Middle Eastern carriers’ service standards drop

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 82 total)

• Anonymous

Airpocket
    Participant

I had a browse on Skytrax recently and couldn’t help but notice that,increasingly, passengers seem to be disappointed with the service on EK, GF, QR, and EY.What’s going on?Is the magic wearing off?Grumpy staff, lazy locals, mediocre catering, and airports that are a cross between refugee camps and Hajj holding area…
    Of course, I now expect a certain demographic to rise up as one in support and defence of their brethren!

sam9151
    Participant

Fact is, that the ‘customer is always right’ mentality is totally foreign concept in that part of the world. I flew Emirates J-class on a few long hauls last year, and was apalled at the difference between what they advertise and what they deliver. The customer-service dept. at EK is such a sorry joke, that I’ve not taken a single flight with them since.
    They’d do well to try some of the Asian carriers….and learn.

Airpocket
    Participant

Good for you Sam! I don’t travel on ME carriers unless I really have to.
    I think the local mentality is based on an arrogance and a superiority complex founded on oil wealth and foreign investment.Of course, once the recession bites them hard maybe they will show a bit of courtesy and humility.
    I must admit, the last time I flew EK J class I wasn’t disappointed.However, after hearing various complaints about them and other ME carriers, I think I’ll give them a miss.

Orlando777
    Participant

I agree with you guys! I used to fly EK from NYC to Dubai in J class. What a joke !!! The ground staff at Dubai Airport are the worst. The service and food on board … the worst. The only good things they have is the brand new airplanes but I will fly other airlines with same airplanes and better service.

Cameron
    Participant

I think service wise SQ are unrivaled and also have a very young fleet

Airpocket
    Participant

Flew out of LHR this morning and walked past a boarding queue for Etihad. Gosh it was long! Oh dear, I’m sure some disappointed passengers got off the aircraft at Abu Dhabi.

Henryp1
    Participant

Very much agree that standards are terrible, but to be fair its not just local staff. The general attitude of most of the EK ground staff is poor regardless of nationality. Its rare to find someone who actually wants to give a person and pleasant service.

Cleancabinair
    Participant

Lay the fault squarely at the airline managements feet! Yes they are trying to extract every bit of margin from their pax however the very people they abuse are the ones that are keeping them in the air.
    The crews are frustrated, disillusioned and in some cases operating on minimum rest! Thus the airlines are now affecting the safety of the flights by having staff who may not be able to react in a timely fashion to an emergency. In their defence I find most of them highly professional but abandoned by the management!

Airpocket
    Participant

Its usually round about now that Arab and Muslim passengers rise up as one in defence of their national carriers but,strangely,there appears to be a deathly silence from that quarter this time.Have they,too,given up and resigned themselves to the fact perhaps these airlines are now on an irreversble downward spiral, one day culiminating in a mediocre airline such as Gulf Air?

Cleancabinair
    Participant

Airpocket: Your comments would appear to be inappropriate in identifying a certain race & religion in not caring on service standards on the regions airlines.
    Perhaps if you read arabic you might a number of comments relating to the subject. They are also concerned by quality & safety standards as anybody else. However they are also more discreet in the way that they express themselves in print or discussion. So care how on how you represent this please?

MarcusUK
    Participant

Certainly my experience flying etihad, is they have pioneered a new phillosophy as a “guest” not a passenger with them, & it feels so.
    the aircraft are only a few yrs old, as the airline was only started a few years ago.

If there was a queue, its due to their popularity. Economy on board is luxurious, great food (the quality of some airline’s business meal), spacious. The 773 / A345/6 aircraft are quite comfortable, & a very pleasant experience to fly in.

Business/ Pearl class is also great, with individual suites, & i have flown down to Sydney with them here from AUH, so a long 15 hrs.

Must admit Gulf Air went downhill, & lost their base & custom, Emirates i have never been that impressed with, but Etihad have my loyalty & I would always choose them first.
    they leave the other Main strong carriers from Europe, (LH, KL) in the dark when you see the on board environment, on these routes.
    certainly, Etihad is one of he most luxurious economy experiencs for long haul for me.

Hess963
    Participant

Hi everyone!!

I can only relate on my own experiences. ME carriers are in general one of the leading airlines regarding onboard service, innovative premium seatings, great inflight food/beverage and good Y class as well. These attributes regard to EY, EK, QR the other ME carriers which are not mentioned are either inconsistent or do not fulfill the comtemporary premises of a world airline with sufficient service standards or still on the brink of bringing these service standards.

One example of a great airline in the past is GF. Before it was the national airlines of UAE, Oman and Bahrain. Now it is only the national airline of Bahrain. Abu Dhabi (EY) and Dubai (EK) went their on way and as history shows these new airlines are succesful and they have learned from the faults of GF. Just to be fair, certainly GF has improved their seatings( but honestly until now–not in all aircrafts), introduce “Sky Chefs” etc. But due to its “bad luck” in the upper management, GF has become one victim of what you blokes have been talking and lively dicussing previously. The very good and experienced Asian and Australian recruits( cabin and cockpit crew ) which I have cheerished long ago as a Gold frequent flyer of GF were long gone to other carriers like QR, EY…

These human resources have given GF a good platform to show its premium produts, only the upper management is the one who is destroying all these good efforts. Instead of pushing further in positve and long term commitments. But luckily EK, EY and QR are showing the world that inspite the prejudices about Arab and their working mentality, they are still capable of producing world class airlines and service standards that SQ, CX, BA, QF …. are trying to cope and equalise. So let us hope that new names like WY which is a promising carrier regarding premium class service or the ” old ” carriers like SV, KU, MS will follow the footsteps of EK, EY, QR. in the future and enhance the aviation with good and innovative products for us to experience and definitely not to see those airlines in a “black list” from our skies.

Airpocket
    Participant

I think one solution would be for a reputable carrier to just step in and buy GF!

sam9151
    Participant

This is nonsense. While a few of the ME carriers are world class, some others, such as Emirates, are clearly way behind. And while it may be a cultural thing, just try dealing with EK customer ‘service’ when you have a problem – it’s an absolute horror show. Etihad is an excellent airline, but many of the others aren’t worth the added stress.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 82 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls