MBNA Virgin miles – card ceased. Get your refund

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• David
    Participant

I was paying £140 pa for the black MBNA card, allowing me to collect double Virgin miles.
    When their agreement came to an end with Virgin Atlantic, I called them to refund the fee and they flatly refused. That’s rich considering that if I had used my MBNA card to buy a subscription service which suddenly stopped (like they did with their offering of Virgin miles), they would have had to refund me.
    Thankfully, after the Financial Ombudsman intervention, I got the refund. They’re clearly not going to refund anyone without a fight – so I’d recommend you contact them, and if they don’t play ball, get in touch with the Financial Ombudsman yourself. They’re very happy to take it up with MBNA.
    Jill Insley of the Sunday Times is also about to expose them.

1 user thanked author for this post.

mkcol74
    Participant

You shot yourself in the foot there. If you’d just kept the card while it transferred into their new product the Horizon card you’d have got a pro-rata refund of the annual fee plus as it was a black card an extra £55 for keeping it through the change period to the new Horizon card – basically free money.
    Plus the new Horizon card has pretty good perks inc 0.5% cashback on all purchases & fee free use overseas.

I guess you don’t read Head for Points blog.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=881364]I guess you don’t read Head for Points blog.[/quote]

I didn’t know of this site either Mkcol, thanks for pointing it out, it looks very interesting. I’ve only really looked at the Points Guy.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls