MH002 – A380 or A350?

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Marc_ACB
    Participant

Im booked on a Malaysia Airlines flight MH002 from KUL to LHR in July. I was under the impression that MH had replaced the A380 on the route for the A350. When I go to choose my seat, I am looking at the A380 – but with only 18 seats in J running from row 6-8).

JKL
    Participant

It’s possible they’ve put the A380 back on for certain dates if they’re busy – they did mention a while back that would be the plan.

Rows 6-8 would be the front J cabin on A380 – there should be another 8 rows behind the galley (unless maybe they’ve removed them and replaced with Y or Y+ perhaps).

My July flight is still showing as A350, incidentally.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

That was the plan. But since then MAS has lost two expat CEOs and has found itself with six seldom used A380s.

It means that MAS has decided to roster the A380s on the London route to cope with peak period demand.

At the last count (bear in mind that this is subject to change) Routesonline.com said that the A380 would operate MH2 between July 20 and September 3.

This is explained in a previous Forum thread. Scroll down to my posting on December 16 last year.

Malaysia Airlines plans to operate 700-seat A380s

JKL
    Participant

No bad thing. I like the A350, but in some ways I think I prefer the A380. Maybe that’s nostalgia 😉

@Marc_ACB
    – I wouldn’t be too upset if you’re on the A380. And rows 6-8 are the ‘better’ of the two J cabins. Would be nice if they’ve refreshed the upholstery, but that aside, I personally think the J seats are more comfortable than the A350 ones. Each to their own of course 🙂

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I reviewed both flights recently

Flight review: Malaysia Airlines A350 business class

As I said in that review, my understanding is that

“The intention is for the A350 to serve first one of the double daily flights on this route and then the second, but with the option of using the current A380 at times when there is high demand.

The airline hopes that these new, efficient aircraft will help the route to become profitable; the A350 certainly reduces both capacity and costs on this route.”

Flight review: Malaysia Airlines A380 business class

Craig Bright

Just to add to the topic, we published an article in January regarding some of MH’s temporary A380 deployments in 2018, in that instance on routes serving Tokyo, Sydney and Hong Kong.

At the time, MH’s statement to Business Traveller said the airline would be “deploying the A380s opportunistically during peak periods to high-traffic markets”. Seems LHR is the latest destination to see the superjumbo.

Malaysia Airlines to fly A380 to Hong Kong, Sydney and Tokyo on select dates

Marc_ACB
    Participant

Thanks.

@JH_1234 I wouldn’t be upset – I like the A380, it was more just a curiosity that its down from 66 seats to 18 in J.

I’ve yet to fly in the A350, but by July I should have had a couple of legs on CX’s A350.

CAI
    Participant

Seats in J cabin on MH A380 are far superior to those on A350.

PaulHKG
    Participant

In the past 2 weeks I passed 4 times through KUL and each time (mid/late afternoon) I noticed one of the A380s being moved to the terminal.
    Must have been for the HKG or Tokyo flight then.

Only 18 business class seat? May be that is already a high density setup prepared for the haj runs.

TheMidasGold
    Participant

MH has some extraordinary business class fares between Bangkok and London in the summer. Business class return on the A380 for under £1200.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls