“Men’s Only” On Board toilet – share your ideas?!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Anonymous

MarcusUK
    Participant

On route out to Dubai, & Sydney.
    Reading on my VAustralia new 777-300-ER on the way back, they have a “Ladies only” Loo! I recall Silverjet had this also.
    Not sure i can get my head round this..(though i haven’t looked recently!) Is this really a marketing advantage?
    Is this discrimination towards men?

As a more Jovial Post folks, what reasons can you suggest reasons to support the case for a “Men’s Only” Loo on Board?

* Men are generally quicker in the loo, as they don’t have to sit & undress so much, for the basics? Higher volume of use, & greater productivity…

*Men’s Paper consumption is less when standing rather than sitting, does that mean we do more to save trees?

* Men don’t tend to carry a handbag to the toilet for make up applications ,so need no table, & as some make up contains whale blubber, are we contributing to less harpooning of the Whales?

* We don’t always need a sit down facility, we can stand if the angle is right! If this was built onto the wall, the Airlines could fit a few more seats in, or extend the bar?

* No arguments or conflicts about women grumbling that the seat was left up…or for men to grumble the seat was left down. It would not be needed.

I do like Etihad’s toilets though, they have an open window, very relaxing to be looking out across the world, as long as your not using it before take off, as everyone will see in also!

I will leave some witty justifications to our regular forum BT contributors…!
    Thanks.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Indeed Silverjet did have a Ladies Only loo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvtpmMrSvlI

I am not sure segregating facilities ensures they are accessed in the most efficient way, but the idea of a men only facility is an interesting one; I think some airlines posited the idea of urinals on board, not sure if this ever came to anything:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/business/0,1518,553277,00.html

BABenji
    Participant

Marvelous post!

On board WC’s has long been a bug bear of mine. Just what are some people doing in there that takes so long?? (Men are just as guilty of this, I’m afraid!)

How about a “fast track” facility for those who don’t feel the need to spend a thousand years in the lav? A time controlled lock on the door would certainly motivate the more leisurely users amongst us to go through the motions with a little more pace.

PaulJennings
    Participant

A women’s only toilet with a time-controlled lock, a men’s only toilet with an automatically raising and lowering seat and a couple’s only toilet with a camera linked to the entertainment system

Inquisitive
    Participant

I believe a urinals will be very helpful in the long haul flights as tin near future the men will outnumber women passengers in business class.. At the risk of sounding biased, most of the time toilet queue is long due to lmore time taken by ladies. But that is nature’s creation and we shall not complain about. But airlines has a good reason to think about this. Normally there is a handicap toilet at the business class section that is larger – next to this a small urinals may solve the long queue problem.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Unless there is more than one cubicle in the facility, I’ve never understood the reason for men’s only or women’s only loos – after all none of us have them at home!

A Women only (or Men only) loo simply says to half the human race “you can’t use this even if it is empty”. what on earth (or in the skies) is the point of that?

NTarrant
    Participant

Have you ever seen the queues at events such as shows where the queue for women’s toilet is long but the men’s is short. Just imagine that, one side down a B747 or 777?

Its an interesting debate, well done Mark for thinking about this. I am not sure what would happen, perhaps someone might like to trial it.

Hess963
    Participant

I am for a male urinal ! I am definitely pro male here–as we do not need the whole toilet for a the small business.

MarcusUK
    Participant

Clearly the size of your Business , does matter then in this case?!!!

I shall break into the women’s only loo on the VAustralia flight, & see what facilities they have we don’t. If you Mile High, which would be roomier & less of a queue when you both walk out?

Extra Revenue – ideal for Ryanair…

Condom machines, or fabulous pill stimulants( traditionally in pub men’s loos)?
    Sanitary protection for sale in the womens?
    Chewable toothbrushes could be in both…
    Then we would get some of those dodgy cards left advertising carnal pleasures as in London phone boxes…but perhaps with a seat number on instead?!!

Could EK allocate a Men’s only shower room, on the A380 in First?
    I am sure hairy soap is not really a cross gender favourite!

I do love the time lock & entertainment system, though…thanks uys.

Now there is an idea for Ryanair!

d1rector
    Participant

You’re all nuts to even discuss such a preposterous, unnecessary and pointlessly expensive idea as segregated toilets and urinals on a plane.

fitbusinesstrip
    Participant

I think, while women tend to spend longer in the loo, a ‘men-only’ option will have guys taking the newspaper in, to read in peace… 🙂 We could have a long wait for the loo in future!

PaulJennings
    Participant

Bidets on a plane? Now that’s for real. Touted by ANA in its new first class.

“dodgy cards left advertising carnal pleasures as in London phone boxes…but perhaps with a seat number on instead?!!” Love it. “For friendship and maybe more, swing by 49K”

MarcusUK
    Participant

“Director” – this is a tongue i cheek thread, but a reality as some Airlines have women’s only toilets. Silverjet did, & VAustralia have.

Michel – try the card for seats 17A-K & up, more room in business, & the pre take of drink maybe better, with a bigger seat!
    Great!

Jan
    Participant

You appear to be at the front of keen impartial observers Mark.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/7304867/Japanese-airline-delivers-women-what-they-want-female-only-toilets.html

ANA are installing female only toilets now.
    Perhaps it is a clever marketing move?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls