Mask and or gel (in London/or where ever you are)

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

We are reading about the effectiveness of the mask and sanitising gel. In the Far East, these are now worn, generally, as standard kit. Yes the medics have suggested, the effectiveness of the mask and in their opinion, its of little value. Yet most of the medics are in full hazmat suits, including 100% face covering.

For me, one of the strangest pictures were the ones of the evacuees arriving into quarantine by coach. Evacuees, face masked up, medic full hazmat suit and driver, no protection.

So my questions where ever you are in the world.

1. Would you consider using the mask when you go out and if so at what point?
    2. Do you carry around hand sanitizer gel?

For me – I now carry 2 masks in my brief case and will start using them in London soon… especially on the tube and other forms of public transport

Gel – yes, I already use and carry a couple of those small pots.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I wore the mask when in Hong Kong on the MTR.

I don’t think it makes much difference, though it does stop people touching their nose and mouth, which is a good thing.

I think a long hand wash is as good as the gel, but I have some in my bag so if I wanted to eat something (an apple, for instance) with my hands, I’d use that if I didn’t have access to hand washing facilities.

If the government thinks that 50-80% of us are going to get it anyway, all we can do is delay it as long as possible to relieve the peak pressure on the health service.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

You wouldn’t catch me wearing a mask anywhere. But then I’ve never been the sheep Type!

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

Have you even tried to buy hand gel? All shelves are bare wherever you look, there is none anywhere. Soon it will be toilet paper, beans and pasta.
    As for 80% of the uk population contracting this virus…. the media and Boris should be held responsible for generating unnecessary panic. What cuckoo land do they live in? There are 1.3 billion in China and around 75,000 virus cases, work that out. It’s not even half a percent.
    The government and media are acting as if world war 3 has started.

3 users thanked author for this post.

PointyMark
    Participant

I was an early adopter of face masks, but media reports that they’re next to useless has made me less confident about wearing one.
    I’m confused by the disinfectants and gels issue. I thought such things only killed bacteria, so how come they’re being used to fight a virus?

Vistaro
    Participant

@Ah,Mr.Bond Perhaps if they ration the beans the toilet roll problem will go away ….

agsteele
    Participant

@PointyMark I understand that the gel has to have at least 60% alcohol to be effective. Also, the gel does provide a handwashing function so whilst soap and water are best, a 60% alcohol hand gel is a second best option.

Bucknall
    Participant

Lets put this in proportion…..Common flu through to Cancer, Road Deaths – and sadly suicides will kill many many more people in this time frame than Coronovirus. The media is hyping this up and whilst I agree that we should be aware, the end result is becoming mass panic!

2 users thanked author for this post.

stevescoots
    Participant

I never used to carry anything but since this all started I have gel and a packet of milton wipes that i uses to wipe my seat area, table etc. I have masks and wore one a short while in HKG while in transit before getting frustrated and gave up on it. I wore one in the Taxi from SGN to my home there…then did not bother afterwards!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

[postquote quote=992574][/postquote]

You would if you were in Hong Kong and using public transport.

EasternPedlar
    Participant

I got sneezed on at Heathrow a few weeks ago. A man walking towards me with bags in his hands couldn’t cover his sneeze properly, and I had droplets (of who knows what!) on my face and jacket. Not nice! Since then I have taken to wearing a surgical mask in crowded places, particularly airports and train stations. I have a small supply of masks which I use on a wear-and-throw basis. I also carry a bottle of hand sanitiser, which I use whenever I have reason for concern.

I am sure that I still pick up bacteria etc from surfaces, and touch my face unthinkingly, but I will still continue with my precautions because they reduce the chances of my catching the virus.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=992564][/postquote]

You should wear the mask in the bar Martyn that might cure the hangover??? Personally I wouldn’t be seen dead in a mask, if you dont have the symptoms you are self perpetuating your own downfall if you wear one. May I suggest head to the nearest bar and have a nice 12 year old malt and then a second and possibly a third, and then after ….. who cares!!!!!

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

I have seen it all over the last 3 weeks travelling in India, Dubai, Kenya.

The full ‘gas mask’ type in Dubai. An immigration officer in India who was hot and had his mask on his chin while he took a breather. And going to Nairobi an elder gent with a bushy beard and a mask perched on top.

He looked a complete fool, and it brought home to me the futility of the whole thing.

It did also make me wonder about the biometrics readers in some places. There was hand sanitizer in every place except Dubai, plus good news, the Zika posters are still there in Mumbai.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

So lets take this discussion one stage further.

Having been out in the pouring rain, its freezing cold and after a meeting you had been waiting for your uber a little too long. The sniffles start within a few hours, sore throat, symptoms you just don’t want, but no temperature. You haven’t been anywhere at risk, but no longer seems to matter.

Depending where in the world you were, would you go to a Doctor, self isolate, go for a corona test OR just get on with life as normal?

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=992763][/postquote]

Freezing cold? That must be a Northern Europe thing? I refer you to my previous mail, find a bar break out a nice 12 year old malt and self medicate …..

AK
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls