Marriott customer service.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• Anonymous

PatJordan
    Participant

For quite a while, I was keen to maintain my elite status with two hotel chains, and in so doing I tended to ignore others.

In the past two weeks, I have stayed in two Marriott hotels: Bexleyheath (UK) and Ashbourne (Ireland). I also took advantage of a status match promotion Marriott were running and have a Gold Rewards card.

My initial impression of Marriott was that they were genuinely interested in my business (and I responsible only for my own accommodation, not a large organisation).

The staff in both Hotels were very friendly indeed and couldn’t do enough to make my short stays more enjoyable. My wife also felt that the overall attitude of staff was superior to that of other chains.

One positive is that in another thread on this forum, a senior executive of Marriott identified himself as such and published his contact details. Not only does he read the forum but interacts with us mere mortals. A very refreshing change.

OK, I can only speak on foot of two hotels in a internaitonal chain, but if first impressions count, then mine are very much pro-Marriott.

I’d welcome the views of other posters on this.

Pat

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

I am Top Tier with 3 chains and have been for some years now. For this reason, I tend to use these groups to the exception of the others.
    I stay away around 200 nights of the year.

Hilton – Diamond
    Priority Club – Platinum
    Goldpoints Plus – Gold

Other than the rather obvious points collection for reward nights, the following is true;

Hilton – Never dissapoint (well, ok, perhaps Manchester airport does) and always treat me well. Always room upgraded, always complimentary breakfast, always free of charge internet and generally cannot do enough for Diamond guests.

Priority Club – No recognition, no room upgrade, nothing else offered. There is a charge for internet in all but a few hotels regardless of room price. (on very rare occasions, I have been given a room upgrade at Crowne Plaza)

Goldpointsplus – Room upgraded about 50% of the time. Free internet in Radisson Blu. 15% discount on food & drinks. No other benefits.

On reflection, it looks like a may just transfer from Priority Club to Marriot.

I have just Emailed Marriot to see if they are prepared to staus match – we shall see.

Binman62
    Participant

PJordan. Like you tend to stick to a one chain to maintain status. Last year as a result of the volcanic disruption I got stuck in a Marriot for 4 days. When advised initially that I was going to a Marriot I was delighted and had high expectations. Sadly, from the moment I arrived things went down hill.

The queue to check in was horrific ( granted they had just had a plane load of customers) There was chaos but in the end we given two interconnecting rooms with a fabulously comfortable bed. The bed was was the only thing that was fabulous.

The food was awful and the menu was not altered one bit even though they had hundreds of extra guests and would have for up to a week. The service however was simply awful with a complete lack of empathy or sympathy for those who were stuck. We were clearly a nuisance. The internet was being charged at £15 a day and despite a number of people appealing for some reduction under the circumstances they hotel did not budge. I used the Hiltons signal from a neighbouring hotel.

Vouchers were required for all meals and despite spending less at each meal than the vouchers handed over the staff waited for tips. In one instance I was asked outright for tip at which point they and the manager were told just what I thought of the hotel and service.

I think you are so right about first impressions, sadly mine was awful and so i stick to ICHG and Hilton. Both offer a great range fo hotels and both have a pretty good loyalty programme.

Thinking of staying at a new Courtyard that has opened up in a favourite destination of mine but the experience of last April has stuck….so I just do not know.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Please note it’s spelled Marriott not “Marriot”!

I am top tier with Marriott, Priority Club, Accor a-club (Sofitel) and Starwood (the latter comped), so I have a good overview of the various schemes.

I used to be Gold with Hilton, but find their properties so variable that, to paraphrase Forrest Gump “you never know what you gonna get”; it’s easy to earn points with them, but their hike in redemption rates last year was the last straw for me, particularly as (with three possible exception of the Hilton Arc de Triomphe and the Hilton Rome) there aren’t may top notch Hiltons I’d actually want to redeem my points in.

Hilton and Starwood are both equally good at actively recognising status both at check-in and by actually doing something about it with freebies or an upgrade; Starwood has some superb top range Luxury Collection properties in which to redeem

My experience with Marriott is pretty good, especially now they have a deeper tie up with Ritz-Carlton for redemptions (though the systems are not yet fully integrated), and the points/gift option at check in is a good perk.

ICHG’s Priority Club makes it so easy to reach Platinum that anyone who stays a reasonable amount in hotels can reach it within weeks rather than months, so there is accordingly little differentiation at its regular brands, and the Royal Ambassador programme is the only differentiator for their Intercontinental brands, but it’s also a very generous programme so it tends to be my main focus even though status means little in many of their hotels.

Sofitel hotel rates are jaw-droppingly expensive but you do get what you pay for at their European business hotels, but their resorts (based on my recent modest sample of three) are variable to poor and their cash-value voucher system means it’s difficult to score a bargain.

The biggest bugbear is the lack of consistent free broadband internet to top tier members; Marriott does it at all group properties, ICHG on at “participating” IC’s if you’re a Royal or regular Ambassador, Starwood can usually be persuaded to offer it, but it’s usually down to your room category/corporate deal. Accor have always given me free internet. Not sure what the latest Hilton policy is.

NTarrant
    Participant

I don’t think that I have ever stayed in a Marriott, primarily because there has never been one near where I need to be. I would suspect that is possible true with a number of business travellers, not just Marriott but other groups as well.

I used to be a real fan of Accor and they have hotels in most places I needed to be, but the customer service on the loyalty scheme is appauling and as has been detailed by me and other on the forum, getting points added for stays can be a nightmare.

Like Seasonedtraveller, I now stick with Hilton, Priority Club and Goldpointsplus. I do think that it is a shame that Priority Club members are not recognised, with the exception of IC if you have Ambassador.

VintageKrug
    Participant

One tip, though it seems obvious, is to always present your membership card at check in; systems don’t always highlight your status, and it prompts the check in agent to acknowledge your card and at that stage it’s not inappropriate to ask if there are any better rooms available.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“Starwood can usually be persuaded to offer it, but it’s usually down to your room category/corporate deal”

VintageKrug, Starwood offer free internet to all platinum card holders as well as free continental breakfast.

It may be your complimentary Platinum status that puts a special marker on your account saying, “This man, no free internet”.

watersz
    Participant

I’m also top tier at Marriott and Hilton and if it wasn’t for things like the current promotion of quad points on 4 night stays treble on 3 and so on I would certainly first choice Marriott.

As said above the standards at Hiltons from one town to another can go from the ridiculous to the sublime

As a contributor to Trip advisor I have had the pleasure recently of voicing my sarcasm about the Hilton Stanstead airport and Manchester Deans gate
    Generally Marriott’s are a cut above in my book but do have their blips, (Marriott York)

conair346
    Participant

Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre offers free wifi in the club lounge and public areas, not sure on the in-room wired policy though.

And generally they’ll upgrade Platinum PC members to club rooms if available, though sometimes not club rooms but larger than standard rooms. Theres also a line on the right of reception for PC members to checkin, they tend to pre-checkin regular guests so you just have to say hi and everything is already sorted!

Communipaw
    Participant

Marriott has alway’s been my hotel of choice when I travel on business. They are always courteous and professional.

Hilton is my second choice. But dependant on the location, they can be rather hit and miss as far as their service is concerned.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi,

I’m Hilton Diamond and Starwood Gold.

I always found Hilton great if I wanted an upgrade to the Exec Floor. This tends now not to happen as commonly as it did (although I have the right to use the Exec Lounge as a Diamond). I think this is due to the “e-upgrades programme.” I did, however, having said that, get an upgrade to an Exec Room tonight in Zurich.

I now tend to book an Exec Room with Hilton and forget room upgrades, and the value of Diamond status to me is really now limited to the 50% bonus and free internet.

Starwood is a different kettle of fish. Although a humble Gold, I have almost invariably been upgraded to suites since I achieved status and, although only Platinum are supposed to received free internet, I have been given that benefit a few times too. The redemption levels with Starwood are not as generous as with Hilton, but the day-to-day status benefits seem, to me, to be much better.

As far as IHC are concerned, I try not to stay with them at all, largely because of the eroding of the Holiday Inn standard. I was a member of the (largely invitation-only) InterContinental Six Continents Club in the 80s and early 90s, where you always got an upgrade to a suite and other on-property benefits (it was not a point-earning concept, but a genuine CIP recognition programme). It was abolished a few years after the Bass takeover and replaced with the Ambassador Club, I believe. It is a sadly missed programme.

Regards,

Simon

Potakas
    Participant

I am Gold Marriott rewards , and my travel plans can give me an elite status only in one chain . Whenever i cannot stay at a Marriott i use IPrefer because they have nice prices and they don’t require status for upgrades and free breakfast.

On both programs I have 100% success on upgrades, with most noticeable an upgrade I got on JW Grosvenor House , from the cheapest guest room, six levels up to an Executive Suite! Marriott has excellent service and every the time I forgot something on my room i had it posted to my address next week.

IPrefer program works fine but the hotels are individual properties so i cannot say something general, although all my stays were very pleasant.

If someone cannot maintain status on a hotel chain i recommend the IHG, you have to buy an Ambassador status for 200$ and you get Priority club Gold status + 1 night free (which gives you your money back) Ambassador gives you benefits (Guaranteed room upgrade , late check out, free pay TV) only on Intercontinental properties and not on other properties such as Crown plaza.

PatJordan
    Participant

Since I started this thread, I have had a couple of minor issues with my Marriott Rewards account. I got in touch with the company and was absolutely amazed with their response….

I was comped to Platinum Elite!

This is a substantial upgrade from where I was and surely an indication of a company that looks after its customers.

Well done Marriott Rewards

Pat

Swissdiver
    Participant

Priority Club Platinum (and Interconti Ambassador): the former is for the points but also gives guaranteed booking, a feature I use from time to time, but it is the later that gives the nice benefits (late check-out, upgrades…). I used to be Royal Ambassador and this level is a treat. Almost always upgraded to a suite, free mini-bar, …

A-Club (Sofitel) Platinum: I think they grandfathered former “Moments” members to Platinum and for some reason, they are maintaining this level for me. Always upgrades and guaranteed rooms are key features. Also the reward system is not bad as they give you cheques to be used at check-out…

I am also in other programs at a lower level… The fact is that often I do not choose my hotels any-more and only have a veto right I seldom use.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls