Meal availability in Club World?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

• Tony-UK
    Participant

Have other readers had issues with meal availability on recent BA flights? My wife and I have just returned from holiday and we used BA (Club World) for our long haul (777). Going out from Gatwick my choice of breakfast was not available (we were seated in row 3) and on the return both of our mains and one of our starters was not available (row 4). I appreciate that occasionally meals do run out, but given how near to the front of the plane we were located it is surprising that this happened to us on both legs of this journey?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Tony

Where you sit will not (at least as the process is designed) affect the availability of meal choices.

Firstly, although I don’t claim to know the exact BA formula for loading meals, they do not load one of each for all passengers and derive the loadings from historical data, so if the cabin you are travelling with is somewhat away from the mean (in terms of typical choices), you may be unlucky.

The crew are meant to take orders and then prioritise by BA Exec Club status, so Gold/Silver/Bronze/Blue/none.

Depending on where you sit in the hierarchy of card holders onboard, you may end up with the equivalent of the day’s roadkill choice.

If you are happy to spend lots of money on a business class ticket and receive this type of treatment, good on yer.

ViajeroUK
    Participant

Have not flown BA Club World for quite some time, but from above comments it seems that cabin crew still come round to take orders prior to meal service, is this correct?.

My last few flights with AF I was asked what my choice was at the time the meal trolley arrived, this happened for main meals and breakfasts as well, no problem with choices. I was sat near the front of the business cabins, on a mix of B777 and A340, whether people further back in the cabin missed out on their first choice I have no idea. One of the breakfast choices on my last flight (served at 10.30am French time) was a mixed grill, and very nice it was!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I do not fly Club World for the meal service which is very ‘hit and miss’. Out of most airports and for less than a tenner, I can take my own feast on board, depending how hungry I am and the length of the flight.

I find the prices BA charge for Club World, so competitive, that I just accept the cr*p food service.. Would I walk to another airline just to fill my belly… you gotta be kidding…!!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

It’s interesting that you find BA competitive, Martyn.

I’ve just quickly checked a long haul to Africa from MAN in March 2017, to price a job for a client and the quotes were

£1335 – TK
    £1952 – EK
    £1811 – EY
    £2117 – LH
    £2708 – KL
    £2818 – AF
    £4624 – BA

All routings involve are indirect.

summerfly
    Participant

With BA its best to manage your expectations and come prepared:

I fly club world regularly and always reserve window seat (it’s like having your own little pod), bring my own soft blanket (use the provided one as mattress topper), bring my own noise cancelling headphones and at T5 I pop in to Fortnum and Mason to stock up on inflight treats (also English tea for the destination).

As for running out of meal choices – I wish BA would extend its pre-ordering service to all long haul flights. This could be the best solution if BA are able to organise this?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Morning FDoS…

AMS-BKK-AMS, mid January £1,416 in club + at least 6 free European sectors (avios, all easily redeemable)… Fabulous lounges in LHR, HKG and BKK…

My ticket for next week was just as cheap.. as I have been saying for a long time, I am convinced BA are paying me to fly with them.. 🙂

Why would I care about the food or even check with another airline… for me this is SUPERB value….

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Martyn, LONDON Airways works well for you 😉

Tony-UK
    Participant

FDOS_UK
    I have Silver, my wife Bronze status. On return flight we both asked for the same starter (she asked first) and I was told there were no more of the starters, not an issue as was happy for my wife to have her choice of starter ? It did appear that they were working back to front as I could hear several people in rows behind being told first option not available…

Tony-UK
    Participant

Expectations of onboard meals seem to be low in some quarters, however, my view is that I am paying for a premium service and I expect food to be at that level (and I certainly do not expect to have to take my own food onboard for an 11 hour flight). I only fly BA and Emirates business/First and there is a growing gap between all aspects of the service, including food…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Tony-UK, I also agree about paying for a premium service and expecting a premium product. However, in real terms, prices for the premium service have fallen over the years. When I first started going to Asia, 10+ years ago, I was generally paying between £2,300 and £2,800 in business on BA..

Nowadays, I would not entertain anything above £1,800 (tops). OK, I take advantage of ex-Europe tickets and also avios (which I easily use in Europe). But for me, price counts and I fully accept that the main benefit (probably only benefit) flying BA club world is the seat… and the fact that you know the type of seat you are getting – a very comfortable flat bed.

Virtually every other part of the onboard product is dated, poor quality and questionable delivery. So for me, spending a tenner of some decent food pre boarding, is really quite insignificant over the tremendous value BA currently offer.. If I get a decent seat, can watch a couple of movies, drink some decent whisky and fall asleep for 7 – 8 hours.. I am a very happy chappy…

nevereconomy
    Participant

Have to agree with MartynSinclair – for Club and particularly First Class BA fares are hard to beat if you can book in advance – they are notoriously bad last minute. I am spending my own money when I travel on business, so I can forgive some shortcomings if I save (in some cases )
    a thousand or more…just got a MAN-PHL Business for 1200 using a few AVIOS.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=776169]Have to agree with MartynSinclair – for Club and particularly First Class BA fares are hard to beat if you can book in advance – they are notoriously bad last minute. I am spending my own money when I travel on business, so I can forgive some shortcomings if I save (in some cases )
    a thousand or more…just got a MAN-PHL Business for 1200 using a few AVIOS.

[/quote]

Is March 2017 classed as ‘last minute?’

Also, is MANPHL on AA (former US Airways)? If so, it’s a good product.

Flightlevel
    Participant

If you are not that hungry I find a refusal of the wrong meal often works, they try harder – go upstairs on the A380 – & manage to find what you ask for. On the rare times that psychology doesn’t work you can always resort to the meal you don’t want later! Cabin crew don’like you to miss a meal especially in business class!

rferguson
    Participant

Tony-UK:

As far as the starters go they are 100% catered to passenger load so there is no buffer. Depending on route the split is usually 70%/30%. BA recently did a trial where there was no choice of starter and a generic one was handed out. It worked SO much better than the choice. What’s the point of raising peoples expectations and giving them choice to then tell them they have no choice? I can say hand on heart that during the ‘one starter’ trial not one person complained about there not being a choice. I’ve always noticed when flying AA and CX that they use this same method – there is no choice of starter.

The mains are catered at 160% so there is generally a good amount of buffer. Saying that it’s a tricky science. Depending on the passenger profile on the day what you ended up with left over last week you are short of the following week. For example beef can be really popular or really unpopular. If the flight that day happens to have a fair few families with kids you can be guaranteed the pasta will go quick.

It’s worth remembering you can also order your main course ex LHR in F/J/W.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls