Maximise upgrade chances at Hilton Group.. and others possibly

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

SwissExPat
    Participant

Recently I suffered from not getting the “space available” upgrades during my last 4 stays at London Hilton group properties which is one of the supposed perks of diamond membership.

A month ago I overheard a fellow diamond member on a car hire shuttle bus do the following. He made 2-3 bookings at his favourite Hilton properties in London for the same stay and then called his preferred property at 11am and asked what room he had been allocated. If he was not upgraded, he called the next one and so on.

Whichever was the best, he travelled onto and checked in, cancelling the others before the cut off.

Am not sure, I have the time to do this but it was effective and something I might try if the next time I am told “No upgrade ‘coz we are full, Guv”

MartynSinclair
    Participant

but were all the bookings for the same room rate per night…?

first_class_please
    Participant

Interesting move.

Quite possible if ones secretary looks after travel arrangements and can advise the choices.

MS – presumably the rates would be different in each property, but acceptable to the person or he would not have booked.

Thats what i like about my Starwood membership, upgrades are allocated 7 days before arrival for me and quite often are upgraded again before check in.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

FCP – do you use your earned upgrades? I find the property upgrades me based on the Plat card, which is always recognised… and valued…

Generally save the guaranteed upgrades for when I am not travelling alone….

Tim2soza
    Participant

Arrived at the Park Lane Hilton a couple of Saturdays ago, I’m HHonors Gold. It was the night of the Saracens award dinner. Upgraded to a huge suite from a standard room, which made Mrs2sms very happy.

Met Victor Ubugo who was an absolute scream and had us all in stiches.

first_class_please
    Participant

Martin, I`ve never used one of my upgrade vouchers and currently have 20 valid ones in my account.

I either travel alone or with Mrs FCP so my card status is enough, and actually provides the upgrades 7 days in advance, while the suite certificates are only valid from 5 days before arrival. They would be of use if I needed to book additional rooms.

Do you stay in the Sheraton Grande in Bangkok? I found the Rama suite there quite wonderful on my last stay.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi FCP

I stay opposite the Sheraton Grande at the FABULOUS Westin, although I sometimes meet clients in the lounge of the Sheraton.

The Westin benefits from a great exec lounge on floor 24.

For me to stay anywhere else in BKK would feel as if I was having an extra marital affair……. (although I have to admit to staying for one night a week or so back at the Sheraton down by the river. One of the best views from a hotel money can buy in BKK, but service was lacking).

first_class_please
    Participant

Thats good to know Martin. I`ve just booked a night at the Westin in October, which already shows as upgraded to a deluxe suite from a standard cheapest possible room!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls