Manchester-London travel options restricted

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Last week you will have read our report on the cuts being proposed by UK rail.

Industry body RDG stated that train operators would be reducing schedules to 72 per cent of normal levels.

It was suggested readers check schedules before planning any rail journeys before setting out.

This advice is certainly true should anyone be making an essential journey between London and Manchester or v.v where the cuts are more severe.

When checking schedules I was surprised to see that Avanti will be operating just one *direct* hourly train next week.

In normal times Avanti would operate three an hour.

Airlines are not immune. British Airways is also cutting back.

Ba.com displays a core schedule of just two flights a day MAN-LHR-MAN next week.

mkcol74
    Participant

Avanti will be operating 4 trains per hour from Euston from Monday.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

That is strange mkcol74.

I checked the information with Trainline.com which as you may know feeds off the National Rail database.

I have rechecked again for travel Manchester-London Jan 18, returning London-Manchester Jan 19.

Trainline shows one *direct* train Manchester-London. There is another but it involves a change at Crewe and therefore a longer journey time to London.

For London-Manchester there is just that one direct train displayed.

mkcol74
    Participant

[postquote quote=1089024]

I think you’ve misunderstood my short reply earlier.
    There will be 4 Avanti trains per hour from Euston, full stop. Not just to Manchester but to anywhere.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

My apologies for the misunderstanding mkcol74.

In which case this is a major service reduction considering the frequency which Avanti would normally offer.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls