Should primary security checking be carried out on a non gender basis?

Back to Forum

This topic contains 33 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  FlyingDoc 8 Nov 2018
at 14:18

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Another point to consider, what if a man identifies as a woman, or the other way, who then pats down whom?
    And what if a man identifies as a woman and chooses to be a lesbian?
    I must say I find this whole gender/non gender business very confusing!

canucklad
    Participant

At the moment, I don’t have time to reply to LP’s excellent Friday Fun thread, however I’m taking to respond to this one, because there is a crossover of idea’s and sentiment.

I’m afraid I fundamentally disagree with you Marcus , for a variety of reasons, some points already been made, more eloquently than I could.

Should Swissdiver have asked the question ? …….. Definitely
    Should BT have allowed the question to remain ? ….Definitely

From a personal perspective , fellow contributors enrich this forum because we absolutely cover the full range of opinions , views and attitudes. By immersing myself in other people’s views I find myself occasionally re-thinking my outlook on life.

Travel has broaden my horizons, making me far more tolerant than I probably would be. And part of that journey is realizing that the so called “silent majority” pretty much have a common viewpoint, regardless of culture, political system or religious belief. The common man/woman in Minsk, Madrid, Melbourne or Manchester share a belief in social decency.

I’d describe this group as demonstrating, and I choose the word with a bit of trepidation …”Tolerance” or at best “Acceptance” of people not quite “like them”

By shutting down debate, you arrive at a point where the silent majority are side-lined, left in a darkened room . Crucially , the opportunity for them to challenge their own belief system , and move from tolerance to acceptance and sometimes embracing others is lost.
    IMO, People don’t change People, People change themselves. Others only help open the door.

Personally , I’ve had a few lightbulb moments after reading other BT’ers opinions and experiences.

You just have to look at recent events around the world to see the dangers of limiting debate!!

5 users thanked author for this post.

handbag
    Participant

Marcus GG

Google search for

act professionally -Acting like a professional really means doing what it takes to make others think of you as reliable, respectful, and competent. Depending on where you work and the type of job you have, this can take on many different forms.

I think this is all most of us want from someone that has a job to do.

1 user thanked author for this post.

FlyingDoc
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I have been very much on the sidelines for a while now, but I feel compelled to add to the debate.

I do agree with you, handbag, and all others that have expressed a similar view, that any job should be dealt with in a professional manner, regardless of sexual orientation. I agree with RFerguson that gaydars are not what the used to be (or perhaps I am getting old…), and that simply stating that someone was “obviously gay” does not cut the mustard anymore – as previously mentioned plenty of guys who seem to be somehow, shall we say, affected, are straight as they come, and the other way round. The point here is to treat everyone as you would like to be treated yourself.

I don’t care if it is a male, female or transgender who checks me at security if needed. As long as they act professionally I have no issues to raise, but if someone is not, straight or gay, I would report to their managers. I appreciate some people might feel uncomfortable with a security officer of the opposite sex, but at the end of the day, there are always male and female officers in place.

I am obviously a doctor in medicine who happens to be gay, which particularly at my training time, years ago, was difficult (read homophobia) as medicine has always been rather conservative profession, and not that inclusive of anything that deviated from the “normal” (normal being straight, married and with kids in this case). the number of times I have been asked my wife and my kids is enormous, which usually precludes a “correction” on my side. I guess this is so as I don’t come across as gay (there is some more gaydar interference perhaps…).

Thankfully medicine is now a more tolerant environment, and I am glad to even report that there are transgender patients attending our local school of medicine, which is great. Most of my patients are unaware of my sexual orientation, are extremely happy with the way they are dealt with and cared for (I have the audits to prove it!). To be honest my sexual orientation is nobody’s business, as long as I behave in a professional manner, which of course I do. If asked about it I would disclose it, bu I don’t go around wearing a badge that says “gay doctor here” either ! My colleagues and all staff are very supportive and although I come across the occasional colleague who jumps back when I told them, as if I was going to assault them sexually (they wish…I do have standards and this image that gay men are predatory and would sleep with any man in front of them is antiquated – there are still predatory gay men, of course, but please, we are all not cut from the same cloth…). Sadly homophobia still exists, but I don’t believe that ghettoing ourselves is the answer to be honest. I feel that getting everyone to see that we lead normal lives and are like anyone else is the way forward. Eventually inclusion will be there (it already is to a point), when people realise their neighbour/doctor/pilot/bank manage is gay, lives next door to them and hey, doesn’t have two heads: amazingly enough they are just normal people, like everyone else.

Still, sorry for the long diatribe. I didn’t want to make it a gay rights speech, but want to just express my views.

Keep posting everyone, I might not interact very often, but always catch up on the forum here – usually just a lack of time on my side to be able to post anything much.

6 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller October 2019 edition
Business Traveller October 2019 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls