Miles and more changing system

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Sanran
    Participant

I very recently received a letter from M&M announcing many changes to the program, starting in 2021.
    No more stars (short life!); more transparency in calculating miles; status achievement linked, it seems, more to flights on LH and subsidiaries than on Star Alliance partner.
    Does anyone know something more?

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

Full Details: Lufthansa Miles & More Changes

Lufthansa’s Miles & More program is changing elite-status requirements in 2021

It seems like a downgrade to the whole system, at least if you look at it from the customers’ perspective.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Swissdiver
    Participant

I am about to renew my Silver status this year with 30 flights (all European, all Lufty group (mostly on LX), some in eco, some in Business). I’ll have it for two years (or may-be 3 this time). But if I consider the new system, 30 flights would generate 150 (in economy) or 300 (in business) points (if the numbers in the article above are accurate). Based on this year travel pattern, I would actually be Gold (Senator) and not Silver. OK, only for a year. Still, it looks a bit too good to be true!

Senator
    Participant

I have been a Miles & More Senator for 19 years. These changes, with perhaps the notable one year vs two years eligibility change, are mostly positive from a status point of view. My current travel of 60 European, 12 long-haul Business and 8 long-haul First segments will likely yield med HON now rather than SEN. I have never been really close over two years.

Perversely, you can fly Frankfurt – Tunis in Business and earn as much as Frankfurt – Buenos Aires in Business (the longest route in the network). Personally, I think this system is set up to fail. I did a calculation a few years back that the cheapest way to get HON based in Stockholm was around 400,000 SEK (£35,000 at the time). Now, it can be done for around 70,000 SEK (£5,700).

2 users thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=978189]I did a calculation a few years back that the cheapest way to get HON based in Stockholm was around 400,000 SEK (£35,000 at the time). Now, it can be done for around 70,000 SEK (£5,700).[/quote]

At £5,700 I’d go for it, but how did you work that out Senator? I’d love to get HON status, but according to the website you need 1500 points, and at that I’d need to do 9.5 return flights in First mxp-zrh(or fra)-jnb as opposed to the old calculation of 7 return flights + 1 business in Europe, so not really a great difference.

To keep Senator I needed to do 2.5 journeys in First and now would need to make 3 complete journeys, so again not a lot of difference.

Luckily I am now Senator for Life with 1 star, and will get my second star in February 2020, not that it’s worth much now. I’m also wondering if Amman, Istanbul or Cairo will be continental or intercontinental??

Sanran
    Participant

Hi LP,
    reading the letter I guess we can forget the stars (even though I never used the “advantages of mine).
    Easier lifestatus is great in my case: I’m 37, with 10y as senator. With current rules I can only hope to see it.

Regarding new calculation for status I also don’t find a great difference. Doing a simulation for this year I’ll be exactly at the same level: 60% of HON. I’ll never reach it, but I’ll always be Sen.

Sanran
    Participant

I just checked and Turkey is considered Europe, therefore a flight from zurich to Istanbul is continental. Middle East is correctly not Europe.

Senator
    Participant

[postquote quote=978259][/postquote]

I have bad news for you 🙂 One star will not give you SEN for Life. I have two stars and 19 years, my third will come in February. I need a few more years still after that. You see in the M&M app your total number of star points. Count the days until 1 Jan, 2021, multiple by two. Then divide this sum by two and you will have your lifetime QP by 1 Jan, 2021.

OK, so if you fly ARN-FRA/VIE/MUC-RAK-FRA/VIE/MUC-ARN these tickets start around 5,000kr (SEK) or £400.
    ARN-FRA/VIE/MUC = 10 QP
    FRA/VIE/MUC = 50 QP
    120 QP roundtrip
    1,500 QP/ 120 QP = 12.5 roundstrips x £400 = £5,000

There are probably even cheaper ways. We will see a number of “HON-runs” to North Africa.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=978376]I have bad news for you 🙂 One star will not give you SEN for Life.[/quote]

Hi Senator, just opened the M&M app and see I’ve now got my second status star 😉
    I am currently Senator for life, for over 3 years now.
    The criteria as I understand it is (was):
    1,000,000 Status Miles
    Being over 60
    Continuous Senator every year for 10 years.

I made Senator in 2005 and received the magic letter end of 2015. I actually had more than 2,000,000 status miles and still have over 1.2 million to spend.

Senator
    Participant

[postquote quote=978900][/postquote]

Ah, you qualified under the old rules. Congratulations… You’ve earned it 🙂

It looks like HON for me come 2021..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls