Miles or points?

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Swissdiver
    Participant

My current policy is air miles in those chains I only use occasionally and points with others. Assumption is getting points should be more “generous” than air miles (excepted may-be for one night stays). But is it a fair assumption? Should one do the maths for each program?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Good topic Swissdiver. In my case if it’s a chain I use regularly, I take the points. These build up and in the case of Hilton I can also use them to reduce my room costs. Otherwise I go for the miles, even if only 500 or a 1,000. Some hotels give you both and Hilton used to do this. Double Dip I think they called it but now it’s just one or the other.

When it comes to car hire, I go for points everytime. As an example, Hertz, where I rent for 28 days, will only give me 500 miles. An insignificant number compared to the points I receive which is enough for one free rental day.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi LP,

Hilton do still “double dip” and give you points and miles.

However, whereas they used to give you a fixed amount of miles (500 per night in my case), they now give you a number which is proportionate to your spend.

Cheers,

Simon

K1ngston
    Participant

Simon, SPG Starwood also run offers throughout the year to double dip points when booking certain hotels, albeit if you get to their Platinum status dont opt for Suite Nights as they are basically a nonsense and cant be redeemed and to be fair 90-95% of the time am upgraded to a suite anyways

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi K1ngston,

I’m also SPG Platinum and agree re the suites – I almost always get an upgrade.

I’m a little puzzled though about your comments re SPG ‘double dipping.’ In the Hilton sense, that means you get HHonors points and also airline mileage. I’m not aware that SPG has ever given mileage and SPG points?

Thanks,

Simon

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls