Manchester to Tel Aviv, who will step up?

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• jetsettraveluk
    Participant

It’s been a while now since Monarch went bust. They use dto operate two flights weekly to Tel Aviv and on occasion put on extra flights in peak season. Currently easyjet is the only carrier serving this route also only twice weekly.
    From my personal experiance all these flight are full.
    London to Tel Aviv has well over 10 daily flights from LHR, LTN and LGW.
    The Jewish community in Northern England and tourists alike wonder who will step up and replace a direct daily flight MAN-TLV.

Perhaps when LY get more delivery of their 787 Dreamliners they will have spare aircraft… Who knows?

pheighdough
    Participant

Wizz seem to be doing rather well on the Tel Aviv route from Luton. They are a well funded airline with lots of new Airbus NEOs on their way, and whenever I’ve used them they are always full. Maybe they could fill the gap to Tel Aviv, using a W service from Budapest?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

It’s been a while now since Monarch went bust.

Maybe this is informative on their choice of routes?

Tel Aviv is not a high margin route and I don’t see anyone picking it up from MAN.

bluemooner
    Participant

[quote quote=874854]

Tel Aviv is not a high margin route and I don’t see anyone picking it up from MAN.[/quote]

You say it is not a high margin route.
    Can you explain more.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=874868]

Tel Aviv is not a high margin route and I don’t see anyone picking it up from MAN.

Can you explain more.[/quote]

My understanding is that Tel Aviv (from various UK airports) provides high volumes of passengers, but profitability is not at the top end of the league (e.g. compared to West African routes).

easyJet performs well on the route, due to the business model, but seem happy to stick at 2 per week and I don’t see anyone else coming in and taking them on, when there is already a lot of southern based options, easily accessible by train/car (e.g. Luton).

DanielRawson
    Participant

Jet2 used to ply the route from Manchester and when I used it, it always seemed busy. Wonder why they stopped it?

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

El Al to relaunch Manchester-Tel Aviv route

1 user thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=874917]

Can you explain more.

My understanding is that Tel Aviv (from various UK airports) provides high volumes of passengers, but profitability is not at the top end of the league (e.g. compared to West African routes).

easyJet performs well on the route, due to the business model, but seem happy to stick at 2 per week and I don’t see anyone else coming in and taking them on, when there is already a lot of southern based options, easily accessible by train/car (e.g. Luton).[/quote]

The prices quoted by El Al seem very competitive (against EasyJet) but the problem on this route seems to be the lack of business traffic, which brings the profit for the ElAl service model.

However, Luton is NOT easily accessed by NW England passengers – no direct train and the M6/M1 car route is currently awful; with almost 50% road works, one is very lucky to do that journey in under 4 hours – and longer is frequent. I understand that most people not using EasyJet go via Frankfurt or Zurich, so this new service may attract them.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=903600]However, Luton is NOT easily accessed by NW England passengers – no direct train and the M6/M1 car route is currently awful; with almost 50% road works, one is very lucky to do that journey in under 4 hours – and longer is frequent. I understand that most people not using EasyJet go via Frankfurt or Zurich, so this new service may attract them.[/quote]

You misunderstand my comment.

MAN has a very large catchment area, many of whom can can take a direct train to Luton Parkway.

These are not people based in the NW of England.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=903634]

However, Luton is NOT easily accessed by NW England passengers – no direct train and the M6/M1 car route is currently awful; with almost 50% road works, one is very lucky to do that journey in under 4 hours – and longer is frequent. I understand that most people not using EasyJet go via Frankfurt or Zurich, so this new service may attract them.

You misunderstand my comment.

MAN has a very large catchment area, many of whom can can take a direct train to Luton Parkway.

These are not people based in the NW of England.[/quote]

Thanks FDOS. However, I doubt that many on the East Midlands to St Pancras line, which goes through Luton (and near which I live, so know it well) would use MAN-TLV as a practical route, so this announcement is irrelevant to them.

I am originally from Manchester, where I lived for 60 years and have many friends there: it is from what I have been told by them that I made the statement “I understand that most people not using EasyJet go [to TLV] via Frankfurt or Zurich”.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=903636]it is from what I have been told by them that I made the statement “I understand that most people not using EasyJet go [to TLV] via Frankfurt or Zurich”.[/quote]

When considering people located near MAN, I wouldn’t disagree with that point.

My point is that there isn’t probably a large, profitable, user base.

We shall see.

canucklad
    Participant

I’ll start this comment by admitting I’ve never been to Israel , although Tel Aviv and the Holy land is high up on my bucket list.

However , I do know quite a few friends and colleagues who have made the trip.
    And bar 1 , they all said, although it was a fascinating place and they enjoyed the trip, for them it was truly a once in a lifetime trip.

Most did not find it as welcoming a place for visitors as elsewhere and as such have no plans for a repeat visit.

This is possibly the challenge that the airlines have, a lack of sustainable repeat leisure travel.
    And why EL AL clearly relies heavily on it business travellers model, supplemented by (I suspect) a Jewish population whose loyalties lie with the national carrier.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

UK to Tel Aviv is an interesting route for a number of reasons. Not only does it cater for the large Jewish communities of London and the Leeds / Manchester areas, visiting family and friends for either the religious or secular holidays, but also it caters for the ever growing number of business men/women who commute between the 2 countries on a weekly basis. I have several friends who are included in this category of traveller, who depart on a Thursday and return on a Sunday, with their families living in one country and their work offices being in another.

Until recently, El Al catered for nearly all of the commuting traffic, but now it appears that BA are trying to break into this market, which does need keen pricing and also flexibility.

In addition, Israel is home to the largest gay community, perhaps the only ‘openly and accepted’ gay community in the Middle East and the value of the Pink Pound is recognised by the airlines and country.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls