MH17 AMS – KUL crashes

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 124 total)

• Anonymous

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Seems it was shot down over Ukraine according to the report. Anyone else hear anything?

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

We should all hope that isn’t the real cause.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I hope so as well. I can’t find the plane on Flighradar24 and according to Flight Stats, it’s en-route.

The original breaking news article said Malaysian Airline missing plane found, making me think it was MN370 then the headline changed to “shot down”, but now updated to only say “crashed”!

Very worrying and not at all god for Malaysian if true. Just had an awful thought, didn’t one of our members a short while ago say he was flying Malaysian ex AMS in the near future?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just seen this. Seems it was shot down with a missile:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/official-malaysian-plane-shot-down-over-ukraine

BigDog.
    Participant

TV news – reporting crashed after being shot down, 295 passengers and crew no survivors – absolutely tragic.

Reports allege Russia has previous both in this type of incident as well as recently being accused of shooting down a Ukrainian military aircraft in the same area.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28354856

Appears no link with missing Malaysian Airline – just bad luck same carrier.

coudntthinkofaname
    Participant

This is a terrible tragedy whatever the cause but if it was really shot down (as military planes have been recently in that part of the world) then the implications are terrifying.

My thoughts are with all those affected.

C

JKL
    Participant

The consensus on BBC News at the moment seems to be that it was shot down. The only positive thing I can think of about that is it would, I hope, point away from any inherent problem with the 777 or Malaysian Airlines (I flew with MAS last week and will be doing so again on Monday…). Busy air corridor, could have happened to any airliner I guess. But not good any way you look at it. My thoughts are with those on board and their families and friends. I suppose the chance of survivors is remote 🙁

JKL
    Participant

I have to wonder, why is Air Traffic Control still routing civilian traffic over that airspace given the number of military shoot-downs recently… :-/

nmh1204
    Participant

could airlines not have routed over a different country given the troubles in Ukraine? Surely that would be obvious for any airline?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

@CNBCPolitics: “…This was a major strike, a deliberate strike to get an aircraft at that altitude.” – Barry McCaffrey, retired U.S. Army general • #MH17

I don’t know where he gets that from, but it’s absolutely frightening and I’m also wondering why they route aircraft over that area.

I’m hearing they thought it was a Ukrainian cargo plane they were shooting down! Doesn’t make it any better.

canucklad
    Participant

Tragic and very disturbing, sky news showing smoke from alleged crash site and reports of bodies….

Earlier reports now missing from Russian news agencies quoted separatists proudly claiming responsibility for shooting down Ukrainian cargo plane…now just denial

Putin must be sweating,the flight will have likely had many nationalities on board as it originated at schipol

And like many others have flown above there recently and I’m sure I’ve flown over Afghanistan too….

I’m not particularly religious but my thoughts and hopes are with the families.

stevescoots
    Participant

I doubt Putin is sweating, in his mind its a casualty of war and he will bluster his way out of it, No doubt Russian special forces are already on the ground there to make sure any evidence it was one of the systems allegedly supplied to the rebels is removed before anyone else can get in. both Russia and Ukraine have FoF systems, the rebels do not.

Virgin have announced they are rerouting flights tonight to avoid the area

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Tragic and very sad for all concerned. My heart goes out to MH as well. Tragic tragic tragic

Presume the route was used as its the shortest for fuel burn (considering weather)…

nmh1204
    Participant

I can’t understand why airlines were still flying over Ukraine while all the fighting was going on. Surely it would’ve been best to avoid the area?

According to the BBC, Lufthansa, Turkish, Virgin and Air France are re-routing, but no word on BA, KLM, Malaysian etc

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 124 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls