Marco Pierre White Steakhouse & Grill, Dawson Street, Dublin, Ireland

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

uggboylovestravel
    Participant

August 2015, Our lunch

Being under way in the city of Dublin, Ireland we were hungry and decided spontaneously to go to Marco Pierre White Steakhouse & Grill on Dawson Street. Dawson Street is near Trinity College and just off Grafton Street.

We were arriving at a time when it was quiet, so getting a table without reservation wasn’t a problem, but we had to vacate it within 2 hours.

The restaurant is beautifully designed with monochrome colors in black and white, classic chandeliers, a huge flower arrangement and lots of photographs. Guests can also sit outside.

We were brought to our table inside and given the a la carte and value menu and the wine list. The value menu was attractively priced. A one course cost 16.95 Euro (ca. 19.10 USD), a two course is 21.95 Euro (ca. 24.70 USD) and a three course 26.95 Euro, ca. 35.35 USD.

After some discussion we ordered a large bottle of still Irish water. He had the three course, while I chose the 2 course menu.

Before our appetizers arrived we received a bread basket and butter.

He started with Bayonne Ham and melon, while I had the Caprese Salad.

The melon was juicy and the ham delicious.

The tomato – some of them were rarer like Baby Plum Tomatoes and Grape Tomatoes -, basil and mozzarella combination worked well.

His main course was Chicken Milanese, served with chips and a rocket / parmesan salad.

My grilled Sea Bass came with a large mixed salad and samphire.

We shared his dessert, a Valhrona chocolate and peanut butter cake with ice cream and biscuit crumbs. The only criticism would be about the crumbs. They didn’t necessarily enhance the dessert and could be left out. The thought behind it could have been, though, to add more texture or a decoration. Otherwise the cake and ice cream were decadent and moreish.

The whole meal was very enjoyable.

He had also a Chateaux Jolys dessert wine to round up the late lunch. He liked it and described part of the notes as apricot or peach and the wine as very light and refreshing.

The bill came in at 58.65 Euro (ca. 66 USD).

The staff was friendly and attentive.

We would return again based on the good experience.

Would we recommend this restaurant to a friend? YES!
    Would we visit again this restaurant for lunch/dinner in our future? YES!

uggboylovestravel
    Participant

September 2015, our lunch / second visit

Having liked our experience at Marco Pierre White’s Steakhouse & Grill earlier (Please see also review.) we decided to book a table for Sunday lunch in late September after our visit to the Gallery of Photography at Meeting House Sqare, Temple Bar, Dublin, Ireland.

We were recognized immediately, greeted warmly and brought to a corner table, which was already set.

There was no time frame given we had to vacate the table.

We decided to have the value lunch menu again. It had changed to reflect the season.

One starter was still the same. I had it during our previous visit and it had been delicious, so we both chose the Caprese Salad. The quality was the same, but the mix of the tomatoes was slightly different. It was very fresh, light, healthy and tasty at the same time.

He followed with a roasted half chicken and beurre blanc. It came with fries. They had a lemony flavor. The chicken was moist and delicious.

My main course was gnocchi with mushrooms, peas and truffle oil. It was a very satisfying, earthy and moreish dish and well balanced. A good seasonal dish.

We shared a dessert, the lemon raspberry posset. It was served more like a hot beverage on a dainty saucer with flower print. To our surprise it was lighter then usual, but extremely tasty.

We shared a large bottle of still water, Fior Uisce, True Water and he had a glass of Joly’s sweet wine with our dessert. The wine was very refreshing and complimented the posset perfectly.

Staff was attentive and friendly. It seemed there were no walk in guests and the staff/diner ratio was just right. The atmosphere was pleasant and felt upscale.

We paid exactly the same as on our first time at 58.65 Euros or 66 USD. Good value all around.

Marco Pierre White’s Steakhouse and Grill has turned out to be one of our favorite restaurants in Dublin. We will be back for more.

Would we recommend this restaurant to a friend? YES!
    Would we want again lunch / dinner in our future at this restaurant? YES!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Sounds great Uggboy. A great review as always. I might be visiting Dublin in November, and if so I’ll certainly try the restaurant.

My only criticism would be the accompaniment to the chicken Milanese. Since the Milanese is deep fried, a better dish would be a risotto or even, like the Viennese, potato salad. But that’s down to personal taste but is the way it’s served in Austria or Italy.

uggboylovestravel
    Participant

@LuganoPirate, thanks for all your compliments. Should you visit Dublin in November we would highly recommend a lunch or dinner at Marco Pierre White’s.

Thanks for your advise in regards on the Chicken Milanese, it was very tasty and this being Dublin, Ireland and I guess this counts for the UK too, chips [fries] is something of a “natural” accompaniment.

I like Wiener Schnitzel too served with a light cucumber / potato salad or a Veal Milanese with an arugula salad.

Thanks and safe travels.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Mmmmm Uggboy, you’re making me hungry now. 2 more hours to dinner but it will be a homemade Gratin. Yum.

uggboylovestravel
    Participant

@LuganoPirate, that’s good to hear, enjoy. Cheers and safe travels.

openfly
    Participant

MPW restaurants in London and much of the UK might be franchises. MPW has visited and checked very few. I have found them to be mediocre at best. There’s much better out there.

uggboylovestravel
    Participant

@openfly, we had so far only good experiences with the offerings at the Dawson Street location in Dublin.

Of course there’s always a choice and experiences will vary for individual diners.

Safe travels. Cheers!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls