Mandarin Oriental Hotel, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Anonymous

uggboylovestravel
    Participant

July 2015, 1 night / 2 days

Before our flight to Dublin via Dubai, UAE we had two nights in Kuala Lumpur. We’ve known where to stay on our last night – the Sama-Sama at Kuala Lumpur International Airport, because our flight was leaving early in the morning. Please see review.

The first night was unclear, but we definitely wanted to spend it in the city. He wanted to have a hotel near the Petronas Towers; I the Villa Samadhi, because I enjoyed our last stay very much. After agreeing we wanted to go to the Suria KLCC and see the fountain show, it was clear we needed a hotel that was centrally located, so we decided to book the Mandarin Oriental and a Twin Tower View Room, which had been on our bucket list for ages.

We arrived by taxi. The doorman and bell captain greeted us warmly. We were directed to the reception. The queue was surprisingly long, but waiting time was minimal.

The check in was quickly done and all important features of the hotel explained. We were then brought to the elevators.

Finding our room was easy and soon we were gazing out towards the Petronas Twin Towers, the park and the fountain.

Our room was large and held in different brown and beige tones. We liked it and didn’t see any need of it being refurbished or renovated, because the furniture was in top condition and looked classic and timeless. We know, that’s a personal taste thing.

We loved the comfortable bed and seating area. We also received two oranges as welcome gift. Free water was daily provided and replenished during turn down.

Reading material on the coffee table included the Mandarin Oriental Magazine, National Geographic, KL100, Vision KL and essential Kuala Lumpur.

There was a writing desk with two chairs and a complete set of office supplies, a credenza and flat screen TV with regional and international channels.

The minibar was stocked with Swell Juices, Acqua Panna and San Pellegrino water, Asahi Beer and different liquors, snacks and the obligatory pot noodles.

The wardrobe was spacious.

Our fully marbled bathroom was on the smaller side, but well equipped with a separate bath tub and shower and a sink. The toilet was in a separate room. The only critisism I might have is that the toilet room was slightly too tight and I banged myself a couple of times on the toilet tissue holder.

Amenities were by Senses, exclusive for the Mandarin Oriental KL. We liked them a lot.

We had in room breakfast on the day of our departure, but also went to the newly opened Aqua Restaurant & Bar beside the pool. A review about this is going to follow.

Beside 24 hours in room dining there are also The Mandarin Grill, Lai Po Heen, Mosaic, Casbah, The Wasabi Bistro, the MO Bar, the Sultan Lounge, Lounge on the Park and the Mandarin Cake Shop.

When we were staying a pop up restaurant Azimendi 88 by Eneko Atxa from Azurmendi Restaurant was also on offer for 88 days. Eneko Atxa holds three Michelin stars.

There is also a spa on the same level as Aqua.

We organized also Limousine transfer (Mercedes E-Class) to the Sama-Sama KLIA Hotel with the concierge. It went smooth and cost 375 MYR (ca. 81.15 Euro or 88.75 USD).

The wakeup call arrived punctual. We had the previous night thought about what we wanted to order for breakfast and were ready to order. Room Service advised it would be delivered within 30 minutes. My fiancé had ordered the Mandarin Breakfast and I had the Arabic. We both could choose a hot beverage and a juice of our choice. His included sliced fruits with berries, yogurt, a bakery basket and waffles. Mine included sliced papaya, honey and lime, Arabic mezzeh selection and Arabic bread, Shakshouka eggs (scrambled eggs with onion and tomato) and Ful Medames (mashed fava beans with onion and garlic). The breakfast arrived on time and the bill was correct. The amount was 170 MYR (ca. 37 Euro or ca. 40.25 USD). The waiter and I were chatting a bit and I learned that he is from Penang. The service was attentive. The breakfast was delicious, it was a lot on offer, all high quality. The Arabic pastries were a delight as were the different dips.

Before checking out we explored the lobby, bought a Mandarin Oriental branded polo shirt and took in the new design of the superb and memorable public spaces of this elegant luxury hotel.

Having visited the hotel before our stay, it was unrecognizable. We enjoyed the Chinese elements and the idea of a pop up restaurant.

As always check out came too fast. Everything was in order and the checkout was done efficient and friendly. Our limousine was already waiting and our luggage in the boot.

We would stay here again, when looking for a luxury option in the vicinity of the Petronas Twin Towers and Suria KLCC, which is just a few steps from the lobby, when taking the right exit.

Would we recommend this luxury hotel to a friend? YES!
    Would we want to stay at this luxury hotel again in our future? YES!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls