Marriott remains the worst hotel chain!

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

• seasonedtraveller
    Participant

I’m Diamond with Hilton, Concierge with Radisson & Platinum with Marriott.
    Both Hilton & Radisson always reward my status, Marriott, less often.
    I’m not sure that Marriott are the worst but I do have a few issues.

The biggest issue that I have with Marriott if that there is no real difference between being Gold status & Platinum. To reach Platinum above Gold, an additional 25 nights are required but for what exactly?

Since my average room spend is $190 – 25 x $190 = $4,750.

Gold get room upgrades
    Gold get free breakfast
    Gold get lounge access
    Gold get free premium WiFi

As Platinum, I cannot think that I get any additional benefits above Gold and, I’ve only ever had one single room upgrade in the past 2 years so, I’m spending almost $5,000 more to reach Platinum for what extra?

BIllyBleach
    Participant

Surely the answer is don’t chase Platinum then and use the nights to build up status with another chain

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Jamie.

The additional 25 nights with Marriott wouldn’t get me any status with another chain though.

Edited to add. Despite what I said above, just arrived at MAN airport Marriott and upgraded to a very nice suite.

JMJF2380
    Participant

Don’t you find those suites at MAN almost too big? The two rooms are enormous! I’ve lost track of the number of times I have got lost in those never ending hallways.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

JMJF2380 – 08/05/2016 22:02 BST

The one I was in last night was huge and, you are right, the hotel itself is like Hampton Court Maze.

I use it because of the great value I often get.

£104 rate including 15 nights parking is hard to beat plus, a taxi is included to and from the airport & I get ‘free’ breakfast.
    All in all, a really good deal.

TS-Andy
    Participant

I just had an experience with IHG on the award of points. I was informed by IHG that because the room rates was on coporate discount rate and hence don’t quality for reward points. Other incidentals ( I supposed meals and laundry services are incidentals ) do qualify for reward points.

For Marriot and Radison Blue hotel groups (about 1 to 2 year ago), rewards points were duly given dispite room bookings were on coporate discount rate. For Shangri-la Hotel Group, my experience with them were that they always give due rewards ponts even though the room rates were on corporate discount rate.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Stayed at Marriott County Hall last week and got … 130 points for 3 nights! Yeehaw! Well, I guess they only gave points for the extras.
    And, no, wifi wasn’t free, event for Marriott Rewards members: GBP 7.5 / day for a sluggish connection, GBP 15 for a normal one.
    Thank you, Marriott!

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Stayed in 2 Marriotts in Germany last month and, because of Marriott LT Gold card, was upgraded to Exec lounge access. In Germany the lounges are now on a par with Hilton as they now offer spirits as well as wine & beer, all included. Also open till ~ 9PM. Food average, but as good as Hilton. I am currently Hilton Diamond but will lose that this year and go to Gold. As Hilton are not as generous as Marriott to Gold cards I shall book more with Marriott.

In my experience all of the major chains give Wi-Fi and points, but only if you book direct, and are enrolled in their programme. Think about it: If you book through a broker such as Booking / Hotels / Expedia you are presumably doing this as it is cheaper. The agency is getting say 15% commission so the hotel is probably getting ~20% less revenue than from a direct booking. Why would you expect anything to be included?

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls