Miles & more new award miles policy

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• François
    Participant

Do not understand new Miles & More Policy since same flights/same airline/same booking class may result in different mileage award. What I DO understand is that mileage award has been severely reduced (as we all know when an airline is changing the rules!). Also, very long to get mileage on account after a flight if not on LH group. Anyone having the same issues?

capetonianm
    Participant

I haven’t looked closely into the new M&M scheme, as I decided long ago that FF redemption schemes are more trouble than they are worth – I do know that a number of posters here will disagree.

I understand that there is now a direct correlation between the fare paid and the ‘miles’ awarded. When you say ‘booking class’ I assume you mean ‘cabin’ as in F, C, W, or M, in the case of a 4 class configuration. However, within each cabin there are multiple sub-classes or revenue buckets, each allied to a specific fare.
    This means that you could sit in the C class cabin, but you’re on a deep discount fare, so your booking class (as opposed to cabin class) is Z, for example. You paid $1000 for your ticket and you get 1000 ‘miles’. The chap sitting next to you paid the full C class fare of $3500 ad gets 3500 ‘miles’ awarded.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Sanran
    Participant

It is even more complicated if you pay in a different currency than EUR, because on top of what capetonianm said, they make a conversion from, say, CHF or GBP to EUR. Anyhow I have no clue which rate they take.
    From my experience sometimes you lose, sometimes you win. If you compare the award miles with the status miles you get you understand which case is yours. Award ones keep calculating in the old way.

François
    Participant

Actually I was speaking of same booking fare, I am well aware that it exists different prices for same cabin, ie C, D or J. In my case, different mileage for exact same booking fare (D).

christopheL
    Participant

@ Francois
    “Do not understand new Miles & More Policy since same flights/same airline/same booking class may result in different mileage award.”

The new policy is very simple to understand (IMHO far better than the previous rules) : the more you pay the more you get miles. Same booking fare has never meant same price. The new rule is “same fare paid, same amount of miles/avios”

This new rule makes it impossible to do some “mileage runs”. No more bargains regarding mileage accrual.

Welcome to the pure capitalist world ! one penny worth one penny !

Within a few years I expect airlines stopping FFP’s and starting a new cashback game (which indeed has already started with Airlines who allowes you to pay part of the price of your ticket with miles/avios).

François
    Participant

As a matter of fact Status miles are still counted the ‘old’ way and it is the Award miles which have changed.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=878849]I decided long ago that FF redemption schemes are more trouble than they are worth[/quote]

Quick last minute trip to Europe tomorrow.. ba.com priced the return flight at £480 OR 9,000 avios + E42… no brainer really…. all sorted in a few minutes…

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=878855]

I decided long ago that FF redemption schemes are more trouble than they are worth

Quick last minute trip to Europe tomorrow.. ba.com priced the return flight at £480 OR 9,000 avios + E42… no brainer really…. all sorted in a few minutes…[/quote]

FF schemes can be okay (I make BAEC work reasonably well for me and you do very well), but capetonianm has a point and it will become ever more relevant as airlines slice the salami.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

In my experience a better use of award bookings, in this case CX, was to buy for example a Qualifying Premium Economy ticket, and then use miles to upgrade to Business. You have already incurred all the add ons so more effcient, IMHO

Flightlevel
    Participant

CX website won’t even download premium Y fares because of ‘connection problem’ yet Y fares are available.
    How do you connect the fare with the upgrade miles – not on the CX website – did you call?

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Flightlevel, you have to book a qualifying ticket, say Premium Economy in T,W I think, get the ticket issued and then go to Manage My Booking where the itinerary is set out and underneath that is “Check for Upgrades”. The challenge is establishing first there is an upgrade available on that, or all sectors, and second when you come to book the Business upgrade it is still available. Being a Diamond Member I usually call The Club establish there are upgrades available and they will hold the upgrade for me for 24 hours a whilst I get the PEY ticket issued. a bit convoluted but it works

1 user thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

From my understanding the fare paid will be converted to Euros, then you will receive 4 miles per Euro spent, or 6 miles if Senator/Gold. Not sure about silver.

For my usual route in F, MXP-JNB and vv, i would normally receive 39,000 miles and now it will be between 30,000 and 36,000 miles so a 10 – 15% reduction. However, status miles are awarded according to the old system, meaning I’ll still receive 39,000 status miles – which for me is a bit academic as I now have Senator for life.

François
    Participant

Thank you @luganopirate. This exactly what I meant, major reduction in award miles. Status miles is not relevant since I achieve easily each year my Senator status. Question : how do you get Senator for Life status?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=879226]Question : how do you get Senator for Life status?[/quote]

You need to fulfil 3 criteria Francois.
    Be a Senator for an unbroken 10 years – if you fail this, even in the ninth year, the clock starts again.
    Be at least 60 years old
    Have obtained in the 10 years at least 1 million status miles

François
    Participant

Thank u @luganopirate. Believe I fullfill the 3 conditions… Will then check with M&M.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls