Middle Eastern carriers’ service standards drop

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 82 total)

• esselle
    Participant

VK

It may be beneficial if you familiarise yourself with the cultural nuances which make tolerance of certain things in arab culture much different from that of the western world before making such naive comments.

Cleancabinair
    Participant

Nice one VK!
    “It’s questionable whether one should spend one’s money with an airline which treats its cabin crew with such contempt”
    Perhaps that comment should be framed in relation to BA, who to my knowledge has not observed safety standards or employment guidelines in the work place towards its employees following numerous contaminated cabin air incidents, associated to the death of 2 pilots including Richard Westgate back at the beginning of this year. Toxic air syndrome is a serious matter for BA and all airlines! So before sounding off about contempt towards staff, please keep that in mind!!

Biztraveller74
    Participant

Indeed,
    In a muslim country, you do not eat pork, you do not drink alcohol( unless tolerant one) but one should not assume that tolerant country will approve of everything most stringent muslim countries outlaw.
    As you expect foreigners to respect UK law when in the UK or western world, well, we need to respect Arab countries law when there, especially when you work there. If unhappy, do not travel or work there!
    Also, I think it makes no point to bring BA in the table when VK talks, lets agree or challenge on the merit of his arguments!

Airpocket3
    Participant

Does anyone else smell the stench of hypocrisy? Dubai is the Bangkok of the Middle East (it’s common knowledge that the clubs and bars in Dubai are haunts for Russian and East African prostitutes) yet the government has jailed two flight attendants for sending raunchy texts.

Biztraveller74
    Participant

Yes, your point is right.
    However if others rob a bank and do not get caught, does it make it acceptable for you to do it?
    You may challenge the fact that the two that have been prosecuted are from indian subcontinent origin, you may recall the case of a british tourist prosecuted for sex attempt at the beach!
    So law aplies to anybody when the choose so!
    Hypocrisy, sure. Naivety, also!

esselle
    Participant

You may characterise it as hypocrisy, but my simplistic view is that, when a guest in a foreign country, it pays to have an understanding of what is tolerated or not, be it religious, cultural etc, to know where the boundaries are, and to respect them accordingly.

You can argue until you are blue in the face as to they’re being right or wrong, but that changes nothing.

Airpocket3
    Participant

If the UAE Government wants to clamp down on lewd behaviour, maybe they should start by getting rid of the prostitutes.

Ahmad
    Participant

Forgive me VK but I do not see the ‘contempt’ shown by Emirates. Unless Emirates reported the couple to the police or aided their prosecution, I fail to see any attribution to the airline of what appears to be essentially a criminal prosecution by the UAE authorities.

Biztraveller74
    Participant

Well. As we may not be lawmakers in UAE, lets just respect the laws as they stand.
    Those who do not might learn the hard way

Btw: prostitutes is not wriiten in their passport. Not easy accusations to make.

Airpocket3
    Participant

If EK reported the couple to the police then it was a very harsh way to deal with the matter. The airline’s Human Resources department should have given them a warning and dealt with the matter internally, without involving the local police.

Airpocket3
    Participant

It’s not an “accusation”. I have been solicited a few times by les femmes de la nuit whenever I’ve been in Dubai. My wedding ring didn’t seem to discourage them from approaching me.

esselle
    Participant

Harsh by who’s standards?

What gives you the right to judge? Or are you simply applying western standards?

It was a pretty daft attempt to link it to Emirates in the first place frankly.

Ahmad
    Participant

I think the oldest profession is still pursued everywhere in the world. Have you never been propositioned in London or New York? Anyway, what is the relevance of all this to Emirates and service standards on Middle Eastern Carriers?

Airpocket3
    Participant

Esselle- What gives you the right to question my right to judge, particularly when I use the standards of a liberal, tolerant, rational country with a mostly esteemed (though,admittedly,not perfect) legal system? Yes, I am applying “western standards” because I can not comprehend the standards of a people/government that sanction polygamy, decapitation (Saudi Arabia), and a suppression of women and homosexuals.
    What standards do the Arabs apply when they judge the rest of the world?

esselle
    Participant

Airpocket3

Like I say, you can talk about it until you are blue in the face, but it will change nothing.

JohnHarper is right; if you chose not to respect the local norms, you must expect to suffer the consequences.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 82 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls