Manufacturing in Vietnam and/or Thailand

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

stevescoots
    Participant

Anybody on the forum in the manufacturing industry with their own operations in Vietnam and/or Thailand?

just started looking at setting up another site in either place and it would be nice to get some boots on the ground perspectives

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I have a friend who produces clothing for M&S in Thailand. He’s always told me he regrets not having shut his UK factory earlier after all the union hassles, ref tape, government bureaucracy and high taxes. He’s not had a problem there since he started 12 years ago.

Tramor01
    Participant

@stevescoots
    I spend a lot of time working in Vietnam, and have a good friend who is Director for Europe within the Vietnamese Ministry of Industry and Trade (MOIT) if that’s of any help?
    He might be able to advise you.
    I’m in Hanoi at the moment (until Saturday)
    I’m meeting him for coffee tomorrow morning so I can give you his email details if you like?
    I’m happy for Business Traveller to give you my email details

stevescoots
    Participant

LP, Thanks. Unfortunately, China is getting the same and now fixed operational costs are almost the same as EU average apart from salaries where low to medium skill wages still much lower, senior managers are now commanding close to UK wages, maximum working week is 48 hours etc. 5 years ago average production worker monthly cost was $200 USD for 70 hours a week. Now it’s $600 for 48-hour week, whilst at the same time selling prices are down 20+% many of our customers, particularly Japanese are taking an “anywhere in SEA except China” approach to their investment plans, and naturally want suppliers to follow suit.

Tramor, thanks for the info, unfortunately I didn’t get onto the forum until now so missed your coffee meeting (BT forum. com is blocked in china) I am interested to make contact. My personal email is <a href="mailto:[email protected]“>[email protected] I don’t mind that one being in public domain. I am assessing Hanoi also and will be visiting a couple of the FTZ’s up there in January.

stevescoots
    Participant

LP, Thanks. Unfortunately, China is getting the same and now fixed operational costs are almost the same as EU average apart from salaries where low to medium skill wages still much lower, senior managers are now commanding close to UK wages, maximum working week is 48 hours etc. 5 years ago average production worker monthly cost was $200 USD for 70 hours a week. Now it’s $600 for 48-hour week, whilst at the same time selling prices are down 20+% many of our customers, particularly Japanese are taking an “anywhere in SEA except China” approach to their investment plans, and naturally want suppliers to follow suit.

Tramor, thanks for the info, unfortunately I didn’t get onto the forum until now so missed your coffee meeting (BT forum. com is blocked in china) I am interested to make contact. My personal email is <a href="mailto:[email protected]“>[email protected] I don’t mind that one being in public domain. I am assessing Hanoi also and will be visiting a couple of the FTZ’s up there in January.

Tramor01
    Participant

Stevescoots – I’ve emailed you the relevant contact details here in Hanoi. Ironically he just got back from Shanghai yesterday.

AsiaPacific
    Participant

HI Steve … I am in Thailand . for many years now .. not sure what you are looking to manufacture? … but happy to help with any advice if i can . cheers . T.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls