound was annoying and return leg was fantastic; the difference; the cabin crew. Golden ticket dished out to Tessy Thomas who heads the check-in team at Bangalore. It is her 5th golden ticket. Please BA use Tessy in your customer service training, starting with the LHR lounges.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Sadly the salmon fish cakes have already been replaced by salmon en croute. Also the fresh salmon has gone! 🙁

I was told that the popular food does return, so here’s hoping….

MartynSinclair
    Participant

T5 lounge update 27 Jan 15..

In the F lounge, yesterday and today and in the past have been a big supporter of the food offering.

Yesterday there was some lovely pine nut and squash ravioli, which soon ran out and was replaced with some soggy looking pasta tubes.

Today, no ravioli only the soggy looking pasta tubes.

No salmon on the salad bar, instead rather dried and sad looking mackerel.

The menu service does not inspire me as it did previously.

Whisky and wine though, still good…

A big supporter of T5 F lounge, but currently, its looking rather sad.

rferguson
    Participant

Passed thru the T5 F lounge yesterday (30 Jan) around 14:00.

Hot options at the buffet were:
    – Carrott, thyme and lime soup.
    – Red thai curry (actually delicious)
    – Pork belly with fennel and curry seeds.
    – Chilli con carne.
    – Macaroni cheese

On the ‘to order’ menu – guess what…!
    – Soup of the day (carrott, thyme and lime)
    – Red that curry.
    – Macaroni cheese.
    – BA burger.
    – Stilton and pear salad.

So, three of the five menu options are actually what is already on the buffet. I really don’t see the point of the ‘order from the menu’ idea until they have a designated dining area with waiter service. It would be so easy to accommodate – there is loads of wasted space in the lounge.

The only improvement I saw over last time there was that some of the ‘posh’ tea’s like those served in F have been re-introduced.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

It appears the more elegant foods, such as smoked, fresh and flaked salmon, along with meat dishes are being replaced by dishes that were formerly side dishes.. such as the pasta tubes..

I remember a previous poster suggesting non alcoholic beer and this was being introduced. Did anything ever come of this???

openfly
    Participant

@MartynSinclair

Despite being promised by Sam the previous manager and Giovanne the current T5 lounge manager…nope, no Becks alcohol free beer. The first promise was made two years ago, but, hey ho , like most tjhings in BA it doesn’t happen. Iberia carry sit on all flights and has it in all it’s lounges.

rferguson
    Participant

Openfly i’m surprised you are surprised! 🙂

This is the airline that removed the solitary gerbera from the J class loos to save on costs.

If they are not going to get the beer for next to free they are not interested.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Nice touch by BA today, invited into the Concorde Lounge, before my flight to HKG…

OK, there is a sit down restaurant and the Cabanas, but I prefer the F lounge, which is far more bright and spacious.

Did not like the food in C lounge so ended up going back into the F lounge to grab some Salmon and salad.

Best thing about the C lounge is the Haut Bergey 2004… which I need to stop drinking…..

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Cheers Martyn. Have a good flight. Hic!

Viewing 15 posts - 736 through 750 (of 803 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls