MH SIN-KUL-LHR

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• K1ngston
    Participant

I was in the UK last week for a couple of days I travelled MH this time with their A380 service from SIN-KUL-LHR I almost cant be bothered to write how far they have fallen from their heady days.

The planes are tired, shabby and the once superb staff are now as uninterested as their service. One thing that amazed me is their IFE, which didnt have one new film, they were all last years and I have never seen such a poor offering of entertainment. Luckily I had my iPad with me with recently downloaded entertainment ( thank you Netflix) shame the USB socket on the plane was broken ( on both legs) and therefore couldn’t keep the device charged!

When I mentioned this to the staff they were surprised and hurt that I had the affront to mention how poor their service was….

Don’t even get me started on the food which was disgusting and the general all round demeanour of the staff reminds me of a LCC flight I had the misfortune to take from KUL to BNE once on AirAsia, it still probably rates as the worst flight I have ever taken and this was on par..

One of the other things I noticed on both flights on the 380 is that the cabin is cold, is this something that people have noticed before or is it MH saving money? I had 3 of their measly blankets on and still froze!

So all in all, I will not travel with them again, I chose them as they offered a really good deal to the UK from SIN and I now know why!

In amongst it all I had a very pleasant experience in LHR Term 4 where it seems Sapphire does not get you through Fast Track I looked at the burly officer on the gate who not only said it was his discretion and therefore let me through, the whole experience was easy, pleasant and quintessentially English, so different from the Term 5 experience which generally is awful..

The MH lounge experience in Term 4 is not bad with good choice for Breakfast and luckily I ate as for the next 16 hours I did not due to the slop on board ..

I am getting married in the UK on the 3rd May and next week I am going to travel back on QR and then a few weeks later I am again back in the UK flying SQ so going through the whole gambit to try and find the best carrier from Asia to Europe.

I have not flown Emirates for many years and will be doing so in July to Barcelona I will then be in the unique position to comment for all …..

FDOS_UK
    Participant

IIRC, most aircraft cool bleed air from the engines, throught he AC packs, so I don’t think cool air represents a cost saving (though I may be wrong).

When I’ve been cool on airliners, it’s usually been because the crew have difficulty balancing the heat aroudn the hull (there are hotspots and colder spots usually) and if there is a slightly leaky door seal it can make the surrounding areas chilly (though it is not dangerous).

Ahmad
    Participant

@K1ngston,

Looking forward to hearing your comparison for the route. Which class did you travel in KUL-LHR?

K1ngston
    Participant

Hi Ahmad, thanks for your reply, I will definitely give the comparisons once flown all sectors, I currently fly Y as someone who recently started their own business I need to “save pennies” ….

Ahmad
    Participant

Thank you for clarifying the class. It puts things in perspective. I am aware that MH is in free fall but got worried when you mentioned their reaction to your comments. Had you been in Business, my appreciation of their decline would have been way off. All the best to you on your forthcoming marriage. May you have many years of happiness together.

K1ngston
    Participant

Thank you Ahmad …..

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=802619]Hi Ahmad, thanks for your reply, I will definitely give the comparisons once flown all sectors, I currently fly Y as someone who recently started their own business I need to “save pennies” ….

[/quote]

Good luck with your business, K!ngston – I started mine in 1990 and even though the tough days are in the past, I still weigh up travel needs v cost very carefully 😉

Y is quite survivable, if you need it to be! BA WTP on the 787 and the new seats on the 777 are very comfortable on the longer routes (haven’t flown the A380) and may be a future option for you. The same seats are on the Qantas A380, though they tend to command a premium over BA.

K1ngston
    Participant

Thank you FDOS_UK agree with you totally, can get some good J class flights but the cost differential vs what we can do with the extra certainly focuses the mind…

Basically throughout Asia SQ has the best network and Y is not bad, I have flown them to SYD, MEL and BNE and again not to bad, I will fly them to UK in June so we shall see, I have no problems flying Y I have status on most airlines but sometimes as mentioned the experience is horrible and is worth mentioning to others…

I will keep the comparisons coming …

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Interesting flight check, K1ngston.

You may wish to retry MH in 2018. I’m not sure whether or not you know but that is when MH intends to retire its six A380s in favour of twin-engined A350s. The latter will be placed on the London route.

As I’ve mentioned before the A380 is currently the only aircraft in the MH fleet which is capable of flying KUL-LHR non-stop.

Tom’s recent interview with CEO Peter Bellow contains more information.

Malaysia Airlines plans A350 arrivals

MartynSinclair
    Participant

In years gone by, tired and shabby aircraft along with badly or even non performing electronics (whether in the passenger cabin or flight deck) would be cause for concern. Nowadays, its all taken too much for granted… and on a newish (and probably not over used) A380….

Hope everything is in working order for your big day K1ngston – congratulations and I wish you many years of happiness…

K1ngston
    Participant

Thank you Martyn, most things are in working order and all that is left is for us to make it to the beautiful Sussex countryside on time … See you soon!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Congratulations on your forthcoming nuptials, K1ngston

My only LH experiences on MH have been in business, which is pretty good (to the extent they are becoming our carrier of choice, since the fares are excellent).

You may be interested to note that Norwegian are starting services from LGW to SIN later this year, and the fares are excellent – from GBP180 for economy and about GBP800 for premium (which looks pretty decent if the pictures are anything to go by)

K1ngston
    Participant

Thanks IanFromHKG for your kind wishes … You are the second person today to tell me about this and definitely something to look at, interestingly enough when I look at it in SGD its not the best price albeit the others are not point to point.

I have travelled on MH LH but circumstances these days does not allow so my report was basically how the masses are looked after 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls