Man climbs on top of BA plane

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=972103][/postquote]

Well he was also subsequently banned for 2.5 years for a doping violation, so I wouldn’t overdo the tea and sympathy Tim.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Inquisitive
    Participant

Most environmental activists know little about how the world is run and how their own countries are behaving. Little knowledge is truly dangerous.

The teen sensation Greta attracted world attention. Does she know how much energy is being spent to produce the electric cells that powered her boat from Europe to USA? She will be surprised.
    And how did she return?

And most importantly does she know Sweden produces 4.5 metric ton carbon emissions per capita per year? That is almost 3 times of India that is being criticised for using more coal.

Activists shall act in their countries first before criticising all others.
    Also western countries created most carbon emissions for the past 50years (and still these countries are highest producers per capita), so they shall be careful before lecturing others.

The global warming is a serious issue, international agreements like Paris accord etc. must be adhered to; but there is no need to carry out dramatic demonstrations.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Mrblanco
    Participant

Long time lurker here but thought I would chip in on this.

I agree the disruption is frustrating, but do think it is necessary to be effective. If protestors were at the side of the road shouting we wouldn’t be talking about them now. Whether it is the suffragettes or the civil rights movement, history shows that protestors need to disrupt people to be heard.

While XR has different ‘tribes’, they have mostly thoughtful in blocking planes/cars rather than the tube network. They have also been admirably non violent – which is the reason the police have so much trouble getting rid of them.

On a tangent – a lot of people call them out for being hypocrites (using a diesel generator etc). I think this is a little short sighted – it wouldn’t be fair to dismiss a village resident’s request for an elderly bus service on the basis that the resident drove to the council meeting. The group are asking for system change, not saying that they are perfect and everyone should be like them.

If you agree that the climate crisis is a big issue and can think of a better way of protesting / getting the point across then it would be genuinely be worth suggesting this to XR or starting your own movement. If it’s as effective as what is going on now I’m sure people will jump behind that and it would stop the disruption.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

What has the Para medal got to do with it? Confused here.

1 user thanked author for this post.

TupeloKid
    Participant

[postquote quote=972275][/postquote]

Could Greta have arranged a video call to the UN?

cwoodward
    Participant

This sort annoying and dangerous activity is unfortunately becoming more and more prevalent and perpertraters of such stupidity should in my opinion be prosecuted to the full extent of the law regardless.
    More and more often people and organisations that hold very minority views on a spectrum of often flakey subjects are, instead of arguing their cases in conventional and acceptable ways aggressively attempting to force their views on the majority by causing disruption,damage annoyance and fear to the general public.

These self opinionated,self obsessed ‘entitled” individuals and minority groups are causing more an more havoc and need to be stopped particularly when they start obstructing public transport, airports and aircraft. It is indeed drawing a long bow to to deam this sort of activity ‘admirably non violent’! Calling this chap an ‘utter waster’is I agree wrong – more of an ‘utter idiot’ would perhaps be closer to the mark.
    I have a deal of sympathy with some of the ’causes’ espoused by these groups but these aggressive antisocial activities are not going to win them many friends.

On another travel forum I was reading a thread complaining that airlines are not offering full range’vegan’dishes and that one choice was not enough. The thread was joined by several strident voices in support who became angry when it was pointed out that vegan travellers constitute a minute minority of passengers and for airlines to offer a vegan meal choice at all was to be applauded and perhaps it would be a good idea for them to bring their vegan food if they needed more variety.
    All manor of aggressive retaliatory actions were suggested in order to force airlines comply with these demands.

5 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=972372]and that one choice was not enough.[/quote]

@cwoodward
    – they actually always have 2 choices – take it is one or leave it, is two…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

As some have said, someone is going to get seriously hurt – irrelevant of the protest subject, mob rule wins no arguments

https://news.sky.com/video/extinction-rebellion-protestor-dragged-off-tube-by-angry-commuters-11837411

Terry
    Participant

It’s a good thing he didn’t do it in Miami. Security might shoot him! (I’d probably pay for the bullet). I believe it’s a felony here.

2 users thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

If everytime Greta “Iceberg” spoke everyone turned off their TV’s, think how much electricity would be saved thus reducing carbon emissions!!
    (with thanks to Private Eye for that). 😉

8 users thanked author for this post.

OneA
    Participant

British para-olympian with impaired vision? How do you climb in top of a plane with “impaired vision”?? Is there some cheating going on here?
    Removing the steps and shutting the door until he pleaded to be let down would have been a cheap and effective punishment.
    Hes clearly no more visually impaired than those who cant see that a 1.5 degree warming of Earth is simply an inevitable cycle for the planet, just like the demise of the dinosaurs! Now put your flip flops on and go to work!

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

He seems to have started a trend, another of these idiots climbed on top of Tube train this morning. Maybe he just wanted to get a seat!

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls