Malta travel in 2021

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Chris in Makati
    Participant

MartynSinclair wrote:
    Malta stamped me in and stamped me out…

How was your trip? My visit is still on for July 9th. Any “must sees” that I shouldn’t miss while I’m there. I’m not sure how much will be open yet.

THANKS

A 72 hour trip – Malta is very much open although only left hotel for my daily run and my client taking me out on Saturday. Lunch at the Waterpolo club

http://taxbiexwaterpoloclub.com/index.html

Must have table is 101, view was amazing… especially Gabriele Volpi’s yacht parked opposite. Then went for a quick walk around Mdina in the blistering heat.

Stayed at The Westin, which was the last hotel I was in prior to lock downs.

Great to be travelling again, but the challenges and hassles, for a shortish business trip, especially with the confusing and expensive covid tests does take the shine off the travel… Bear in mind this 3 day trip needs 5 covid tests, 5 days quarantine and paperwork galore to complete online…

3 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

More fun games from our divorced family in planet EU.

https://deputyprimeminister.gov.mt/en/health-promotion/covid-19/Pages/travel.aspx

For entry into Malta from TODAY, digital confirmation of vaccine is only allowable from an EU app, the British NHS version is currently not permitted. Ex UK, passengers need to apply for a letter from the NHS website.

It really is becoming a total farce….

1 user thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

“Farce” is an understatement Martyn.

Some of their “red list” countries have done better than they have and some of their acceptable countries are ridiculous. Politics?

rferguson
    Participant

I’d recommend going to this website, and requesting your NHS Vaccine letter:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/covid-pass/get-your-covid-pass-letter/

It can take up to five days to be processed and with all the fast movement of requirements and what is acceptable and what isn’t as proof, it is probably well worth having at home.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

If you have the NHS app you can generate your COVID Pass letter automatically there and then. Download it as a PDF and print it out.

You can also do this on the NHS website using your NHS login.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1104389]Reply | Quote
    Chris in Makati
    Participant

If you have the NHS app you can generate your COVID Pass letter automatically there and then. Download it as a PDF and print it out.

You can also do this on the NHS website using your NHS login.[/quote]

Apparently Chris, there is a worry the barcode can be copied or forged, hence the UK app will not be recognised for entry into Malta as it was 6 days ago. Naturally the EU app, is still valid…

I hope your letter comes in time…

Chris in Makati
    Participant

[postquote quote=1104390]

OK. I didn’t realise there was any difference between the letter you download from the NHS website and the one they send you by post. There’s no indication of that on the NHS page linked to above. The way it’s worded implies they are just differents ways of obtaining the same document.

I’ve requested one by post and hopefully it should arrive in time as I don’t leave until the end of next week.

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=1104395]OK. I didn’t realise there was any difference between the letter you download from the NHS website and the one they send you by post[/quote]

This is precisely why i’ve ordered the ‘Test Certificate’ in the post. Then I will compare that one with the in-app PDF. All you need is some border or airline jobsworth to say ‘but this one doesn’t say x, y or z’. So, i’ll cover as many bases as I can! 🙂

ASK1945
    Participant

Last week I cancelled my flight which I was due to take tomorrow. But, if I was flying next week I would certainly do as you suggest – it’s called “Belt and Braces”.

ASK1945
    Participant

According to today’s media, apparently Malta did a u-turn last night (after dozens of prospective visitors were turned away at their departure airports yesterday) and from today will accept the NHS App on a phone after all, 24 hours after implementing a rule that they wouldn’t.

Another dysfunctional government?

How many potential holidaymakers decided to book for elsewhere yesterday, hearing the earlier news on Tuesday night?

Do these (government) people not think things through before making decisions?

Apparently not.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

That’s certainly good news, as long as the Maltese government doesn’t change the rules again. It wouldn’t have been so bad if they had given people more notice so they had time to get the NHS letter through the post.

I applied for my letter yesterday, and as long as the NHS guidance that “You should get this letter within 5 working days” hold true I should be ok to travel there on July 9th, even if they do backtrack again.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1104400]So, i’ll cover as many bases as I can! 🙂[/quote]

Swamp them with paperwork , it’s the only solution.

I’ve just paid for 8 of us to head there in September , the chat / advice from my friends around the table was contradictory and confusing. Dependant on which media outlet they had read or had listened shaped the various opinion’s . As important was the fact they’re judgement was almost exclusively based on a single source. once i asked them the following questions the debate eased…

1) What do we need to do to leave Scotland & the (UK) ?
    2) What does Malta Air need for us to board
    5) What will Malta be demanding off us on our arrival ?
    4) And the UK & Malta require before we leave ?
    5) Finally , what will Nicola’s gang demand of us back at EDI ?

Conclusion, air travel and holidaying abroad has become a right pain in the ass !!

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

My letter from the NHS re vaccination confirmation just arrived.

The main difference difference to the .pdf you can print from the NHS app,

** there is no validity period for the certificate,

** no QR code,

** just a bar code.

…just another piece of paper to travel with….

Chris in Makati
    Participant

[postquote quote=1104966]

How long did your letter take to arrive after applying for it?

It looks like Malta have relented on their earlier insistence on the posted letter, and will now accept the app as well, but it would still be wise to obtain it just in case.

rferguson
    Participant

I’ve just received my letter too. I think it definitely looks more ‘official’ than the PDF via the app.

Importantly, it is headed with what the Malta authorities were originally demanding. ‘Coronavirus (CIVID-19) vaccination confirmation – two doses received’.

I know Malta did a back flip but I definitely think it’s better to be armed with both the app AND the ‘certificate’ than just the app.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls