More BA T5 lounge experiences (formerly disasters)*

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 803 total)

• dutchyankee
    Participant

@MartynSinclair,

So true, would love to meet plenty of members of this forum. I’m hoping to be in Florida or on my way when you are there/on your way.

have a great evening!

craigwatson
    Participant

canucklad – By your handle I assume your from my neck of the woods. In response to your comment that would be like saying all AC lounges should be the same. Vancouver, Toronto, Dawson Creek, Fort Williams….. etc, it’s never going to happen. You have your best product at your hubs, of which BA only has 1, Heathrow.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

dutchyankee – for the first time in 15 years, I have no summer plans as yet due to my retirement plans at age 50 going awol. Am far too busy to retire just yet 🙁

I will let you know when my Florida plans come alive, generally its for the entire month of August.

Feel free to email me on my Hotmail account.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Will do Martyn, thanks. I am back and forth to St. Petersburg (Russia, not Florida) for the next couple of months but will undoubtedly get to Florida another two times this year, for sure at Christmas, and then sometime this summer or early fall! Hope to be able to buy you a drink!

All the best!

JohnHarper
    Participant

MartynSinclair – 13/06/2013 17:20 GMT

+1, it’s great to see the positive benefits of this forum, meeting up away from home with someone in these circumstances is great.

If we had a thread dedicated to this, I wonder would people use it?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

JohnHarper – a calendar style media was once mooted as a possibility. Problem with creating a separate thread is it would somehow get lost once it left the rankings…

If a calendar or “I am going to be here” section is going to work it needs to be a permanent fixture on the front board and for that we need the support of BT!

JohnHarper
    Participant

Good point Martyn, oh well, it’s not the only idea I’ve had that fell at the first fence!

NNoah16
    Participant

How many shares do you need and what other T&C’s are there?

I have bought the shares quite a few years ago, the requirement then was to own 200 shares before October to get the discount the following year. I do not know if this is still available now! Simple, no other T&C’s, all BA flights eligible however, if you get the discount it becomes more difficult to upgrade via Avios to a higher class. What I mean by more difficult is that you can not upgrade early, it has to be last minute.
    Hope this helps.

stevemac
    Participant

Used the south and B gate lounges flying to DXB on Weds night and all I can say is that it was a very good experience. Hot food, cold food, drinks and cleanliness all excellent and to be honest if you want more flavours of crisps then go to WH Smith!

BigDog.
    Participant

The shareholder discount is a carry over from the days when BA were not shackled to a corpse. It should have been removed so all IAG shareholders would be equal. However it has been retained for those IAG holders of who held BA shares prior to the merger.

Although the discount maybe viewed as unequitable or inconsistent I believe BA management are correct in retaining it as a sop to the original shareholders as it was these BA shareholders who were royally shafted in the merger. The BA shareholders being exceedingly short changed in the BA(55%)-IB(45%) relative valuation – which IMO was far more for Walsh’s self-aggrandizement than enhancing BA shareholder value.

Biztraveller74
    Participant

I used the T5 first lounge today, so disappointing.
    Totally inadequate to people who spend fair bit of money on BA in business class and reached Gold.
    Very upsetting that an airline base is not granted with the state of the art, best food Lounge( like Ek in dubai, SQ in singapore or MH in Kuala lumpir).
    Even AF lounge in Paris is much better!

CXDiamond
    Participant

I just want to say that I found this thread so useful yesterday when I had a chance to meet Henkel in TPR in SIN. This is one of the real benefits of the forum. It is a shame it is diverted so much and there are attempts from some quarters to control the agenda.

Henkel is a really charming and intelligent man and it was a pleasure having dinner.

Shortie
    Participant

After reading this thread, I thought I was going to be really disappointed with the South Lounge. Being a creature of habit, I like nothing more than a red wine and some biscuits and cheese watching the planes before take-off. Well, I found my spot by the window, got my wine and then headed to the food section. And no cheese!!! So I asked a member of staff why, and was told it comes out at 6pm. I asked if this was because there is one delivery a day at 5pm and was told it was the new regime. I then expressed how ludicrous this policy was – if the food is there serve it. I don’t eat cake and had a sandwich at lunch as most people so the offering is just not acceptable. I then asked to speak to the manager as it’s not the waitresses fault. Superior comes out, apologies and gives me a plate of lovely cheddar ( sad, I know) and some crackers. All is good with the world in the lounge again (at least for me until next time). It seems a polite but firm word of complaint might see things improve.

nevereconomy
    Participant

After more visits to BA lounges than I like to think about, I can sum it up that some are better than other carriers and some worse than the others. They are not always the same from one visit to the next and there definitely needs to be a published timetable in each lounge to indicate what to expect at a particular time of day. Also do not go only by the food which is out – often all that is needed is a polite request for a particular item. There has without doubt been some cost cutting and I guess we all have to react in our own way to this – grin and bear it,
    change carriers or try and change it by telling BA. They could do well to model the lounge experience with Philadelphia – friendly, easy-going, nothing too much trouble, decent food and O.K. wines.

JohnHarper
    Participant

I was in the GF earlier this week over lunch time. I found it adequate but no more. I did think the lounge was looking a little tired in places and it could do with a good clean up. When I arrived my boarding pass was scanned without a word being said to me and I don’t think the two dragons faltered in their conversation with each other although I said good afternoon, it wasn’t so much as acknowledged.

At the moment I’m in the QR lounge which is a business class lounge. There is no comparison, this is superior in every way. It’s bright, clean, in excellent condition and the hospitality offering is probably the best on offer at LHR. The staff are attentive without being intrusive and there was a warm welcome on arrival. You don’t either need to watch the screens, the staff come round and advise you when it is time to leave quietly and discretely.

This lounge is a winner.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 803 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls