Melatonin: Does It Work

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

I have had mixed experiences using melatonin to combat jet lag.

Have you used it, and do you find it effective?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Mrs S uses it, I tend to go to a GP and get something that will knock me out.

I also once replaced Mrs S’s Melatonin with small pill shaped mints – they worked very well, which may suggest that its partly what the mind thinks its taking!

Sleep well wherever you are travelling VK.

RichHI1
    Participant

Tried it with no success. I use an over the counter sleep aid from USA (not licensed in UK) as it is non narcotic and does nto leave me tired afterwards. I also adopt the reverse of airline timing which works well for me. Board the plane, go to sleep, wake up then eat meal and watch movies, with shades up if it daylight outside.

Ohet thing is no alcohol before or during flight (sorry VK I know that this statement and my politics will probably prevent you form ever speaking to me again). Once I arrive where I am going then by all means open a good year or mix me a nice Pisco Sour and I will be your friend for life.

Melatonin nothing, brown paper in the shoes nothing.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Martyn: You are wicked!!!

I personally find taking O2 Spa Bar Liquid Oxygen is more beneficial than Melatonin for overcoming jet lag.

Read more about this on http://www.sortlifeout.co.uk

ivornomates
    Participant

Yes it works well if you use it correctly and that is to make sure you have had plenty of water before hand and no booze. It kicks in fairly quickly and will work for up to 6 hrs. There are cheap versions on the market that I know people have tried and said it does not work. It is safe to take 2 pills if needed.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I’ll give it another go and report back.

maxgeorge
    Participant

I’ve found it useful, though that may, of course, be the placebo effect.

But decline the welcome aboard champagne – counterproductive, evidently. I stick to whatever full-bodied red is offered.

Buy your melatonin in the US. Ubiquitous availability, far cheaper than in the UK.

Sidebar – just used BA273, new service to San Diego. Wunderbar!
    Without LAX’s series of inbound Asian flights to clog ICE lines, I was kerbside in minutes. Nice lounge with full range of BA freebies for your return flight, too, despite being run by AA.

New 777, very obliging mixed crew. Deep joy all round, as Perfesser Stanley Unwin would have said.

City bus outside direct to the Santa Fe station in 5 minutes if you’re taking Amtrak up towards LA.

VintageKrug
    Participant

It’s not possible to buy it in the UK, but i can get it in the US.

I have never tried Melatonin, but I have recently rediscovered the beneficial effects of a Vitamin B complex. I take 1 about an hour before going to bed and they literally knock me out. Last night I had 5 hours’ uninterrupted sleep which is very unusual for me.

Has anyone noticed similar effects?

SergeantMajor
    Participant

Is vitamin B the same as Zinc?

I have found similar effects, and some others, too….! 😉

usflyer
    Participant

Vitamin B relaxes the nervous system so that may be why it was effective for you….

SergeantMajor
    Participant

Never take B on on an empty stomach, though. Can make you quite nauseous.

I am not an expert in this field SM, but zinc supplements are entirely different and also have very satisfactory results.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Now 7 months off sleeping pills…. and staying off. prefer one night of bad sleep than using medication.

Oh… is whisky considered medication?? :))

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls